Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
At the risk of sounding like a broken record...ive never seen clear repaired except with a repaint
Appreciate the comments - you don't sound like a broken record. I'm still pursuing it because I don't know for sure if it's the clear coat. Nobody really does unfortunately.
There is just too many unknowns with this situation... If you knew what actually caused us we could definitely give you better advisement but we are completely shooting in the dark right now. I would have a really high end detail shop and do a multi-stage, more like a three to five stage buff job and see what happens. Should run you around 500 bucks
Agreed. The body shop (which is a really good shop) suggested the multi stage buff out which is around 600. I need to find out the difference between what they are planning on doing and what the detailer already did, to make some assumptions on if it will last or not. I don't see that I have many other options at this point.

I'm planning on keeping the car long term and really like it to look mint, or I wouldn't bother. But it does matter to me at this point

·
Registered
09 TDi
789 Posts
I haven't reread the entire thread so don't recall how much area is the concern but $600 buys a respray for a panel or 2. Insure wouldn't spend that much for a "buff" without a no cure no pay guarantee. Just keep in mind..and I, sure you already know this...the more they buff the less paint/clear you have left.

gl w this

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Unless you spent similar money at the last guy, he definitely didn't do a multi stage job. Guaranteed he didn't touch wet sand etc

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I haven't reread the entire thread so don't recall how much area is the concern but $600 buys a respray for a panel or 2. Insure wouldn't spend that much for a "buff" without a no cure no pay guarantee. Just keep in mind..and I, sure you already know this...the more they buff the less paint/clear you have left.

gl w this
I see it clearly on 3/4 of one side and the entire back. People with a better eye than mine (or better lighting) saw some of it on the whole car. The 600 was to multi stage buff the whole car. I wouldn't expect them to give me my money back if they did a good job and the film came back. That was the thought behind them doing a small portion and then waiting to see if it comes back. If it doesn't come back on the small part than it shouldn't come back anywhere and problem solved. In theory.

You mention that the more they buff, the less clear/paint is left. How does that show itself down the road? Quicker rusting? Less shine? Not sure what could happen.
Unless you spent similar money at the last guy, he definitely didn't do a multi stage job. Guaranteed he didn't touch wet sand etc
Correct. He was a detailer and not a body shop. I paid less than 1/2 that. He did a great job but I assume it was with compound and polish/wax. I need to have an understanding of exactly what the multi stage "buffing" is that the auto shop is proposing so I can make a better decision.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Typically multi-stage includes wash, clay bar, wet sand, polish, high speed orbital buffer. The wet sand and polish are the big ones.

A high-end detailer is who you should be seeking, not a body shop

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Typically multi-stage includes wash, clay bar, wet sand, polish, high speed orbital buffer. The wet sand and polish are the big ones.

A high-end detailer is who you be seeking, not a body shop
Interesting. I did go to a high end detailer a few months ago. Not exactly sure what all his steps were but and he got the car looking like new. It came out much better than I expected. But the film came back. When I brought the car back to him he suggested I show it to a body shop to see if they knew what was going on. He is the guy that said maybe the paint is oxidizing. He was just guessing.

When I brought it to the 2nd body shop he suggested that he could get it out with some type of multi stage buffing. I told him the detailer already buffed it and the film came back and he had a comment to the effect of "detailers don't do this kind of buff out". He took it into the shop and did his thing to a small section for a trial.

Seems like I need to find out exactly what he proposes to do and what the detailer already did to see if I'd just be duplicating a method that wasn't a real fix.

I'm confident I've been dealing with two good shops, but still in the dark here.

PIA - love the car and just want it to look great again!

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Ahh so it sounds like the second guy, the body shop, know what he's doing. Ask exactly what he's got planned and let us know

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ahh so it sounds like the second guy, the body shop, know what he's doing. Ask exactly what he's got planned and let us know
The update is...the two small sections the 2nd shop did looked great and after 2 months the film did not come back. So he did the whole car and put a ceramic coating on yesterday. It looks beautiful and I'm happy. I don't think it will come back. If it does I'll probably just wax and forget. Spent enough time and thought on it (as did some of you members!). Thanks for the input.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Awesome!! Glad it's straight!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts