Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody fitted an external oil separator? I just bought a Mann & Hummel Provent 200. From what I can see... the outlet pipe and intake pipe are vastly different in diameter on the V6! Also, since, I suspect, that the system is closed, I will have to fit a check valve in the oil drain line...!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
What are you trying to address? The engine already has an OEM separator.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What are you trying to address? The engine already has an OEM separator.

I would imagine the OP wants to remove the oil mist from the EGR which combines with the soot to make a mess!! Since cleaned it out and the performance is way better. A catch can may help to stop it building up again in another 60k miles.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, exactly what Capese21 said. Already had to clean out the intakes once. Just thinking of preventative maintenance. I already know that the valve cover has an oil air separator and have cleaned it out and replaced the valve.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
So you'll be venting to atmosphere? Or still running full EGR but with the aftermarket separator added?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still run EGR, but with aftermarket separator

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've installed the Pro-vent 200 on my Golf 2.0 L ABA (not a diesel). You can tap into the oil pan and run the drain line to there. Also, the inlet and outlet on the Pro-vent 200 are different diameters as well. I'm not sure what the size difference is on the Touareg, but you should be installing it with the inlet connected to the PCV crankcase outlet and the outlet to the air intake inlet. Also, the top of the Pro-vent 200 comes off to replace the filter screen, in case you were not aware. I don't plan on installing one on my Touareg, so I won't be much help here. Good luck.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I know the OP hasn't got a diesel but this will help with the fitting...

TonyB

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've had one in my MKIV Jetta since it was new. I've not installed one in my Touareg yet. One thing I was careful to do was install the Provent and all the piping close to the engine so that everything stays warm. In some of the other VW forrums, I've read about crankcase catch-can systems with condensation in them that freezes in cold weather. The crankcase then vents by blowing out the most labor-intensive seal it can find on the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts