Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a problem with my new touareg 2011 3.6 fsi gasoline engine
I bought it at 130000 km and i changed the oil ( castrol 5w40 full synthetic)
First i top it with 1 liter at 131500 km and the second time at 133000 another 1 liter so 1 liter every 1500 km
I think its considered an excessive fuel consumption can anyone help me to solve this problem

·
Registered
245 Posts
So it has about 75k miles on it and U R driving 900 miles per each quart. Does it smoke did ya ask the previous owner about this have u had it looked at by a mechanic? Certainly sounds excessive but prolly someone is gonna tell ya a thousand miles is acceptable(what is acceptable by VW standards I know they have experience with the 2.0 burning oil) I agree it is excesive OIL consumption I would be bummed. Did ya ask the previous owner do ya have their name and number?

·
Registered
776 Posts
1,500 km (1,000 miles) per litre oil consumption is widely regarded by car makers as the threshold between acceptable and unacceptable, as far as warranty claims go - but in reality it's way too high and needs investigating - is it being burnt or leaking - is the exhaust smoky and under what throttle conditions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car doesn't smoke ane can anyone tell me what is the solution for this excessive oil consumption
Thank you for helping

·
Registered
245 Posts
I do believe past VW service records from a VW dealer are viewable by VW dealer service advisors if the previous owner went to a VW dealer so seeif there are any mention of this problem from past records if available.. Did you speak with the place you bought the Treg from about this? Otherwise U need to see a good mechanice who can diagnose the problmem. Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a 2011 gas engine Touareg and when checking the oil with the system, it shows that the oil is low, however, this engine does not smoke or leak oil. I wonder if the system check is merely one that monitors the condition and mileage on the oil and measures the max and min in this matter. I have never really had a vehicle that "uses" oil, except for the first couple I bought back in the 1960s. I think that it was a terrible idea to do away with the dipstick.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I do not trust the oil level sensor, I would buy a distick.
Search ebay for part # T40178. It costs $9.99.
Attached a pdf on how to use it.
So with a distick you can check to see if the sensor is not falty.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a 2011 gas engine Touareg and when checking the oil with the system, it shows that the oil is low, however, this engine does not smoke or leak oil. I wonder if the system check is merely one that monitors the condition and mileage on the oil and measures the max and min in this matter.
I too own a 2011 Touareg VR6. I think I've come to this same conclusion as you about the oil sensor/oil monitoring system. I'm now at 300miles/60days to oil service according to the computer and have noticed the "oil level" steadily drop the closer I get to the oil service interval. I think the computer merely shows an oil level by calculating the ratio between the mileage driven since the last oil service interval reset and the actual mileage to the next oil service. So it's not that the oil is actually low, but that the "life" of the oil left before needing it changed based on the preset interval (if that makes any sense).

·
Registered
51 Posts
The electronic level oil level gage is certainly just that, an oil level gage. It’s not oil life monitoring. I had a dealer forget the drain plug seal after an oil change and I noticed the oil level dropping quickly on the gage. I looked under the car and it was covered with oil leaking from around the seal-less drain plug. It lost about 1.5 quarts in 350 miles and the gage read “add oil immediately” by the time I got home to top it up before driving back to the dealer.

To the OP: it’s most likely a leak as the 3.6 engines really don’t consume oil. The first thing I’d check is the plastic shields under the engine. If they’re wet with oil you’ve got a leak.

·
Registered
459 Posts
FinallyTDI after reading your response my OCD kept nagging at me and caused me to dig deeper. As per your suggestion to check for leaking I did and found none. You mentioned the 3.6 engines don't really consume oil, so now I'm really digging for an answer as to why if this engine doesn't burn or leak would I be 1 bar above min on the service screen.
I started searching around a bit a found someone who had posted this... "
One thing to keep in mind is (apparently) every time you open the hood, it triggers a recalibration of the sensor readout. It might take 2-3 driving cycles for the readout to come back. Park the vehicle as consistently level as possible each time too." So I went out to the Treg, popped the hood, closed it and went back to the service screen. Wouldn't ya' know... the oil level is now 2 bars under the max level now (the engine was still at ~140°). I'm sure if the engine was fully warmed up and I was parked perfectly level it would be very close to the max mark.
The above mentioned procedure might be something for everyone to keep in mind/do if they suspect the oil reading isn't correct, and I stand corrected myself. Thanks for making me dig further FinallyTDI.

·
Registered
459 Posts
OK it's been a while since I posted on this thread and have had the chance to observe/research this oil consumption situation with my '11 Treg FSI. Apparently the electronic oil level reading is...mostly accurate. My Treg loses oil.

Per other suggestions I checked everywhere on top/sides/bottom of engine and find it absolutely bone dry...no oil streaks... no leaking. It must be as so many others have said. It's burning the oil. So in doing more research on this I figure it's probably one of two things.
1- A bad PCV valve. Unfortunately the VR6 engines is built into the valve cover. I don't hear the noise some complain about when the diaphragm of the PCV valve tears, so I'm leaning to the next option.

2- The oil is getting by either the valve seals or the piston rings as per the article in the link below. Excessive Oil Consumption | VW Problems

Some say the VR6 doesn't really burn oil. Maybe...depending on how it was broken in @ new. Being I purchased this vehicle used with ~72K on it and don't know how it was broken in I can only assume that it was either done harshly and this attributes to the oil blow by now, or it was done properly and there is something going on internally with the engine.
Since many others ..even TDI owners..Jetta owners...well... VW owners in general complain of this In researching what could cause this blow by in engines, besides bad gaskets or PCV valves, it seems that sludge deposits (no matter how small) or tarnish on the pistons causing the rings to stick to them and not seal against the walls correctly comes up.
So I'm wondering if anyone with more knowledge on this subject ,as it relates to VW engines, than me would know if there are any good oil additives that would correct the sludge/tarnish situation in these engines without actually harming the engines and help with the oil blow by?

·
Registered
535 Posts
OK it's been a while since I posted on this thread and have had the chance to observe/research this oil consumption situation with my '11 Treg FSI. Apparently the electronic oil level reading is...mostly accurate. My Treg loses oil.

Per other suggestions I checked everywhere on top/sides/bottom of engine and find it absolutely bone dry...no oil streaks... no leaking. It must be as so many others have said. It's burning the oil. So in doing more research on this I figure it's probably one of two things.
1- A bad PCV valve. Unfortunately the VR6 engines is built into the valve cover. I don't hear the noise some complain about when the diaphragm of the PCV valve tears, so I'm leaning to the next option.

2- The oil is getting by either the valve seals or the piston rings as per the article in the link below. Excessive Oil Consumption | VW Problems

Some say the VR6 doesn't really burn oil. Maybe...depending on how it was broken in @ new. Being I purchased this vehicle used with ~72K on it and don't know how it was broken in I can only assume that it was either done harshly and this attributes to the oil blow by now, or it was done properly and there is something going on internally with the engine.
Since many others ..even TDI owners..Jetta owners...well... VW owners in general complain of this In researching what could cause this blow by in engines, besides bad gaskets or PCV valves, it seems that sludge deposits (no matter how small) or tarnish on the pistons causing the rings to stick to them and not seal against the walls correctly comes up.
So I'm wondering if anyone with more knowledge on this subject ,as it relates to VW engines, than me would know if there are any good oil additives that would correct the sludge/tarnish situation in these engines without actually harming the engines and help with the oil blow by?
Just speculation. When oil is heated the emissive gases are turned back into oil drops by the centrifuge on the back of the block above the timing chain. These same gases build up on the backside of the intake valves as the engine is direct injected. The build up is essentially oil crud, burnt oil. You didn't say how much oil you are losing. If it were significant burn off it would show up in exhaust. My 2005 VR6 has some minor oil loss but nothing significant. Forget additives use a good oil and change oil at half recommended interval. Think all VW engines hate dirty oil. The timing chain tensioners rely on oil pressure to operate. The upper tensioner has a very small hole for the pressure to push out the internal piston against the chain bumper. Dirty oil can result in an elongated timing chain if the tensioners don't operate properly. There is also a lower tensioner.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Just speculation. When oil is heated the emissive gases are turned back into oil drops by the centrifuge on the back of the block above the timing chain. These same gases build up on the backside of the intake valves as the engine is direct injected. The build up is essentially oil crud, burnt oil. You didn't say how much oil you are losing. If it were significant burn off it would show up in exhaust. My 2005 VR6 has some minor oil loss but nothing significant. Forget additives use a good oil and change oil at half recommended interval. Think all VW engines hate dirty oil. The timing chain tensioners rely on oil pressure to operate. The upper tensioner has a very small hole for the pressure to push out the internal piston against the chain bumper. Dirty oil can result in an elongated timing chain if the tensioners don't operate properly. There is also a lower tensioner.

Your partly correct... it is some speculation on my part but also research I've done on some of these vehicles losing oil. I'm wondering how many others would chime in if they joined this forum and read about it or even checked their oil level between changes ( I know some people who don't, VW or other maker).
I didn't say how much oil I was losing.... in this thread. I did in another as there are a few threads on the subject. I've got another 600 miles before my next oil/filter change is due. 5K interval. So far I've added about a quart since the last oil/filter change. A lot less than others and nowhere near what others/VW would deem excessive. At ~80k on the odometer I feel it shouldn't even lose that much. If you fully read my previous post you'll have noticed I included a link to a page that discusses how VW says it's normal for their engines to burn some oil.

Apparently the hyperlink doesn't bring you to the direct article. The one below does.

Excessive Oil Consumption - VW Problems

·
Registered
535 Posts
Your partly correct... it is some speculation on my part but also research I've done on some of these vehicles losing oil. I'm wondering how many others would chime in if they joined this forum and read about it or even checked their oil level between changes ( I know some people who don't, VW or other maker).
I didn't say how much oil I was losing.... in this thread. I did in another as there are a few threads on the subject. I've got another 600 miles before my next oil/filter change is due. 5K interval. So far I've added about a quart since the last oil/filter change. A lot less than others and nowhere near what others/VW would deem excessive. At ~80k on the odometer I feel it shouldn't even lose that much. If you fully read my previous post you'll have noticed I included a link to a page that discusses how VW says it's normal for their engines to burn some oil.

Apparently the hyperlink doesn't bring you to the direct article. The one below does.

Excessive Oil Consumption - VW Problems

My 2013 beetle and 2016 Tiguan consume oil between changes. Both have exact same 2.0 turbo engine. As both only require 4 qts of oil I generally check every other fill up. Can easily lose one qt between oil changes and neither have leaks anywhere. Never really worried about it figured the nature of the engine design. Figured some of the emissive gases that can build up on the intake also are drawn into the cylinder and burnt up in combustion vs oil getting past the piston rings and combusted.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My 2013 beetle and 2016 Tiguan consume oil between changes. Both have exact same 2.0 turbo engine. As both only require 4 qts of oil I generally check every other fill up. Can easily lose one qt between oil changes and neither have leaks anywhere. Never really worried about it figured the nature of the engine design. Figured some of the emissive gases that can build up on the intake also are drawn into the cylinder and burnt up in combustion vs oil getting past the piston rings and combusted.
The VR6 manual page 20 internal exhaust gas recirculation - indicates during the exhaust cycle both intake valve and exhaust valve are open and some of the combustion gasses are drawn into the intake and combustion chamber for the next combustion cycle. More than likely the lost oil is burnt up in combustion than leaking past piston rings.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It seems that the days of not having to add any oil between services have long gone.

Whereas I would never add any oil to SAABs, Range Rovers and BMWs between their 5,000, 6,000 and 8,000 mile services, nowadays in VWs, Audis and BMWs it is not unusual for engines to use as much as a litre per 1,000 miles!

Certainly it has to be as bad as that before any manufacturer will allow their dealer to investigate.

Here in the UK, long life servicing with distances of up to 18,000 miles between services means that an owner can be adding several litres of oil between services and, in the case of a small engine, effectively changing the oil completely between those services!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2011 vr6 Touareg is consuming oil as well. 1 qt per 1,000 miles if I’m lucky.

No leaks anywhere. Bone dry on the outside. No smoke from the tail pipes.

Spark plugs have been changed and the do not have oil build up.

Doing a coolant flush did seem slow the oil consumption. I’m thinking the engine temp is burning off the oil.

Any help would be great!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
11 Participants
Energy_guy
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing