Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20008 with the 3.6 v6...

So I have the P0089 (which has morphed into some misfire codes as of late). My OBDII told me that. I took it to a dealer to get the full VAGcom report and they told me, "you have the P0089 that will be $110.00, please." They did tell me that they didn't know why it was happening, but that they would start w/ the fuel pressure sensor, but no guarantees. Thanks, so much, VW dealer!!!!

So the pressure sensor came today, but even though the number is correct, it doesn't act like it wants to fit. I haven't even unscrewed the old one yet, but the plastic clip is bigger on the current part (so the socket won't even fit) and the electrical plug/sensor doesn't seem to fit into the clip, anyway.

So, I wondered if the sensor I'm THINKING is the HPFP pressure sensor, is, in fact something else and I'm just looking in the wrong place.

IMG_20170103_144514889.jpg The HPFP is the lower right and the fuel sensor (unplugged, but still screwed in) is there in the upper left -- black plastic.

Again, unless I'm completely wrong about the location.

My plan is to do the sensor and the filter and see if that doesn't solve my problems. I've heard alot of people saying the sensor is a 3 minute job, but no tutorials for tightwad-ish non-mechanics, like me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mounted in my Touareg, the HPFP appears upsidedown compared to most (that I'm seeing in Google images) -- but if that's the case then my sensor should be mounted on the right side of the pump (the right side of this photo) with easy access. If I have to take the whole HPFP off just to find this sensor, I'm probably out of my league. Sigh.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clearly this is a captivating thread, but I hate unanswered questions so...

Yes, that's the HPFP. The sensor picture is the fuel rail sensor.

You're welcome.

:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought the 08 V6 and I've had a couple of different codes pertaining to low fuel pressure (P310B) or airflow too low at idle (12408). I had my oil changed Monday and they wiped the codes. But the light came back on eventually anyway. Now the only error I'm getting is the P0089 that you've got going on without any misfires to my knowledge. The gentleman I bought it from got the code once before and said that he simply took the gas cap off and put it back on and he never got the code again.

I would love to save some bucks by fixing the problem myself, but it seems like it could be anything from a fuel pump, filter or regulator. I just ran a can of sea foam through it before I ever got any of the codes.

Did you find the fuel pressure sensor? Any resolution to the issue with your code/Touareg?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bought the 08 V6 and I've had a couple of different codes pertaining to low fuel pressure (P310B) or airflow too low at idle (12408). I had my oil changed Monday and they wiped the codes. But the light came back on eventually anyway. Now the only error I'm getting is the P0089 that you've got going on without any misfires to my knowledge. The gentleman I bought it from got the code once before and said that he simply took the gas cap off and put it back on and he never got the code again.

I would love to save some bucks by fixing the problem myself, but it seems like it could be anything from a fuel pump, filter or regulator. I just ran a can of sea foam through it before I ever got any of the codes.

Did you find the fuel pressure sensor? Any resolution to the issue with your code/Touareg?
I replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump (there is only one pump on the 2008!) and the fuel pressure codes went away (been a few hundred miles and no code). I didn't replace the sensor. I was just planning on replacing the filter (relatively easy fix) but decided as long as I had the whole thing opened up, I would go ahead and put a new pump in. When I released the pressure on the flange/pump side (passenger) there was very little fuel pressure, which made me even more suspicious about the pump, even though I knew it had been replaced about 5 years ago. Lots of great tutorials on how to open up the back seat/gas tank. If you decide to do that, I could tell you some of the differences with the tuorials you'll find on youtube. I started getting some pretty bad misfires at the same time... that I traced to a crudded up #1 spark plug and coil.

You'll notice that our HPFP on our year doesn't have the pressure sensor on it. I did find a sensor nearby (see photo) that I wondered if it might be the fuel pressure sensor. So I'm not sure

IMG_20170124_240609835.jpg

IMG_20170124_240626501.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts