Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am used to having trans temp gauges. Why do we have an oil temp gauge? I cant see the use for it...I could see more use out of an oil pressure gauge. I just changed the oil and now that outside temps are 100+, the oil temp is around 200*

Whats the normal operating range? I'm used to seeing it right around 175-180*

TIA

·
Registered
4 Posts
Should the oil temp gauge move at all when going up amountain I notice it normally sits at 180-200 but going up hill for about 20 miles it moves up to about 220

·
Super Moderator
3,812 Posts
Should the oil temp gauge move at all when going up amountain I notice it normally sits at 180-200 but going up hill for about 20 miles it moves up to about 220
Looks "normal " to me.

·
Learner
4,637 Posts
Oil temp around 90-110 C is normal, will move with speed/ load etc.
Water should be at 90 C all the time

·
Registered
465 Posts
We live near a steep mountain area. We don't work the Touareg too hard until the oil temp is normal zone.

I would rather have a transmission temperature gauge for towing...

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I have seen up to 120 celsius oil temp when towing with my R5.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yep as said above and most important .... depends on load and time ie how long the work was done for.

I have also seen almost up to 120c in soft / hard sustained sand driving for around 50 - 100 kms and carrying around 300kgs on board as well as 2 people.

Interesting to note oil temp comes down real quick after a short stop.

And the coolant temp always was on 90c

Now i have a winch installed so for some reason it creeps up to around 108c max once normally warmed up. I still dont know how this happens considering the cooling system works through osmosis .... there is marginal blocking of the radiators .... but its not your usual sized winch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for all your answers they helped a lot I was getting worried alittle seeing the gauge move on me I'm a new owner and bought used and dropped a lot of money fixing some things and did not want to think something else was happening I love this car

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
Ron m
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing