Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a 2012 v6 180 kw TDi 4XMotion supposed to have a 100 ltr fuel tank ,how do you tell without filling it with fuel? Is there any codes on the vehicle identification data sheet?

Regards Kennyg

·
Registered
74 Posts
HI KennyG, if your car has low range, then it will have the 100ltr tank

Matthew

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
As above.

Every owner should always ask their local VW dealer to print off the build or data sheets for their Touareg. Several pages detail everything about the build of your specific car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

Hello everyone, I have a 2012 v6 180 kw TDi 4XMotion supposed to have a 100 ltr fuel tank ,how do you tell without filling it with fuel? Is there any codes on the vehicle identification data sheet?

Regards Kennyg
Hello everyone thanks for the info on determining if I have a 100 ltr fuel tank, and as NoobyToogy suggested I got a print out of all the Build Data sheet and will get it tomorrow .

Regards Kennyg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Kennyg...I have a similar year model but without the 4XMotion and still have the 100ltr tank...it was included in one of the packs but I don't remember which one :)
It is included with the comfort pack - 4 zone climate and memory seats are the visible items, heated steering wheel and 100ltr tank are the other not quite so visible items!

Matthew

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Last time I looked the carpark at thredbo was full of expensive euro softroaders ?.
When I was there last it started snowing so they set up a section of the car park so people could fit chains.
There was a guy directing traffic, all 2WDs had to pull in and fit chains or they weren't allowed to drive.

The guy asked me if my Treg was a 4wd. Hmphh!

Expensive euro softroader is all you need on a snowy road.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When I was there last it started snowing so they set up a section of the car park so people could fit chains.
There was a guy directing traffic, all 2WDs had to pull in and fit chains or they weren't allowed to drive.

The guy asked me if my Treg was a 4wd. Hmphh!

Expensive euro softroader is all you need on a snowy road.
This is my first post. I just got my first Touareg, a 2011 4Motion 7P 3.0TDI. Is it true if you have 4wd you don't need to chain up in Snowy Mountains NP? Is that ok? Do you have any driving tips if more than 2cm of snow on the roads?

Cheers.

I live in Sydney. BTW, the car is amazing and in very good condition.

Ed.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
This is my first post. I just got my first Touareg, a 2011 4Motion 7P 3.0TDI. Is it true if you have 4wd you don't need to chain up in Snowy Mountains NP? Is that ok? Do you have any driving tips if more than 2cm of snow on the roads?

Cheers.

I live in Sydney. BTW, the car is amazing and in very good condition.

Ed.
I'm a QLDer, ask me for a sand driving tip.
All I know is turn off the ESP.
I found, even as a QLDer, that on 3-4 inches you just take it steady and you're ok. You'd be better off asking someone with proper experience though.

You don't need chains for a 4wd but you do for a AWD.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,420 Posts
I'm a QLDer, ask me for a sand driving tip.
All I know is turn off the ESP.
I found, even as a QLDer, that on 3-4 inches you just take it steady and you're ok. You'd be better off asking someone with proper experience though.

You don't need chains for a 4wd but you do for a AWD.
There's no internationally agreed definition of 4x4, 4WD or AWD - every system is potentially different

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Reactions: meggsy

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
Some of the larger wheel sizes on Touaregs can't take chains anyway.

In their absence, and regardless of 4 wheel drive capability, is there a local requirement for proper winter tyres with the 3 mountains symbol (and not just tyres marked M+S) since summer tyres, even on a 4x4, are often as much use in ice and snow as a chocolate teapot, especially in the hands of an inexperienced yet over-confident driver?

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,420 Posts
I don't know about an international agreed definition but in Australia we have a Federal Standard definition for an OFF-ROAD PASSENGER VEHICLE (MC) which the Touareg meets, see 4.3.3 here:
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2012C00326/Html/Text#_Toc326158540

TonyB
That's the definition for an Off-Road Passenger Vehicle - which simply states "Unless otherwise ‘Approved‘ has 4 wheel drive" - there are many different forms of 4 wheel drive - some smart/dumb, some part-time/full-time.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Do you have any driving tips if more than 2cm of snow on the roads?
Wow, you sure wouldn't last long over here where we got 2 dumps of 30cm within 2 weeks and another 20cm dump a week later! And with -20° to -32°C temperatures!

I'd imagine 2cm would be tough with summer tires, but with "all-season" tires you should have no troubles. My best suggestion would be to find a snow covered parking lot and spend some time getting to know the limitations and capabilities of your vehicle in snow. This is essential advice for anyone driving in snow, no matter what their experience level is.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Leave the ESP on unless you're in deep snow.

·
Registered
339 Posts
As an Ozzie, I never had much need to learn to drive in snow until I lived in the Rockies in Canada in winter. Best advice I can give is leave plenty of space between cars even when moving slowly and drive carefully. 2cm of snow won't bother your treg if you put good tyres on her but speed is the filler in the ice and 4wd or not ice on the road can be fatal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
In the Australian "alps"…you will mostly be driving in slush or an inch or two of fresh snow so your normal tyres will be fine as long as you drive positively but carefully.
Every driver should have a skid pan session or two .. in fact kids shouldn't be allowed to drive without it.
You will feel heaps more confidence if you have been sideways in a safe place instead of in everyones way on a mountain road,

The np gatekeepers know what the road is like at the time and will mostly let normal soft roaders through without chains unless it is very deep snow or a miracle has happened and it's icy.
Fitting chains is a black art , terrible the first time and easy peasy after ten times.
I value my independence and would always carry chains ( If I actually lived anywhere near snow these days)….

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.