Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2012 Touareg TDI CPO back in October 2019 with 72k miles. I'm now at 85k miles. Two weeks ago as I was driving the glow plug light came on and the vehicle reduced power. The MIL illuminated shortly thereafter. I brought it to my trusted local dealership where I bought the car and have been using them for service on my other VWs for many years. They provided me with a Tiguan loaner and sent me on the way. I received a call shortly thereafter saying that there was an issue with the fuel system and they would be ordering parts. Fast forward two weeks and they are saying that all the parts have come in except for one and it is on national backorder. I spoke to them this morning and they've escalated to VW, but no timeline for it to be repaired. The dealership has been great, I don't mind the Tiguan and I know I'm not putting miles on my Touareg but it isn't convenient (i.e. can't put the dog in it, it doesn't have a hitch, roof rack, etc. so it isn't easy to travel with the kids). I know there is a lot going on in the world right now and I'm totally understanding, I just have a concern about the fact that parts aren't easily available for my Touareg and whether this is an indication of things to come. Anyone else have similar issues?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm in the same situation. My HPFP went out in mid January and VW is waiting for the one part to replace my fuel system. My dealership said the part was estimated to be available late May. My poor touareg will be sitting at the dealership for probably 6 months by the time I get it back.

Very poor planning on VW's part with inventory estimation considering how common these failures are.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since January! Guess we are waiting on the same part. I'm extremely unhappy with VW's handling of this. How does VW run out of fuel rails?

On the positive side, I've already put 2k miles on the loaner Tiguan that they gave me. Just did a round trip to secure my family's farm in CT this past weekend, fully loaded mostly highway driving I recorded 25.5mpg in Fuelly. Despite the fact it sounds like a lawn mower, the vehicle itself isn't half bad!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm in the same situation. My HPFP went out in mid January and VW is waiting for the one part to replace my fuel system. My dealership said the part was estimated to be available late May. My poor touareg will be sitting at the dealership for probably 6 months by the time I get it back.

Very poor planning on VW's part with inventory estimation considering how common these failures are.
HPFP going out is not a common failure.

Since January! Guess we are waiting on the same part. I'm extremely unhappy with VW's handling of this. How does VW run out of fuel rails?

On the positive side, I've already put 2k miles on the loaner Tiguan that they gave me. Just did a round trip to secure my family's farm in CT this past weekend, fully loaded mostly highway driving I recorded 25.5mpg in Fuelly. Despite the fact it sounds like a lawn mower, the vehicle itself isn't half bad!
Tiguans are awesome cars.. a totally different world from a Touareg, but still great. They handle like little go karts if you have the upper packages on them. My Tiguan averages 25.x mpg pretty much every tank.

You're saying the fuel rail is bad? Thats not a very common problem.. what the heck happened to it to stop working??

·
Registered
587 Posts
When the HPFP grenades you have to replace the fuel system and the cost is up to $16,000 to do so

It's a known issue with quite a few threads about it.

If you gave a Touareg Tdi, don't run the fuel tank less than 1/4 full, use premium diesel from filling stations that turn over their stock, and consider using a fuel additive too.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I know that it "happens", but it is not common at all. In fact, outside of the USA (where the rest of the world gets much better quality..) its almost unheard of for the injection pump to blow. Running fuel additive in the USA is almost a requirement in my opinion.. this will offset our terrible quality diesel fuel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well based on the number of threads that I've reviewed it is a fairly common issue here in the US. This is my second VW, my first being a 2011 VW Sportwagen TDI that I bought brand new. At 12k miles the HPFP grenaded and left me stranded with my 4 month old baby on the side of the road. I put another 112k miles on that vehicle after the fix and never had an issue with the HPFP. Seems to me that I have the same streak here with my Touareg as I've owned this one for 12k miles and suffered a HPFP failure. I am religious about my maintenance and not letting the fuel drop below a 1/4 of a tank. With the CPO I'm hesitant to put additive in given VW's stance on it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
You're confusing two different cars and motors. The HPFP failure rate IS higher in the 2.0 tdi ("higher".. I think its like 5% failure rate or something.. so.. not exactly "high") which is also caused by poor fuel quality

Lets also keep in mind the #1 cause of hpfp is actually misfueling with gasoline!

The reason you see a "high volume" of HPFP threads on here (which again, you're not actually seeing a whole lot) is because an online forum is where people come to bitch about their stuff breaking, not to gloat how it doesn't break lol. A higher concentration of people on automotive forums bitch more than gloat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're confusing two different cars and motors. The HPFP failure rate IS higher in the 2.0 tdi ("higher".. I think its like 5% failure rate or something.. so.. not exactly "high") which is also caused by poor fuel quality

Lets also keep in mind the #1 cause of hpfp is actually misfueling with gasoline!

The reason you see a "high volume" of HPFP threads on here (which again, you're not actually seeing a whole lot) is because an online forum is where people come to bitch about their stuff breaking, not to gloat how it doesn't break lol. A higher concentration of people on automotive forums bitch more than gloat.
I know they are completely different cars and motors but the common failure part is the HPFP. I agree that there is a higher rate of issues with the 2.0 (which is why I was willing to give the 3.0 a try) and also agree there are quite a few cases of misfueling. Regardless of the number of people complaining in the forums, VW should have addressed this issue and put in additional equipment to protect the fuel system in the case of a failure. I belong to the TDIForum as well and there was a guy (2micron) who made a filter assembly that attached to the fuel lines (container flow and pure flow) that captured any debris before they hit the injectors. He no longer produces the kits to my knowledge but there really should be something there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know that it "happens", but it is not common at all. In fact, outside of the USA (where the rest of the world gets much better quality..) its almost unheard of for the injection pump to blow. Running fuel additive in the USA is almost a requirement in my opinion.. this will offset our terrible quality diesel fuel.
Respectfully, it is very common for the Bosch CP4 HPFP on my T3 Touareg to fail. It's all vehicles like Chevy and Ford not Just VW. NHTSA has an investigation into it, and there is the lawsuit against Bosch. A google search for "CP4 HPFP failure" will return enough results to keep you busy all week. There are several causes for the failure, but most seem to point the pistons in the pump not having any alignment mechanism and this lets it turn and scrape the cam lobe getting shavings every where. The after market manufacturers already have a number of parts to help limit its failure and subsequent fuel system destruction if it does. When I finally get my treg back I will be getting some of these.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The number 1 failure is because of the united states ****ty ass quality diesel fuel. I'm gelling you as a percentage the number is very low in the touareg. As long as you don't misfuel and always use fuel stabilizer you'll be fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Respectfully, it is very common for the Bosch CP4 HPFP on my T3 Touareg to fail. It's all vehicles like Chevy and Ford not Just VW. NHTSA has an investigation into it, and there is the lawsuit against Bosch. A google search for "CP4 HPFP failure" will return enough results to keep you busy all week. There are several causes for the failure, but most seem to point the pistons in the pump not having any alignment mechanism and this lets it turn and scrape the cam lobe getting shavings every where. The after market manufacturers already have a number of parts to help limit its failure and subsequent fuel system destruction if it does. When I finally get my treg back I will be getting some of these.
Thanks for the support on this one. I'm new to the Touareg but not to TDIs. Any recommendations on good mfgs with aftermarket parts to help prevent this again? I'd like to keep my Treg out of warranty so will need to wait till then.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The number 1 failure is because of the united states ****ty ass quality diesel fuel. I'm gelling you as a percentage the number is very low in the touareg. As long as you don't misfuel and always use fuel stabilizer you'll be fine.
Yes our fuel has a lower cetane rating but VW doesn't endorse fuel additives. With my Treg under warranty I really don't want to deal with them giving me a hard time about my fuel quality. They did that the first time with my TDI JSW and it really pissed me off since I had receipts and everything. Then they tried to tell me I ran it out of fuel which wasn't possible given that i had fuelled up 150 miles prior. I now keep all my receipts and record them in fuelly with pictures.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yikes, sounds like they really put you through the ringer. There are definitely bypass kits but they're made for the bigger diesel v8 motors and I'd bet every dollar it would void your warranty running one.

My concern with not running additive would be NOT having issues under warranty and then over the warranty is gone it goes.

You can always pay to import a cp3 but then your warranty is probably toast also

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the support on this one. I'm new to the Touareg but not to TDIs. Any recommendations on good mfgs with aftermarket parts to help prevent this again? I'd like to keep my Treg out of warranty so will need to wait till then.
I don't have very many written down, and most only protect the fuel system when the CP4 fails. Aside from converting to a CP3 there is not much to prevent failure. The Chevy guys voluntarily treat it as a maintenance item and replace it every so often.

I am not sure what engine code you have, but I am waiting for Darkside to finish their CP3 conversion kit for my CATA engine (2011-2012 3.0 tdi). They do have a kit for the newer 3.0 tdi and the one for mine is in development. I will probably get their 2micron fuel filter as well. There are other places to get bypass valves metering valves with reinforced mesh.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well you guys do put it in perspective. Technically I have my bumper to bumper warranty for another 2 years (I'm going to push for VWOA to extend my warranty for the months that it has been in the shop). Before COVID-19 I was doing almost 1k a week so figure at the end of the two years maybe I'll go the either the replacement to a CP3 or installing a kit like the Darkside kit. Mine is a 2012 so I'm guessing it is a CATA engine like yours?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yes its a cata.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Just checking in have you heard any updates? My VWOA case manager is supposed to be following up with me today. At what point would you consider hiring a lawyer to have VW buy back the vehicle? I am very appreciative of the loaner but even with the minimal use that I'm using it for (primarily commuting between two houses 3hrs apart - long story but it has to be done and it is done with proper social distancing), it doesn't fit my family.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Find another Volkswagen or Audi dealer and be done with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The last update was another month before the parts arrive, if the pandemic doesn't slow it down. I asked my service rep to cross reference Audi and Porsche since they use the same engine components, but he said there is no stock anywhere for the one part. I was thinking about a lawyer as well. It is total BS that VW can keep my treg in the shop for 6 months or more while they manufacture parts. This stuff should be in inventory, the vehicle is not old enough yet to eliminate stock.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts