Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one tell me what type of oil the factory uses @ build, and what the recommendation is for replacement @ the 5k point.

Thanks

SPB

· Registered
866 Posts
Two T's said:
Can any one tell me what type of oil the factory uses @ build, and what the recommendation is for replacement @ the 5k point.

Thanks

SPB
Synthetic. It's rumored that the factory fill has certain additives for the break-in period. The specifications are in the owners manual and if different from what I have posted here you should follow those recomendations.

From the maintenance manual -
V6:
Oil system capacity:
With oil filter 6.3 ltr.
Engine oil specifications:
Use "long life engine oils" in compliance with VW standard
503 01 .
Note:
- The engine is filled at the factory with engine oil complying to VW standard 503 01 .
- Engine oils complying to VW standards 502 00 and
505 01 may continue to be used. The oils must be
changed every 12 months or every 15,000 km.
- Engine oil "ILSAC GF3 with viscosity rating SAE 5W-
40" may be used to change or top off oil.
- Engine oil "ILSAC GF3 with viscosity rating SAE 5W-
30" may be used to change or top off oil.

V8:
Engine oil specifications
Long-life engine oil
New VW standard (specifically developed, aging
resistant)
Initial filling: VW standard 503 00 (VW TL 52
173)
Note:
- The engine is filled at the factory with engine oil
conforming to VW standard 503 00. This oil is
designed for long service intervals
- Engine oils conforming to VW standard 500 00,
501 01 or 502 00 can be used afterward. These
oils must be changed every 12 months or
15,000 kilometers. The service interval display
must be programmed accordingly.

V10: - my manual doesn't have this info.

· Registered
59 Posts
Mobil 1 0w40 is listed on their web site as having VW approval for 502.0, 505.0 and 503.01. Are these specs good enough to make it OK for the Touareg and not void the warranty? I would like to maintain it my self for the most part and use the dealer as little as possible. I have a V8, by the way. Does the 503.00 and 503.01 really differ?

· Registered
866 Posts
firstvw said:
Mobil 1 0w40 is listed on their web site as having VW approval for 502.0, 505.0 and 503.01. Are these specs good enough to make it OK for the Touareg and not void the warranty? I would like to maintain it my self for the most part and use the dealer as little as possible. I have a V8, by the way. Does the 503.00 and 503.01 really differ?
Go by what it says in your owners manual. If the V8 owners manual says 503.01, then you're okay.

Regardless of what you read anywhere on the internet, you risk warranty problems if you do not follow the specifications.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the input
I had a 5000 oils change done yesterday and found a Castrol GTX sticker
I was under the impression that the vehicle required synthetic or some sort of "special" VW oil

I think I can live with the Castrol but will have the other vehicle upgrade as we will be keeping that longer

SPB

· Registered
866 Posts
Re: Thanks

Two T's said:
Thanks for the input
I had a 5000 oils change done yesterday and found a Castrol GTX sticker
I was under the impression that the vehicle required synthetic or some sort of "special" VW oil

I think I can live with the Castrol but will have the other vehicle upgrade as we will be keeping that longer

SPB
You should probably ask your service department to verify that the oil they used meets the required VW standards, and document this. As long as they stand by thier service, Castrol GTX should be okay. But there was a recent VW recall for Passats with the 1.8T engine where they will extend the engine warranty as long as the owner has proof of proper oil change intervals using the specified oil. So, if VW would ever discover a future problem with the Touareg V6 that may be attributed to oil issues, it would be worth your while to have this documented.

· Registered
59 Posts
This is the site where I found the Mobil 1 0w40 specs. http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_0W-40.asp . note the 503.01 rating. I use it in my BMW and have noticed no difference, other than improved cold weather start, over Redline, which I used previously. I change my own oil/filter every 5-6k and would like to use Mobil 1 0w40 if it is appropriate as it is readily found, from a reputable company and reasonably priced. I spoke w/ VWOA and was told they had no info and ask my dealer SA. The dealer has told me on one occasion they use VW oil and on another occasion Castrol synthetic? My only concern w/ the Mobil 1 is that when using the vehicle search the 0w40 does not come up for the Touareg :confused2:

· Registered
121 Posts
Oil is an interseting topic. I use Mobil One in all my vehicles. The NASCAR Cup Team I work with uses Mobil 1, and I use it in my Porsche 911 racecar. While the same brand, each vehicle calls for a different type and viscosity range.

The T-reg requires the use of Mobil 1 Truck and SUV formula to obtain the proper viscosity grade and API Service Rating. For gas engines, VW recomends a viscoity grade of 5w-40 or 5w-30, and API Service SJ.
While this is important, other viscoisty grades are suitable depending on the climate.

Try this link for information on Mobil 1 Truck and SUV Oil specs,

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Truck_SUV_5W-40.asp

Sorry it is so long...

As for the ratings the manual suggests (see 3.4 page 41) , the VW 500 00, VW 505 01 and 502 00 are very specific. The more common designation which is also accepted is the API Service Ratinig. You will find designation on almost every kind in the store.

I believe that any brand of oil that meets the vehicle specs would be fine. Changing the oil frequently, like some do, myself included, helps engine life tremendously. I change every 5,000 miles.

Do it yourself and get to know your T-reg.

Have fun!

· Registered
2016 Touareg V6/Lux — 2006 Touareg V6 — 2013 Audi allroad
3,305 Posts
I'm now using Valvoline's Full Synthetic. It's the only oil I found in the 5W/40 weight, as recommended by VW, that meets ALL of the requirements in my VW owner's manual.

Just my $.02.

· Registered
30 Posts
I was just at the Dealer today who recommended Synthetic. I had regular oil in my V6 for 3000 miles (first change since buying used at a dealer and not knowing any better) and changed it over a week ago to the Mobil 1 5-40 synthetic and swear I picked up about 2 miles per gallon.
Had this done at Jiffy Lube where they do about 5 Touareg's each month. Cost: $104. Not cheap even at JL. I may start doing it myself and saving about 50%.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.