Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are most people doing for oil changes on the boards. I've been draining oil the old fashioned way for decades, putting my vehicles on a ramp to make access easy. But as I get older, the thought of crawling on the ground has far less appeal. So I'm thinking of getting a oil vac canister to do my first oil change on my 2014 TDI. The only negative I see with the vac unit, is that I'll need to get a larger capacity version given the amount of oil in the TDI.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pump works well fo me. Just ensure the oil is warm. The tube is small so you might have to buy a smaller one. Luckly I already had it. Google it. There is a nice video with extraction also find the link I have posted in here a few weeks ago

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've wondered the same thing. I use a vac unit on my Tiguan which has a cartridge filter accessible from the top. I get out exactly 6 qts, replace the filter and I don't drip a single drop. However, my 2013 Tig with the VR6 has a cartridge filter only accessible from the bottom. I put the car up on ramps which means the car will be at quite the angle, so I wonder how much oil I would leave behind in the sump.

·
Registered
467 Posts
It's just me and I could be wrong, but I thought that draining them while warm was much better than the suction method as any residuals would be drained out with the oil as well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think that's an argument that's going to have plenty of supporters on both sides. There's no doubt suctioning from up top is more convenient, and an engine flush can be used to loosen and suspend more crud. But you can't do the full inspection from up top- several inspection items need to be done from under the vehicle.
At the end of the day, it's your vehicle- do what you feel most comfortable with.

It's just me and I could be wrong, but I thought that draining them while warm was much better than the suction method as any residuals would be drained out with the oil as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been using an extractor for years. but some cars you need to get under to change the filter anyways, so I usually drain those.

I personally run Snow tires on dedicated rims (on all my vehicles) and swap them myself- gives me a great chance for biannual inspection while raised.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts