Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i get in my 2017 3.6 litre Treg first thing in the morning I can select SERVICE on the Infocentre and immediately there is an "Oil Level OK" OK message. When I am driving if I select SERVICE there is an "Oil Level OK" message. As soon as I switch off the engine and select SERVICE, immediately there is an "Oil Level OK" message. Is this normal? I seem to recall that if the engine was cold there was a warning to say that the engine must be warm. And if I just shut off the engine there was a message to tell me that I must wait two minutes before checking the oil. But I can't be sure about those messages anymore, because I did not pay enough attention. Prior to this problem I was getting "Reduce Oil Level" indications, which I reported on the Forum and had some very helpful replies. Guys I need your help!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
How was your other problem addressed? Did a shop just re-calibrate your system or was the oil capacity actually found to be filled in excess?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello TurboABA,

My "Reduce Oil Level" has not been solved. It was not a case of excessive engine oil in the second instance, but could have been in the first. About 500 miles after the only oil change the Reduce Oil Level message appeared. The dealer removed oil and the message went away. Another 2,500 miles later the message reappeared. This could not be excessive engine oil, because none had been added. The dealer removed two thirds of a litre of oil and the Oil Level OK message appeared in the infotainment screen. The dealer told me to go away like a good little customer and come back if the Reduce Engine Oil message reappeared. So that is where I am today, driving my Treg with 9,000 miles on the odometer and thinking of changing dealership.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like a 737 Max, it's probably a faulty sensor since the engine can't add oil to itself. My engine shows about 1/2 down in the display and sounds "dry" when I downshift, which I do a lot to save the brakes. I do not see where to add oil and don't know how much oil that display translates to in quarts. It has about 7,000 on this change so 3000 to go. Because the dealer only charges $100 to do a change, definitely not worth trying it myself. They have a nice lounge with coffee, snacks, TV, and internet. I'll probably just take it in early. Brakes are a different issue. Last time I needed brakes, they wanted $2,000! I did it myself with new rotors for ~ $250 I think. The pad alert connectors were a PIA, but everything else was easy. Took doubt 4 hours. I would like to have any new rotors powder-coated since the OEM tend to rust and look crummy.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Not applicable to the OP, but the TDI can increase the engine oil level as failed DPF regenerations can result in excess diesel being washed down the cylinder bores into the sump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts