1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Touareg Off Road GTG - Santiago Peak

When: August 29th (Sunday) 2010

Where: Santiago Peak in Orange County CA

We will be meeting in the Tustin Market Place Best Buy Parking lot at 3:00PM and leaving at 3:30PM
(send me a PM if you can't make by 3:30)

Google Maps Link to Best Buy: 33.721979, -117.794482 - Google Maps

We will all caravan over to Silverado Canyon Road. At the end of Silverado Canyon there will be a trail that will lead up to Santiago Peak (the highest point in OC!) which gets VERY dusty.

It takes approximately 2 hours to reach the top and about the same to get back down so make sure you have enough fuel before we leave! :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well Jimmy, if I can take T-Regasaur up the mountain on my 12th wedding anniversary, you can certainly join in:cool: It went over *real* well with the wifey when I saw the date;) Where you coming from? Your sig says US for location and 'still looking' for rig. A man of secrets are ya:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I came from Taiwan. Now, I work here. I really want to know someone who really know Touareg very well and sharing some experiences :p

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I'll call this a possible for me. I really have not worked out my travel calendar post-Colorado Rally but a trip to OC is in the mix and late August may be workable.

My own thoughts having been up there a few times - The trail chosen is workable and nice to learn how to use some of the controls for a Touareg. No clearance issues - some loose rock higher up that will give some fun. Dusty - yeah - but not too. Nice shelf especially if the group crosses the saddle between Santiago and Modjeska Peaks. Lots of photo ops on both sides of the ridge. Sunset is around 7:30 that night.

If I dont make it - have an awesome ride. If I do, it will be fun to meet everyone!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm working at St Joseph Hospital today and just met a guy with a new Ford Raptor. I looked at them a few months back and they have some pretty sweet features. 12" of travel, a wheelbase 7" wider than an F150, a monster 6.2l 410HP motor:D. What I didn't know that much of the work was done by SVT, it has the SVT Cobra style seats and interior etc. Pretty cool. Now that he has 300 miles on his Raptor, he is itching to do some offraoding so I kinda let it slip about our little trip, we're not haters of other 4X4's right Dub, we don't get all :anger: when it's not a Touareg do we?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm working at St Joseph Hospital today and just met a guy with a new Ford Raptor. I looked at them a few months back and they have some pretty sweet features. 12" of travel, a wheelbase 7" wider than an F150, a monster 6.2l 410HP motor:D. What I didn't know that much of the work was done by SVT, it has the SVT Cobra style seats and interior etc. Pretty cool. Now that he has 300 miles on his Raptor, he is itching to do some offraoding so I kinda let it slip about our little trip, we're not haters of other 4X4's right Dub, we don't get all :anger: when it's not a Touareg do we?
Not at all. We are all car enthusiasts and should never discriminate. Plus the raptor is a bad mother... :p Im trying to convince my friend to get one over a F350!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dub*man - I am down in SoCal visiting family this weekend. Do you have directions/trail map for Santiago peak so that maybe I can hit it this weekend? Would be awesome to do!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont have a map of the trail other than googlemaps.

Once you get on Silverado Canyon just follow the road to the end. You will hit a gate that should be open and follow that road, it eventually turns to a dirt trail. About 45 minutes in you will reach somewhat of a lookout area with another gate. The road will split, bare right. Follow that to the top!
I hope this helps!

Silverado Canyon rd CA - Google Maps

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I'm gonna try to make this but I may not be able to, sales and a day off at the end of the month is a tough accomplishment!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm in:cool: To avoid the honey-it's-our-anniversary-today issue, I took my bride of 12 years and the kids to the Montage Resort In Laguna Beach for the next 2 days. We'll get home about noon on Sunday.:-lll Man, I'm a clever bastid:D Oh, and we're not exactly roughing it here;)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Will not be able to make it this time.

Have Fun! Take Photos!

·
Registered
325 Posts
$64,000. question, wash the filthy Treg or not because it's gonna get dirty up there anyway:confused: Still, if I show up the step off point with a grungy 'Egg:mad:...

·
Registered
325 Posts
A good time was had by all. Four T-regs and a new Ford Raptor (Krickey, that thing is bad arse!) met in the Best Buy lot in Tustin and proceded at a leisurely pace ;) up to the highest point in Orange County, Saddleback Peak. I used my little pocket camera but i'm sure Dub-Man who had a real camera will post some of his pics:cool:

You'll notice in the 'after' pics in front of my house the drivers rear tire is getting low:( Yup, I had a flat, nope, it wasn't from a sharp rock or anything on the trail. See this piece of an exacto knife/razor knife:mad:?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts