Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SUCCESS! SUCCESS! SUCCESS!

The defunct analog OnStar in my 2004 VW torments me no more. I am very psyched to announce success in my efforts to engineer a VW compatible adaptation of the GM-only Bluestar module, a bluetooth 2.1 compatible interface engineered to make use of the OnStar peripherals and audio programming in the equally defunct pre-2005 analog OnStar units in equipped GM models.

The modifications required some button controller board resistor changes and an internal jump within the Bluestar unit to provide a connector lead for the radio mute function. Once that was in order, the pins from the VW Telematics harness connector plug had to be remapped and migrated to the GM Onstar harness connector plugs (2) to snap into the Bluestar module. But when all the dust settled, it was just a snap together and stow the module away proposition.

So now I can (amongst many things):

1. Press the White OnStar button for one second and get the voice command prompt from my Motorola Droid X Android phone.
  2. Press the White OnStar button for three seconds and redial the last number called.
  3. Press the White OnStar button to answer an incoming call.
  4. Press the Blue OnStar button to answer an incoming call with the handset instead.
  5. Press the Red OnStar button to mute a call while connected.
But the best part is, no wires! The Bluestar uses the built-in OnStar mic and the car's speakers. When a call is initiated or comes in, the VW head unit switches to "Phone" mode automatically, and the audio from the call is played over the car's speakers.

It recognizes my phone (if present) when I turn on the ignition and connects automatically.

If multiple phones have been paired, it attempt to connect with them in the order they were added until successful (so my phone trumps my wife's when we are together).

It comes with a PC-based management/programming utility that includes a ringtone creator function (going to have to get the sheet music for AC/DC "Back in Black").

It has an A2DP audio out function that I am hoping to start tinkering with, trying to figure out if I can have an AUX signal from said A2DP port and maintain the connection to my Phatnoise DMS. That means streaming PandoraOne. Who needs a satellite radio subscription?

Too much to really mention. I hope this long-awaited message of hope reaches a few frustrated OnStar-equipped Touareg owners. I have already successfully installed a Bluestar in BoostAddiciton's 2004 V10 Treg. If you are interested, please email me at keith at keithbloom dot com.

It's ALIVE! (again)

·
Registered
439 Posts
This is probably an excellent solution for OnStar-equipped Touaregs (2004-2005):

Alas!, mine is a 2006, so no cigar.

·
Administrator
4,833 Posts
Meh. I've had the Parrot CK3100 bluetooth in my 2004 since I bought it in 2004. It is connected through the radio and uses the Onstar mic. I prefer it over the Onstar system because it has a small display and tells you the number that is calling. 7 years later someone comes up with this? I wouldn't change from what I already have. I would miss the display too much.

When a call is initiated or comes in, the VW head unit switches to "Phone" mode automatically, and the audio from the call is played over the car's speakers.

It recognizes my phone (if present) when I turn on the ignition and connects automatically.

If multiple phones have been paired, it attempt to connect with them in the order they were added until successful (so my phone trumps my wife's when we are together).

It comes with a PC-based management/programming utility that includes a ringtone creator function (going to have to get the sheet music for AC/DC "Back in Black").
All of the above is normal for a bluetooth system.

It has an A2DP audio out function that I am hoping to start tinkering with, trying to figure out if I can have an AUX signal from said A2DP port and maintain the connection to my Phatnoise DMS. That means streaming PandoraOne. Who needs a satellite radio subscription?
Assuming that you have a CD nav radio, I have AUX cables with different end configurations available. What kind of a connector does the system have?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Parrot systems are nice, however IMHO they are a stick on. With the sophisticated voice command systems of current generation smart phones, the display is less necessary. And IIRC the Parrot 3100K is not Bluetooth 2.1 capable, which means my Droid X of any other current Android smartphone would not connect.

On the question about the audio interface, it is a 3.5mm stereo plug port on the Bluestar itself. I am planning to try an FM transponder plugged in to the Bluestar to get the A2DP audio and allow the head unit to tune in. I am curious if that will negate a need for a switched source on the CD changer harness that I am actually using presently for my DMS.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am curious if that will negate a need for a switched source on the CD changer harness that I am actually using presently for my DMS.
Keith, I am curious about this switched source on the CD changer for your DMS. Without a switch, I've been advised that if I install a DMS, I will lose the CD changer.

On an entirely separate point, with regard to the Aux-In stereo plug, all radionav-enabled T's have switched Aux-In capabilities. Many, such as mine, come from the factory with Aux-In connectors installed in the driver's armrest compartment. So it would be trivial to run a stereo cable from the Bluestar module to the factory Aux-In connector in the armrest or to install one of Spockat´s aux-in adapters for radionav in the back of the radionav and to run the Bluestar to that.

·
Administrator
4,833 Posts
The Parrot systems are nice, however IMHO they are a stick on. With the sophisticated voice command systems of current generation smart phones, the display is less necessary. And IIRC the Parrot 3100K is not Bluetooth 2.1 capable, which means my Droid X of any other current Android smartphone would not connect.

On the question about the audio interface, it is a 3.5mm stereo plug port on the Bluestar itself. I am planning to try an FM transponder plugged in to the Bluestar to get the A2DP audio and allow the head unit to tune in. I am curious if that will negate a need for a switched source on the CD changer harness that I am actually using presently for my DMS.
I know what you mean by stick on. Too bad that VW didn't integrate the Onstar a little further into the car and use the MFI display. Then maybe Bluestar would have been able to display names or numbers of incoming calls like the CK3100 does.

I assume the Motorola Droid X is pretty similar to my wife's Motorola Atrix 4G that my wife owns and connects to the CK3100 in my Touareg and our pickup truck. So your Droid X should connect too. I also have no issues connecting with my iPhone 4S.

My AV-RAM-72 should be long enough to make the trip from the back of the radio to under the passenger seat and plug right into the Bluestar. Try the FM transmitter but you should get a better sound quality hardwired.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I know what you mean by stick on.
If one installs
the Mki9000 (screenless); or the Mki9100 or the Mki9000 with the screen hidden; and
the 7-button Phone button strip for the steering wheel; and
the Parrot Unika;

Then there is no stick on at all.

Here's my full post about it. I am very pleased with my setup but if my T had had OnStar and if the Bluestar had been available, the Bluestar would have been cheaper and easier to install.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If one installs
the Mki9000 (screenless); or the Mki9100 or the Mki9000 with the screen hidden; and
the 7-button Phone button strip for the steering wheel; and
the Parrot Unika;

Then there is no stick on at all.

Here's my full post about it. I am very pleased with my setup but if my T had had OnStar and if the Bluestar had been available, the Bluestar would have been cheaper and easier to install.
I've been VERY close to going this route as well.. until I saw your list of downsides. With such a separation of Parrot vs. OEM Stereo when activated (i.e. no knob volume control when Parrot is running)

I was also interested in the Blu Logic System, however the way it would only play streaming music thru the front speakers and market price of $300 steered me away.
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f45/anyone-try-this-bluetooth-phone-kit-55399.html

I am now leaning towards the GromAudio. I've been doing some Q/A back and forth with a Grom support agent, and he's been answering my questions well. Only downside of the system is if you aren't in Grom mode (i.e. CD changer), the ring will come thru from your phone only. However, it can be answered with a single button press. All volume knobs work in all modes, etc...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you don't have the OEM OnStar system (and I recognize that most Tregs don't), then the Bluestar system is an non-starter, unless you want to source a controller button panel and do some heavy wire harness additions.

If that is the case, then the Parrot system is a fine solution, and I like the idea of the hidden display for sure.

But if you do have the defunct since 2008 analog VW Telematiks/OnStar system and you would like to make use of the wiring and control panel already present in your Treg, this is a hard solution to pass up.

Phaeton owners are snapping these up like wildfire, because every North American market Phaeton had the OnStar system as standard equipment. Smaller numbers of other VW models from 2004-2005 had it installed as an option, and those owners are the targeted beneficiaries of this development.

Sounds like those who do not have factor OnStar peripherals and harness have a lot of options to consider. Good luck with your selections! ;)

:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keith, I am curious about this switched source on the CD changer for your DMS. Without a switch, I've been advised that if I install a DMS, I will lose the CD changer.
I don't have a CD changer and never did. I purchased my PhatNoise DMS shortly after I bought the car. As it turns out, A2DP is still in development on the Bluestar, so I have some time. But the interest in Bluestar for VW has been keen enough that Costar is stepping up efforts to leverage the A2DP out port on the Bluestar 2010.

From your first post in this thread (and the pic you included), you implied that you had a 2006 with OnStar. Is that true? I was not aware that 2006 Tregs had OnStar option, but if they did, it would most likely be compatible with Bluestar. If it is analog, and it is dead, then it will work.

:D

·
Registered
439 Posts
I've been VERY close to going this route as well.. until I saw your list of downsides. With such a separation of Parrot vs. OEM Stereo when activated (i.e. no knob volume control when Parrot is running).
Yep, it's true. You do get used to it, but still. :(

I am now leaning towards the GromAudio
That looks like a great solution. Will you lose CD changer functionality? Please do a post/review after you get it installed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
From your first post in this thread (and the pic you included), you implied that you had a 2006 with OnStar.
Actually, I wrote that 2004-2005 T's may have OnStar, and that «Alas!, mine is a 2006, so no cigar.» The picture is not of my system.

This is probably an excellent solution for OnStar-equipped Touaregs (2004-2005):

Alas!, mine is a 2006, so no cigar.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep, it's true. You do get used to it, but still. :(

That looks like a great solution. Will you lose CD changer functionality? Please do a post/review after you get it installed.

Will do! I was about to upgrade to the RNS-510, as my 08 with RNS-2 didn't come with a NAV DVD. I was certain to not spend $200 on the "latest" DVD from 2010, until I found a 6B nav disc (2009) on ebay from a local seller. $70 is much better than $200 dollars.

Adding all the wiring/modules/etc... needed to keep basic functionality of backup camera and SAT, adding BT would have been over $2k.

Yes, CD changer capability is lost. Honestly, I haven't used CD changers in my past 3 cars. What's the use, especially after availability of iPod, Pandora and Sirus.

The only real downside to Grom is the lack of visual information. If the install was for my daily, I would have bit the bullet for the 510. However, she just need an option that can A2DP and allow hands free answering of phone calls with single use factory controls. My wife isn't the type that would process different controls for different inputs - she still has a hell of a time managing our home theater ](*,)

Heaven forbid the TV and the home receiver are off sync on power on...talking thru the process to have both on at the same time is like customer service trying to help someone solve a rubix cube over the phone.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The only real downside to Grom is the lack of visual information. If the install was for my daily, I would have bit the bullet for the 510. However, she just need an option that can A2DP and allow hands free answering of phone calls with single use factory controls. My wife isn't the type that would process different controls for different inputs - she still has a hell of a time managing our home theater ](*,)

Heh. I hear you with regard to separate controls. Dear wife here is the exact same. :D

Now with regard to the lack of info: the Parrot is uncannily good. Hit the call button, it asks who do you want to call, you can butcher a person's name.... and it somehow asks back: "Do you want to call Joe Blow"? You say yes, and there you go. In my opinion, the name recognition of the Parrot is even better than that of Siri. And remember, when your phone rings, the Parrot's voice announces who is it that is calling over the Parrot's ringing sound.

So Parrot may not be perfect in all regards (though in my setup it is pretty good), but as far as the phone function goes, I think it sets a high standard.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Heh. I hear you with regard to separate controls. Dear wife here is the exact same. :D

Now with regard to the lack of info: the Parrot is uncannily good. Hit the call button, it asks who do you want to call, you can butcher a person's name.... and it somehow asks back: "Do you want to call Joe Blow"? You say yes, and there you go. In my opinion, the name recognition of the Parrot is even better than that of Siri. And remember, when your phone rings, the Parrot's voice announces who is it that is calling over the Parrot's ringing sound.

So Parrot may not be perfect in all regards (though in my setup it is pretty good), but as far as the phone function goes, I think it sets a high standard.
Parrot is definitely for the people who work on the road. The voice recognition and interaction sounds great.

For the wife however, she just needs to answer the phone when called.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NTSB seeks ban on cell phone use while driving, even hands-free

[excerpted from the article by Bloomberg News Service 13 December 2011]

The U.S. National Transportation Safety Board recommended a ban on driver use of portable electronic devices like mobile phones and smartphones, including hands-free use, citing crashes caused by distracted drivers...

...Systems built into cars, like General Motors Co.’s OnStar, and global positioning systems wouldn’t be affected by the ban, said Kelly Nantel, an NTSB spokeswoman.

·
Administrator
4,833 Posts
[excerpted from the article by Bloomberg News Service 13 December 2011]

The U.S. National Transportation Safety Board recommended a ban on driver use of portable electronic devices like mobile phones and smartphones, including hands-free use, citing crashes caused by distracted drivers...

...Systems built into cars, like General Motors Co.’s OnStar, and global positioning systems wouldn’t be affected by the ban, said Kelly Nantel, an NTSB spokeswoman.

That would include a bluetooth system like you are selling here. You aren't selling OnStar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts