Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for off topic but I'm just trying to get as much info as I can anywhere I can:)

My company offered me position in Cairns with relocation in about May/June and I have 3 weeks to decide.

We(me and my gf) live in Sydney and enjoy it however Sydney has its own cons (traffic, housing affordability etc) and pros.

I would appreciate any insight from anyone who lives or have lived in Cairns.
What suburbs would you recommend?
How how is it with services such as schools (planning family:) and hospitals?
Anything we should know/be aware in Cairns?
General advice?

Thanks a lot to everyone

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't mind the heat but Cairns can be a bit too hot and wet at times.
Someone we know who lives there recently commented on a growing "underclass" that was creating a few social problems.

( In the context of this post underclass may be considered synonymous with bogan ….:) )

·
Registered
457 Posts
Anything we should know/be aware in Cairns?
Crockagators
Raindrops the size of buckets

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,175 Posts
How long is the relocation expected to be for?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
i grew up in Palm Cove in the 70's but i see from google street view its turned into another Noosa. Still a trip on foot into the rain forest to cool off in the creeks is the best.... O and Mossman gorge after a bit of rain

·
Registered
360 Posts
Great part of the country.... lived in Cairns for 6 months and Weipa (another 1000kms north) for 5 years. Depends on what you want out of life - Cairns has good schools, good hospital, good facilities (it's no small town anymore). Great outdoors activities. The climate, it's tropical... depends if you like the tropics. Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great part of the country.... lived in Cairns for 6 months and Weipa (another 1000kms north) for 5 years. Depends on what you want out of life - Cairns has good schools, good hospital, good facilities (it's no small town anymore). Great outdoors activities. The climate, it's tropical... depends if you like the tropics. Cheers Paul.
Thanks Paul,

We love the outdoors and tropical climate is not a problem for us

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,175 Posts
anything from long-term to permanent
right.

is there work for your partner? Is she keen about the move?

know anyone in Cairns (friends/relatives). this always helps when settling into a new location. then again, not knowing anyone could mean it's a bigger adventure.

Job prospects good? Promotion? You'll get better tax rates there (IIRC) - being north of the Tropic.

Life's short...if it ticks enough boxes...I say do it. But have plan B available just in case.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
right.

is there work for your partner? Is she keen about the move?

know anyone in Cairns (friends/relatives). this always helps when settling into a new location. then again, not knowing anyone could mean it's a bigger adventure.

Job prospects good? Promotion? You'll get better tax rates there (IIRC) - being north of the Tropic.

Life's short...if it ticks enough boxes...I say do it. But have plan B available just in case.
She works in childcare as early childhood teacher so I assume that there should be jobs for her.

The job is very stable and secure but not sure about promotions.

Is income tax different in FNQ?

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,175 Posts
I always thought you got a better rate (in your tax return) for being above the Tropic of Capricorn...or has the gubbernment removed that little 'loophole' also?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a good friend who lived near Cairns for decades, but got 'cycloned' out and moved to the Sunshine coast. His description of surviving a cyclone were scary.

·
Registered
360 Posts
You need to check with the ATO (or your employer), but I don't think there are tax concessions for Cairns, or if so it will be very minimal (Cairns now has a population approx. 150K). Weipa we had tax concessions, but that's remote! Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
725 Posts
20 years in the North and North West. I wouldn't hesitate - but make sure you rent first to get a good fix on which burb is best for you. Dub

Reactions: bion

·
Registered
45 Posts
bion

Was in Cairns in the 70's. Then, Kuranda region was considered better than Cairns (esp. in summer).

Been back off and on over the decades.

I'd still suggest Kuranda, but you'd have to weigh up travel time to work.

The alternative is northern beaches.

Cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts