21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one in that boat. :p

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
I have been in some pretty knarly areas at Alta, so I would try it. As long as I don't have to drop in from a cliff band I will try to ski it. :) Thanks for the link RJ. I would love to try that some day.

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
I would not be surprised if the foam pit is still not there when we take a trip up there unless they pulled it out already. They have to do it before the snow season is over or they will not get it out. They deffinitely used a Scorpion attachment for the construction of the pipe. It makes perfect shaped walls. That was a lot of work for one guy to dominate, but Shaun is just an awesome rider.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Foam??? From what I watched... it's all packed down snow and that's it. Mother's nature's goodies!!!!

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
No, watching NBC the other night, there was a large foam pit to soften the landing while he was experimenting with his new moves.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Here is a Google Earth KMZ placemark of the Superpipe location. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
You have it pegged, Chris. This is south of Gladstone, and I don't remember us taking a group up there. I do remember you taking off one day with the girls last rally. Did others go with you then?

I don't think the four wheeling would be much but it would be neat to go see the sight.

In the past, the Silverton Mountain Ski Area has been GUIDED ONLY. This is the first year that I have seen unguided access. This is off-piste, tree skiing and steeper than a church steeple. It is truly EXPERTS only.

I still find it amazing the amount of things to do and see in this area of Colorado. We have had 4 Rallies there and Ann and I have been going there off and on for 20+ years. We still have not seen a lot of things that are there or covered all the trails that are there.

We are already looking forward to July

Rick

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Rick,

The trail over to this area could be reached with a Buick Park Avenue (little inside joke there)... it's fairly smooth. So the challenge isn't there --- but it's a spectacular sight!!!!

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Sometimes, there is nothing else to say but

PBBBBBBBBBBBBBPPPPPPTTTTTTTT!

·
Registered
839 Posts
BTW, how soon do you need to make reservations to stay in that area?

Or, is that information yet to come?

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you know where you want to stay, it is not too early now. In our case, our motel owners don't even get to Ouray til about May, so no hurry here.

Since the FJ Rally is the week before ours and we will be overlapping their last weekend, the town may be pretty crowded in the beginning.

Rick

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I put in an update on the main Touareg rally thread.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Misplaced Posts

These two posts belong over in the 2010 4x4 Rally thread. How did this happen?

Oh well . . .

·
Registered
591 Posts
This is where we have stayed for all the Rallies. The Antlers Motel has small, but clean rooms and is right on the main drag. We have known the owners for 20+ years and the place just suits our needs. It is nor palacial by any means.

antlers.jpg

Rick

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
8 Participants
Rickanns
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing