Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snowboarder Shaun White had a secret half-pipe built somewhere in Colorado to train for his Olympic run. As many may know, he won his second gold on Wednesday night.

After hearing that his new signature trick was named the "Tomahawk" after a restaurant near his training area in Silverton CO, I took interest in locating this half-pipe.

Had we seen the area?

The answer - Yes! Its at Silverton Mountain near Gladstone and in plain view from Corkscrew Gulch Trail.

The half-pipe was located in the less rocky slope of the mountain.

During our Day 0 Pre-run in 2008, we came very close to the entrance of this remote resort on the way over the stream to the mine in this area.

From Shaun's website, you can see the same rolling ridge contour in the center of the ridge - in the opening shot of the site video and in several images from the gallery.

Project X: Shaun White’s Secret Halfpipe – ShaunWhite.com

Beyond the celeb interest, enjoy the photos in the gallery of this site. These are the same very mountains we'll be traveling over in July! :)

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
It can't be too remote since they need to get equipment in there to build the pipe. That deffinitely was not done by hand. They flew him in by Heli to save time on the drive in by snowcat. We will have to look for the remnants of it this year since something like that won't melt that quickly.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Karl, I'm still racking by brain as to exactly where this is, do you have a Google Maps link? You are right, the contour is exactly the same.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Oh, is this where Rick flatted, above the mine?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a map, looking South.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, is this where Rick flatted, above the mine?
Same trip..

We went South (Right) on the road from Corkscrew down to the stream crossing (pictured), then back along the other side to the mine. Had we gone another few hundred meters past the stream crossing, that would be the entry to Silverton Mountain.

As to getting to the actual location, I guess it depends on whether the road through that valley is blocked off. It should still 'be there' though, given the amount of snow required to build it - somewhere around 30-40 feet.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
This looks like that one area we drove back to two years ago.... it was south(???) of Engineer I believe.

I think it's the area where we got into a conversation with the young kid on a mountain bike... in the flat area --- kinda like at the bottom of a bowl.

Well Done Karl!!!!!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I just found more proof (from my photo collection) that we have in fact been there. AWESOME!!!

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Yeah, the area is called Cement Creek, end of road CO-52. We had lunch at the half frozen lake, the dogs swam and Sophia was walking at what would be the end of the pipe. Here is another pic of the area.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
So how easily traveled would the roads be via snowcat this time of year? I can't imagine they air lifted equipment back that far for this, but you never know. I am sure they used a Scorpian to form the walls of the pipe since that seems to be the equipment of choice for pipe construction.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definitely looks like you were on the trail to the bowl, the same trail that is seen in the foreground of Aircooled's video capture.

Nice!

What year was that?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So how easily traveled would the roads be via snowcat this time of year? I can't imagine they air lifted equipment back that far for this, but you never know. I am sure they used a Scorpian to form the walls of the pipe since that seems to be the equipment of choice for pipe construction.
The access road comes from Silverton, past Gladstone, to that clearing in front (north) of the valley. There are some videos on the site that cover the construction - 3 cats were used for 12-16 hour shifts for a few days... take a look and identify the machines.

The property is "Silverton Mountain", an expert / heli-ski resort with a max 80 people per day according to the video. They have a website.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
My pics were from the last rally, 2008. Several of us took a quick detour up there for lunch. I had never been up there in the past.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
See this video for construction of the Pipe. The Cat's look like there were trucked in from the base of Silverton, only about 2.6 road miles in and around the hill.

Project X: Shaun White’s Secret Halfpipe – ShaunWhite.com

Skip to the main site, look for 'Featured Videos' and watch 'Building the Pipe'.

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
I will have to check it all out when I get home. Can't really view video here at work. I think I may want to ski that some time. I will have to look at their pricing. Too bad I really don't like Heli's all that much. :)

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Silverton Mountain and this area is for *expert* skiers. If you're in that league... enjoy!

I just moved a story from the CBS station in Denver on Silverton Mountain and what is involved in skiing that area. WOW!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Very cool!

The link to Silverton Mtn also has a news item about Shaun training on the superpipe there. :cool:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They do have one lift there. Tix start at $49.

However it is, as they say, all-expert terrain. They provide a plan for navigating the faces to avoid snow piles and wet avalanche conditions. About everything on their trail map would take me all day to get down :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts