Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The picture shows the air inlet pipe throttle body thing, can't remember what it's called.

Fair bit of oil in there and the dipstick is showing about a litre low.

Turbo oil seal?
How hard is that to do? I thought it was pretty straight forward but the place that just did the water pump says they can't do it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes probably the turbo, have you drained the oil out of the intercooler pipes. Be prepared for oil to come out. How many km or miles.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes probably the turbo, have you drained the oil out of the intercooler pipes. Be prepared for oil to come out. How many km or miles.
180xxxkms. I have the full service history but nothing is mentioned about this.

I'm sure the intercooler has a lot of oil in it, it's going somewhere.
I think that's why I was getting overboost limp mode.
It wasn't happened in the cold climates but came back as soon as I got to a warmer area.

Are the oil seals a relatively easy job?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would check the the Australian crowd, but find a shop that rebuilds turbos to get an idea on price. But some oil in the intercooler system is normal, you can check the compressor wheel for excessive play in the bearings. If it we mine I would make sure the oil was the correct spec, and if not or unknown change the oil and drain the intercooler then drive and keep checking the level on a regular basis to see how fast its using oil.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I've sent a PM to 4ePikanini with the link to this thread for you.

Hopefully he can advise.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
SOME oil coming out the front seal of a turbo compressor wheel is COMPLETELY normal. The bearing must pass a small amount in order to be properly lubricated. That oil usually ends up in the low spots of the charge air system (between the turbo, the charge air cooler and the intake manifold). The amount depends on the distance driven. [The charge air cooler used to be called the intercooler]
The important thing - and the issue that you should consider a reason to rebuild the turbo - is the amount of play in that front bearing. SOME axial play (where you can feel motion) is normal, but if you can feel ANY radial play when pushing back and forth radially on the nut holding the compressor wheel in place the bearing is too loose and should be replaced.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
The picture shows the air inlet pipe throttle body thing, can't remember what it's called.

Fair bit of oil in there and the dipstick is showing about a litre low.

Turbo oil seal?
How hard is that to do? I thought it was pretty straight forward but the place that just did the water pump says they can't do it.

Some oil in the inlet is normal
1 litre down in how many kilometres?

regards
Drag

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The important thing - and the issue that you should consider a reason to rebuild the turbo - is the amount of play in that front bearing. SOME axial play (where you can feel motion) is normal, but if you can feel ANY radial play when pushing back and forth radially on the nut holding the compressor wheel in place the bearing is too loose and should be replaced.
This can only be checked by stripping the turbo I assume?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some oil in the inlet is normal
1 litre down in how many kilometres?

regards
Drag
Hard to say.

I just had that oil in the water problem fixed and they (ASV) flushed the crankcase and replaced the oil and filter. The odo says 200km but I don't really know when they reset it.

Before it went in the be fixed I noticed that it would only take abuot 30kms for the intake to get as messy as the in the picture.
Seems like a lot to me.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Pull the turbo inlet and feel for play
Oil there is perfectly normal
How quickly are you using oil?
What oil are you using?
Have you checked the pcv valve?
Is the car smoking? Whistling? Etc.

Sent from my Hisense C20 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pull the turbo inlet and feel for play
Oil there is perfectly normal
How quickly are you using oil?
What oil are you using?
Have you checked the pcv valve?
Is the car smoking? Whistling? Etc.

1. Do you mean the nozzle where the compressed air enters the hose to go to the charge cooler? It's too long to get my fingers down and it's curved. The workshop said they checked it.

2. Yep, I figured a bit is ok.

3. Can't tell yet but possibly 1 litre in 200km.

4.GT1 PRO-FLEX 5W-30 FUCHS

5. PCV is good

6. Smokes a bit under full throttle, that's normal isn't it? No whistling.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
You can get a finger in. You feel for play, not look.

What elf oil?

1liter over 200km is way too much.

Take the intercooler out and check for excessive oil. If there is the pcv, or turbo is to blame. It may even be valve stem seals. Look gor a long downhill, let it coast. At the bottom floor the throttle. If it gives a big puff of smoke then its valve stem seals.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can get a finger in. You feel for play, not look.

What elf oil?

1liter over 200km is way too much.

Take the intercooler out and check for excessive oil. If there is the pcv, or turbo is to blame. It may even be valve stem seals. Look gor a long downhill, let it coast. At the bottom floor the throttle. If it gives a big puff of smoke then its valve stem seals.

I edited my previous post, the oil is GT1 PRO-FLEX 5W-30 FUCHS.

You must have long fingers, you're talking about the outlet for the compressor aren't you?

I'm about to go for a drive, I'll check the valve stem seals.
No smoke at cold start up though.

Workshop said they checked the turbo.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
No the inlet. Remove the pipe that comes from air filter and goes to turbo. Get a finger in there and feel the play on the center nut. Google "turbo shaft play" for videos.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, it looks like the oil problem might just be a combination of a few things.

The mechanic probably didn't put enough oil in. When they got my car they said the oil was overfull and thought it was because there was water in the oil, but I kept checking the oil for water and I'm confident it was 100% oil.
I fill to the higher of the 2 balls.

Combined with a faulty/over sensitive oil level detector.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Still don't like how much oil is in the inlet pipe, it has to have an effect on the efficiency of the charge cooler.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can some helpful person tell me exactly where on the dipstick the oil level should be?
The mechanic that did recent repairs had the oil level at the top of the bottom blob, I topped up the oil to just over the bottom of the top, conical blob. It still occasionally shows the low oil warning.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Max level (assuming the stick is the right one for the car) is the bottom of the conical bit (where it says "MAX") The oil should be between the two larger diameter pieces on the dipstick. I can't comment of if that stick is the right one for your vehicle though.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Max level (assuming the stick is the right one for the car) is the bottom of the conical bit (where it says "MAX") The oil should be between the two larger diameter pieces on the dipstick. I can't comment of if that stick is the right one for your vehicle though.
Thanks, that's what I thought though I can't see MAX anywhere, doesn't mean it's not there though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts