Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New IIHS ratings show most headlights are lacking

I found this article and it seems the US really needs to change their regulations. How can all these luxury cars have such low ratings with Bi-Xenon and LED headlights?

It appears they are so concerned about glare to oncoming traffic that they require the light beam to be focused too low.

From what I have read, ROW settings (vehicles with Bi-Xenon and AFS) aim the light beam higher so I got out my VCDS and opened address 55 Headlght Range and selected coding. I saw my code was for NA so I changed it to left hand drive and pressed do it! I saw the beams rise after it accepted the code.

A warning light and trouble code comes up but this is due to the headlights needing to be adapted after a change in code. I went to adaptation and set it according to the Ross-tech site:

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Xenon Headlamp Adjustment

I already had good light output but now the cutoff is raised a little higher like ROW and I haven't been flashed yet.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Nice write-up. Thanks Perry01.

Every once in a while I get flashed, and my hids are old enough to be starting to dim. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Been an advocate of raising the lights in the Treg for a while. I have a rule not to overdrive my lights...which when stock would mean I couldn't go over 45mph...I said screw that raised them up. Now I can go the speed limit up to about 70mph. No one flashes me either.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'll have to take a look at what mine are set at; being a canadian vehicle I assume it falls into ROW coding vs US, but I have no complaints about my headlights with new bulbs. The height seems to be just right, judging by the cutoff location on distant signs/objects.

I'd have to agree with you though - the US has some pretty strict [ridiculous] standards wrt some of their vehicle regulations.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to take a look at what mine are set at; being a canadian vehicle I assume it falls into ROW coding vs US....I'd have to agree with you though - the US has some pretty strict [ridiculous] standards wrt some of their vehicle regulations.
The factory setting was NAR (North America Region) which I believe includes Canada.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
You're probably right; now that I think about it, my transmission coding was originally US (aka not the greatest transmission programming).

Is it really a big difference from stock/US settings? As I say I don't have too much to complain about with new bulbs but maybe I'll give this a shot.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It raises the curtain on the Bi-Xenon bulb a little which raises the cutoff. (The curtain raises all the way for high beam) Not a huge improvement but defiantly noticeable.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Doesn't it just tilt the projectors up a bit? The shutters are vertical or horizontal. I don't think they are variable.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doesn't it just tilt the projectors up a bit? The shutters are vertical or horizontal. I don't think they are variable.
You're probably correct due to the need for adaptation on a level surface after recoding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts