Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Really? I find that super funny that we all had Discovery's. I never took mine off road, It did get me through Hurricane Sandy went through super super deep water no issue.
Yes they are absolute water monsters. I had mine grading some crazy cliffs, two Wheeling all the time, fording water deep enough where I can dangle my fingers in it out of the window etc. It was absolutely insane off-road it was just unbelievable. But boy did it suck down gas, it handled like garbage, and I had some real issues with it. I guess overall it didn't have many issues, I'm just bitter that it started on fire two days before Christmas one year and I couldn't go to my family as a result.

Reactions: AlexVAG

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Oh SNAP... I only have about a month to get a Discovery!

Reactions: AlexVAG

·
Registered
04 V8 T1
986 Posts
Yes they are absolute water monsters. I had mine grading some crazy cliffs, two Wheeling all the time, fording water deep enough where I can dangle my fingers in it out of the window etc. It was absolutely insane off-road it was just unbelievable. But boy did it suck down gas, it handled like garbage, and I had some real issues with it. I guess overall it didn't have many issues, I'm just bitter that it started on fire two days before Christmas one year and I couldn't go to my family as a result.
Lmao stop Mine started to catch fire in a Taco Bell. 😂 I was able to save it and get a few more months outta it. Mine had a lot of issues, it lived at the mechanic. Spent months trying to get a CEL light off that always came back no matter what. It did go off eventually , maybe the light burnt out?. I heard that Vins that started with SALTY where a bad batch. Both mine where SALTY, and I never saw one that didn't start with SALTY.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Stunning, I bet she's a beast in the snow! Is that Daytona Gray?
Thanks much,

Yeah Nemo (so called because of the color - not the fish!) is a little handling monster now. We have rebuilt and custom designed pretty much everything. If Audi had built one "proper" version of the C5 I think it would have been something like this. It's based around a C5 4.2. 01E manual trans (never available), 4:1 center diff, LSD/RS rear diff, all lightweight everything everywhere we could, custom suspension as I wanted to really balance out the front to back so we did custom spring rates and ride heights. We basically re designed the subframes for more specific geometry (lower the roll center) and lightness. Custom tune based loosely on a Euro 6spd S6 for both engine and trans. It's around 250lbs lighter than stock and well over 400lbs lighter than the porky RS6 of the generation. No (as in almost zero) understeer due to going from 1.5 to 6.5 degrees of castor up front. That was a pretty huge project that paid off in ways I can still barely believe. Tons more, from Cayenne brakes up front - with actual custom brackets - and V70s brakes at the back. I have maybe listed half of it! It was a project I've wanted to see come together for many years. In fact since my days as a test driver for the development of the S1 back in the 80's - yeah, I'm old now LOL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
They really are. When I did my off road course a million years ago with LR we used first gen Discos and I was lucky enough to have one of the actual Disco development guys teaching me and showing off what it could do. Water wading was eye opening. I asked him "so what do you think of the competition?" He looked at me, while heading over a crest so steep I couldn't see the down angle until all 4 wheels were committed, and said "well, it's like this. I can follow them anywhere they can go - can they say the same!" I just stopped asking at that point LOL

·
Registered
04 V8 T1
986 Posts
Thanks much,

Yeah Nemo (so called because of the color - not the fish!) is a little handling monster now. We have rebuilt and custom designed pretty much everything. If Audi had built one "proper" version of the C5 I think it would have been something like this. It's based around a C5 4.2. 01E manual trans (never available), 4:1 center diff, LSD/RS rear diff, all lightweight everything everywhere we could, custom suspension as I wanted to really balance out the front to back so we did custom spring rates and ride heights. We basically re designed the subframes for more specific geometry (lower the roll center) and lightness. Custom tune based loosely on a Euro 6spd S6 for both engine and trans. It's around 250lbs lighter than stock and well over 400lbs lighter than the porky RS6 of the generation. No (as in almost zero) understeer due to going from 1.5 to 6.5 degrees of castor up front. That was a pretty huge project that paid off in ways I can still barely believe. Tons more, from Cayenne brakes up front - with actual custom brackets - and V70s brakes at the back. I have maybe listed half of it! It was a project I've wanted to see come together for many years. In fact since my days as a test driver for the development of the S1 back in the 80's - yeah, I'm old now LOL.
Dam you really made that a super build. None of my Audi's are even close to that level with aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Lmao stop Mine started to catch fire in a Taco Bell. 😂 I was able to save it and get a few more months outta it. Mine had a lot of issues, it lived at the mechanic. Spent months trying to get a CEL light off that always came back no matter what. It did go off eventually , maybe the light burnt out?. I heard that Vins that started with SALTY where a bad batch. Both mine where SALTY, and I never saw one that didn't start with SALTY.
Dead serious. I tried starting it to go on vacation to my family and it started on fire. I think something shorted in the starter. I ran to the back of the house but I couldn't reach the hose all the way to the front where the car was so I ran back in the car and drove it to the back of the house and then ran the hose over to it and I was able to put it out. Took a couple days but I did fix it and then sold it shortly after. The starter and all of the cabling was completely fried

·
Registered
04 V8 T1
986 Posts
Dead serious. I tried starting it to go on vacation to my family and it started on fire. I think something shorted in the starter. I ran to the back of the house but I couldn't reach the hose all the way to the front where the car was so I ran back in the car and drove it to the back of the house and then ran the hose over to it and I was able to put it out. Took a couple days but I did fix it and then sold it shortly after. The starter and all of the cabling was completely fried
Yikes, typical Disco's. Did your vin start with SALTY?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Lol that's hilarious. Honestly I couldn't tell you, that was many moons ago

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yikes, typical Disco's. Did your vin start with SALTY?
My last Disco, the fancy one.... started with SALTY. It was a great car for the year I had it but it was too fancy to beat up in any way. My original TDI was a monster and walked all over Europe ski mountains many times.

·
Registered
04 V8 T1
986 Posts
My last Disco, the fancy one.... started with SALTY. It was a great car for the year I had it but it was too fancy to beat up in any way. My original TDI was a monster and walked all over Europe ski mountains many times.
SALTY Crew LMAOOO. When I traded it in to the dealer the salesmen said in all his years he's never seen a word spelt out in a vin. Both mine where V8's. The first one never really ran though, only when it felt like it. First one was a 96 I think, the second one was an 03. I really loved the 03...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase! It looks great, you made a perfect choice!
Thanks much,

Got it all bluetoothed up yesterday. New blower motor arriving today and a few other small projects planned. I think it's going to be a fun machine and just the fact that Nemo can sit out the winter is worth the cost of admission.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey all,

Been a VAG guy all my life. Been involved with them at various levels over the years. Recently moved to the PNW/Oregon and my heavily "changed" Audi A6 just won't cut the winters here. So last week I picked up a 2004 T1. I'll be hovering around for advice and input from you all as I have almost no knowledge of these machines beyond they're amazing.

Cheers..

Alex
View attachment 241032
Welcome, I live in Seattle. Once I get my froint diff replaced we should meet up for some overlanding

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Welcome, I live in Seattle. Once I get my froint diff replaced we should meet up for some overlanding
Thanks. Funny as my front diff is also noisy. Looking into it now. I'd love to get together for a drive. Gotta get these silly Porsche wheels off it and onto some real off road rubber!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks. Funny as my front diff is also noisy. Looking into it now. I'd love to get together for a drive. Gotta get these silly Porsche wheels off it and onto some real off road rubber!
Yeah, once I replace the front diff. I'm definitely getting some km3s and 17" wheels to have 32s on the rig

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Yeah, once I replace the front diff. I'm definitely getting some km3s and 17" wheels to have 32s on the rig
Very cool. Yeah I'm looking into the diff thing. It isn't too bad.....yet, but going to get it sorted out before the mountains call. Also studying the tire situation. Lots more choice now than when I was last looking, nearly 20 years ago. I want something that can be on it year round for sure.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts