Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power steering pump failed in our 2007 Treg. When the mechanic put it back together, the power steering still wasn't working. Then the mechanic blamed it on low oil pressure and now the whole engine needs replacing? This mechanic was a total crook. I won't go into that... but based on his reputation and experience with him, we don't know if what he's saying is true. We removed the car from him and will take it to the dealership soon. I'm just curious if there is any truth to his statement. If we had oil pressure issues, wouldn't it have manifested before the power steering went out? It just seems out of the blue to say our oil pressure wrecked our engine suddenly after he replaced the power steering pump.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
The power steering pump failed in our 2007 Treg. When the mechanic put it back together, the power steering still wasn't working. Then the mechanic blamed it on low oil pressure and now the whole engine needs replacing? This mechanic was a total crook. I won't go into that... but based on his reputation and experience with him, we don't know if what he's saying is true. We removed the car from him and will take it to the dealership soon. I'm just curious if there is any truth to his statement. If we had oil pressure issues, wouldn't it have manifested before the power steering went out? It just seems out of the blue to say our oil pressure wrecked our engine suddenly after he replaced the power steering pump.

Engine oil pressure and power steering pump pressure are completely unrelated.
Low oil pressure would and will alert in the dash cluster.

Sound fishy
I presume you are in the USA?

regards
Drag

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could have something to do with the gear drive..... the gear drive is timed like a swiss watch so if a mechanic doesn't get all the gears timed out just right, it could be bad.

I too thought my power steering was out. I'm in the process of a complete engine replacement on my2007 v10 now.

MAKE SURE YOUR DEALER HAS FIXED OR REPLACED THESE ENGINES! Your Touareg is only as good as your mechanic.

If you want my full story, I'll give it to ya.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts