Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all, bought my first VW December 15', so even though its older its still pretty new to me. 04' Touareg V8, got it with just over 100k on it, interior and exterior was pristine and well maintained. Anyway, just got into the Treg and so far I am pleased with it. I drove a 95' Toyota Landcruiser for the last 9 years so jumping into the Treg has been an adjustment.
Well, that's me then...look forward to this forum, so far its been good reading for sure
Cheers

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Have the timing belt, tensioners, water pump and thermostat been changing within the last 80,000 miles or 5 years?

If yes, then note they need doing EVERY 80K or 5 years, whichever comes first.

If they have not been changed then your engine is on borrowed time: if the belt breaks the engine is toast.

Unless you are 200% certain it has been done, this job needs doing ASAP.

Also read the buying a used Touareg thread - the link is in my signature. You will learn a lot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi some good advise as I just brought my 2005 v8 Treg with 94k on clock. Is there anyway to know if belt has been changed or not? It's been imported from Japan as I'm in NZ. Car in mint condition tho.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also does anyone know at what km's or age the transmission should be serviced and is there anyway to know if it's been done?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Hi some good advise as I just brought my 2005 v8 Treg with 94k on clock. Is there anyway to know if belt has been changed or not? It's been imported from Japan as I'm in NZ. Car in mint condition tho.
No, not if you don't have a validated service history

So change it along with the water pump, thermostat, and tensioner ASAP.

You also need to change the brake fluid, ATF, different oils and transfer box oil as well. Buy the latter in the right 850 ml bottle from your VW dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, not if you don't have a validated service history So change it along with the water pump, thermostat, and tensioner ASAP. You also need to change the brake fluid, ATF, different oils and transfer box oil as well. Buy the latter in the right 850 ml bottle from your VW dealer.
Asked for a quote from VW today on transmission service and this was response:

"Please note that the gearbox on this vehicle is not a scheduled servicing item and therefore never needs to be changed (unless there is an issue)."

The extended mechanical warranty I purchased says I have to do service at 80k to maintain their warranty. This all a bit contradicting

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Typical VW. We know better.

With a 10 year old car steer well clear of dealers unless you want to take your trousers down and bend over each time you go to pay the bill.

Find a good German car independent.

Get the ATF changed by a good transmission shop along with the front and rear differential oil and the transfer box oil. You buy the latter in the correct 850ml pot from your VW dealer.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I was just turned away from 2 different indie shops for a transmission fluid change. I have a feeling they are concerned about making a fatal error and causing damage, and are hiding behind VW's "no service required" motto as an easy out.

Unless I find a shop willing to take it on, I'll be doing it myself using the simultaneous drain/fill coolant line method.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
You're going to the wrong shops. Find a VW (or German) specialty shop if you need to. My independent (non-specialized) shop has no problem with my VWs. <shrug>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts