Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there again. Everyone in her has been so helpful and encouraging to me. Now my problem is I am willing to buy all new brakes and everything that goes along with it. My prob is I'm clueless when it comes to this. So this I ask all of you knowledgeable people, what kind of brakes including every part would you suggest I get for my 2011 VW Touraeg V6 lux edition. Any info is greatly taken.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,213 Posts
Pagid pads (OEM) pronounced "pa-geed"
330mm Zimmerman Rotors (the disk in disk brakes) there are two sizes, yours is the 330mm--to others who find this.
New caliper stretch bolts (each wheel uses two and these are one time use). The caliper is the part that holds the pads in place and tightens to stop the wheel when you push on the brake. Due to design the caliper has to be removed on the Treg to access the rotor, which also should be changed when pads are changed.
Tube of brake quiet lube (mechanic should have. This is used on contact points between backside of pad and caliper, retainer, and pin...keeps noise down by reducing vibration as wheel spins but brake isn't used).
Tube of blue locktight (mechanic should already have, this is to make sure the rotor bolt doesn't back out)

Process to get correct parts: get VIN, call dealer parts, ask to lookup vehicle VIN for parts, ask for the caliper bolts (remember two on each caliper), ask to see if your vehicle has one or two pin pads at front then rear axel... write down the one or two pin for front and rear and write down the price of each axel. Order the bolts from dealer (won't find them anyplace else) and shop for the pads at a reliable local VW discount part store that stocks OEM stuff and calculate how much you save over dealer parts prices.

· Registered
20,262 Posts
Unless the brake pad wear light is on you really do not need new brakes yet.

Even when the light comes on there is a large built-in safety margin for you to organise the fitting of new brakes.

And when it does come on, the first thing you do is get your mechanic to check out whether it is the front brakes that need doing, or the rear brakes, or - possibly - all four corners and order parts accordingly.

It is a great shame that an untrustworthy mechanic has lied to you about unnecessary work on your car and compounded his lie by stupidly telling you the brakes will fail - they won't.

Some people may tell you their personal preferences for brakes but I strongly recommend that you purchase what the car was originally supplied with by VW when new and that's PAGID brake pads and Brembo rotors.

Spiegelglatt has put up a very good post but you may wish to take an easier route.

There is a member on this site who can provide the complete full set of brake parts as fitted by the factory to your car.

He offers good service and good prices and quite a few people have been very happy with his service.

He sends the complete kit straight to your chosen workshop for you [and as it's very heavy, this is sensible].

Look up QPower1 in the Brakes section and either send him a private message or give him a call.

He will gladly talk the whole thing through with you so you don't need to worry about not having any technical knowledge as, unlike some, he won't take advantage of you!

Here's the link to his main thread:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...tors-pads-hardware-and-sensors-now-11903.html

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pagid pads (OEM) pronounced "pa-geed"
330mm Zimmerman Rotors (the disk in disk brakes) there are two sizes, yours is the 330mm--to others who find this.
New caliper stretch bolts (each wheel uses two and these are one time use). The caliper is the part that holds the pads in place and tightens to stop the wheel when you push on the brake. Due to design the caliper has to be removed on the Treg to access the rotor, which also should be changed when pads are changed.
Tube of brake quiet lube (mechanic should have. This is used on contact points between backside of pad and caliper, retainer, and pin...keeps noise down by reducing vibration as wheel spins but brake isn't used).
Tube of blue locktight (mechanic should already have, this is to make sure the rotor bolt doesn't back out)

Process to get correct parts: get VIN, call dealer parts, ask to lookup vehicle VIN for parts, ask for the caliper bolts (remember two on each caliper), ask to see if your vehicle has one or two pin pads at front then rear axel... write down the one or two pin for front and rear and write down the price of each axel. Order the bolts from dealer (won't find them anyplace else) and shop for the pads at a reliable local VW discount part store that stocks OEM stuff and calculate how much you save over dealer parts prices.
Thank you so much. I appreciate it.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless the brake pad wear light is on you really do not need new brakes yet.

Even when the light comes on there is a large built-in safety margin for you to organise the fitting of new brakes.

And when it does come on, the first thing you do is get your mechanic to check out whether it is the front brakes that need doing, or the rear brakes, or - possibly - all four corners and order parts accordingly.

It is a great shame that an untrustworthy mechanic has lied to you about unnecessary work on your car and compounded his lie by stupidly telling you the brakes will fail - they won't.

Some people may tell you their personal preferences for brakes but I strongly recommend that you purchase what the car was originally supplied with by VW when new and that's PAGID brake pads and Brembo rotors.

Spiegelglatt has put up a very good post but you may wish to take an easier route.

There is a member on this site who can provide the complete full set of brake parts as fitted by the factory to your car.

He offers good service and good prices and quite a few people have been very happy with his service.

He sends the complete kit straight to your chosen workshop for you [and as it's very heavy, this is sensible].

Look up QPower1 in the Brakes section and either send him a private message or give him a call.

He will gladly talk the whole thing through with you so you don't need to worry about not having any technical knowledge as, unlike some, he won't take advantage of you!

Here's the link to his main thread:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...tors-pads-hardware-and-sensors-now-11903.html
Thank you!

· Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,456 Posts
Either of the two options you just replied to will be nice brakes for you.

Geoff (QPower1) above can set you up with anything from a very European (factory) setup to a less aggressive (more Detroit feel) setup, while saving you lot over VW dealer prices.

· Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
I may get crap for this, but I put a set of pads and rotors on the front of my Treg I bought last summer from Orielly Auto Parts. I paid maybe $200ish for them. They have the same feel as the OEM and same amount of dust issue. I have done OEM and I have done set from Geoff at Alretta. I honestly liked the feel of OEM and the ones I got at Orielly more than anything. Some will say it is too cheap, but they can't sell this stuff if it does not work. I have had no issues thus far.

Reactions: kamid469
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.