Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Denver Colorado,

Got the big surprise after the oil change, that the bold spins and does not tight anymore. The mechanic said that I need a new oil pan and the whole thing will cost $2000, since they have to remove the whole Engine to replace the oil pan. I have read about Helicoil, but the shop said they can't find the kit for VW Toaureg.

Any comments or ideas are welcome, since I am not looking forward to spend $2000.
Thank you,

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
How about an oversized drain plug? They're designed to bite into the old metal and create new threads.
Oversize is the way to go - even if you have to buy an oversize tap and make new threads. I can buy a very fancy tap for $2K!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I've never seen that Ecoplug, that's cool!

I had the two free/included oil changes done by two different dealers and one of them screwed up my drain plug/hole. I came accross the Ecoplug from someone on here and it really does work.

It is so simple, just the finned shaft and the magnet, and it works. Solved my problem forever, no need to buy new washers or plugs every change.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The mechanic said that I need a new oil pan and the whole thing will cost $2000
If they stuffed it they fix it - at their expense.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
What happens to these magnetic plugs when the earth's magnetic field flips in the next million years or so?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
What happens to these magnetic plugs when the earth's magnetic field flips in the next million years or so?
In a million years, it will repeal all the captured magnetic particles, sending them back into your engine; which will then finally destroy your immaculate engine! :twisted:

·
Registered
703 Posts
They go back to Australia? :-k

·
Registered
24 Posts
Greetings from Denver Colorado,

Got the big surprise after the oil change, that the bold spins and does not tight anymore. The mechanic said that I need a new oil pan and the whole thing will cost $2000,
Did you take it somewhere and they did this? If so they are on the hook for a new pan or fixing it. If you did it, then I've been in the same boat. Get a tap for the next size up drain bolt and fix it that way. Even using a torque wrench I have stripped a pan bolt the oil on there helps decrease friction so the torque spec is off. I know Nissan uses a rubber backed plug on the xterra and frontier if it will work I would use one of those. Or retap for one of those eco plugs. Thanks for that post btw.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts