Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been one year ago since Colorado Rally 2008!

While the Rally 2009 has been called off, here are some pix from last year to help stay cool through this July....

The San Juans! (Corkscrew to Hurricane)

The first tire slash of the season.

The scramble to get the FJ Summit TRD Trailer out of our parking area.

And the promises of adventure ahead.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't believe how much I miss not doing this rally!!! Not because of the off-roading, but because it is such an incredibly good time --- meeting new people... lots of laughs... good food etc.

Not to mention... I absolutely love Ouray!!

Remember this???
Touaregs Rally for Fun and Sun on the Rocks - Travel & Adventure - Truck Trend
Love everything about it! I quoted a modified Blues Brothers line while meeting up with Vegas Matt for dinner last Friday night - " It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." in context of just haulin' out to Ouray for the weekend.

So... Monday... what did we do last year Monday?

I believe we split up and did the Alpine loop... one half clockwise via Engineers and the other half counter clockwise via Corkscrew. Kinda met up at Animas Forks.

Morning meet at Rally HQ (aka "The Warehouse")

Action on Engineers

Geocaching at Animas Forks

Up to California Pass

Lake Como from California Pass (12,600+ feet)
(taken at almost the same time I am posting this, one year ago)

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Ahhh, memories! Thanks for the posts Arkarch. (And, I still think Ouray's a bit much for a weekend haul from Hell, er, I mean Vegas. Add a third or fourth day to it though...)

TREGing, I'm right there with ya. It's great times, and is missed for sure!

Matt

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with all. Such a good time. Put it on your calendar for next summer, we WILL do it again.

R
Amen.

So... Tuesday was Imogene Pass. Two groups, which later merged into one group...

One the Camp Bird road to Imogene turn-off.

Off the Edge ... its a very long way down just inches from VegasMatt's foot!

Whoops! Lots of What-the??! Long story. Hill Hold doesnt work when you kill the engine.

Recovery. Tow Strap Event #1.

A tough spot. Some got through easy, some got through it rough.
Big Jeep Audience above enjoyed the show.

The Caravan on up the pass.

Summit at 13,114 feet. Storms nearby.
Some went directly back the way we came; some went down to the mine; and

Some followed the shelf road down to Telluride (thats a 2000' sheer drop)

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Ah... old red sitting in the drink.... I remember it well. We should try to not let that happen again!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its Wednesday!

The official Rally Day-Off.

A time to enjoy the San Juan "Alpine" mountain region with the family. Some went to nearby parks; shopped and enjoyed Pizza; visited waterfalls; drove all the way to Grand Junction for replacement tires; drop up to vistas; enjoyed a train ride on the nearby narrow guage Durango & Silverton; or simply lazed away a nice cool day in Ouray.

The high view of Ouray from an easily reachable campground and vista point.

South in Durango, one of the many narrow guage Durango and Silverton trains makes its way up to Silverton.

By evening - wine night. PLewis had hosted this night in 2007; and in his absence I took over the duties in 2008. The theme - a blind wine tasting. Everyone was encouraged to bring a wine for the tasting - which were collected early so that blank labels could be attached. In all, seven 'whites' and seven 'red's were presented, organized by intensity - sweet to dry, light to wow. From super oakey Chardonneys and Desert Wines, Rieslings, to Malbecs, Merlots, Cabs, and a couple knockout Syrahs. Crackers, Cheese, and Fresh water glasses were provided.

Fortunately everyone was well within a short block or two and walking distance to our party.

Nevertheless I quipped: "With 14 bottles of wine and 19 drinkers, I better take everyone's keys - but since we all have Touaregs, how would we tell them apart later?"

The response from Hap: "Take a key, and whatever Touareg lights up - its yours!"

And then the tasting began... before long a chorus "More #7" lit up, referring to a fine bottle of Australian Syrah that was making its rounds. In the end, a Veramonte Chilean Cab got the most votes. And the rest of the wine was finished... I remember a bottle of Argentinian Malbec was especially 'owned'.

In the midst, we had a fine sunset draped upon the bowl above Ouray.

Good Times.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On Thursday our group went up to tackle Governors Basin and Yankee Boy, two climbs west of town well past the Imogene Pass turn-off. These climbs both lead to high valleys in the 12000+ foot range.

Wonderful Alpine Views await, this one of Yankee Boy from the shelf road up to Governors Basin.

Along the way, we stopped to find an old Geocache location. Here, the log entry from the 3rd Annual Colorado Rally (2006).

Further up, one of our small challenges that tends to slide the Touareg uneasily toward the edge.

Atop Governors Basin. We had to walk here as snow covered the last several hundred feet of the trail.

Circle of Touaregs just below the snow areas.

Some took the opportunity to do some July skiing sans boards.

Near the top of Yankee Boy, a retreat from the snow led to an awkard recovery situation.

With the rear tire unloaded and the front tire caught behind rocks, this Touareg needed to be tow-strapped out. Unfortunately it was not a clear path rearward. To help keep it from sliding down the mountain or worse, we tow-strapped the front to a large boulder uphill.

Which was promptly pulled out during the cleanup.

Ah, the "Clean-Up"... the long radio silences and vague references to the incident only left those down below to speculate on the worst outcomes. Fortunately we all headed down the mountain intact.

·
Super Moderator
9,364 Posts
That is what happens when you have someone who lives in SoCal that never drives in snow trying to drive in it. :p

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!! :)

How's life Gary????

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Friday was the last day of the Colorado Rally. A slightly smaller group, we traveled down to visit the Mayflower Mill, then turned back up toward Animas Forks and over Cinnamon Pass to American Basin.

On top of Cinnamon Pass. TheMadHatter and VegasMatt wave.

The way down to American Basin from Cinnamon Pass

American Basin on a cloudy July day. American Basin is one of those WildFlower Calendar - type places - a beautiful meadow set inside a small valley, a stream flows through the middle, with small waterfalls throughout.

Trail Bosses Hap and Rick

For the last trip, several of us sought a pass east of Silverton, took a left turn, and ended up high on a mountain at one of the very first silver mine trams built in the San Juans. Buffalo Boy still exists, the tramhouse and towers mostly intact.

I would recommend a trip up here. Its far from the standard trails and offers some good shelf and talus rock adventure.

The old tramway.

Quite a trip.

I hope everyone enjoyed this retrospective tour of Colorado Rally 2008. I sure enjoyed it - it was a great way to get through this week.

As Aircooled mentioned in another thread, the 2009 Rally was cancelled as many of the veterans, including myself, could not make it this year to help watch and assist the trail runs.

I think its safe to say many of us are missing our summer break and are certain to open our calendars for it next year.

And its more than just the scenery or the offroading. One arrives Sunday at the event a stranger - and by the end of the week departs a member of an extended family. There have been many long-term friendships generated from our week in Colorado.

Til the next Colorado Rally.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Very true!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
WOW, you mean my Tyranasaurus reg can do that too? Count me in! I knew there was a reason to justify that air suspension!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Smilit1, come next summer, you might want to unbolt those side step bars. We call them side skid plates and they will get some serious dragging. Other than that, come have fun with us.

Rick

1 - 20 of 27 Posts