Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 TDI Lux
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently (last weekend) purchased a 2014 TDI Lux from a VW dealer. As part of their dealer prep, they did an oil change at about 5k miles since the last one done by the original owner. This brings up two questions:
1. The dealer's paperwork says they added ZMax additive to the oil. As a professional tribologist, I'm skeptical of the usefulness of such additives, but OK, maybe they help improve lubricity and reduce wear. However, I'm new to diesel vehicles, and I have a slight concern that such additives will violate the 507 spec, possibly creating more ash to load up my DPF or some other problem. Do you all think there's any reason for concern?
2. I went to check the oil level in the "service" section of the RNS850. It does not indicate the level, and just says "Please Reduce Oil Level". So it looks like the dealership might have overfilled. Is this a reason for concern? I didn't realize this condition until I drove a couple hundred miles, and the Treg runs great.

I've done a search for both topics and have seen conflicting answers, so i just thought I'd check to see what the current wisdom is on these topics.

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
2014 TDI Lux
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, here's a follow-up. I started extracting some oil from the dipstick tube (which, of course, has no dipstick in it). The oil that came out is shown in this photo. It is quite black. The dealer claimed last week that this car just had an oil/filter change (300 miles ago now). Now, I'm not well acquainted with diesel engines, but if my gasser produced oil that looked like this after 300 miles, I would figure something is wrong. What do you think? Did this dealer fake an oil change?

Musical instrument Bicycle part Automotive exterior Gas Rim

After I took this photo, which shows about 8 ounces in the cup, I extracted another 24+ ounces. That's over 1 quart. And the car still says "Please reduce oil level". Should I keep on extracting until it reads a correct amount, or can it be that the gage is faulty?
Gadget Personal luxury car Audio equipment Font Automotive design

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,881 Posts
Should let the dealer deal with it. Now they can claim you messed with the oil level.

Diesel engine oil can turn black in as little as 8 hours of run time. When I was working on machinery, you could change the oil, work it for a day, and find the oil to look just like the old oil.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Diesels with egr turn oil black in a hurry I wouldn't sweat that part of it.
The additive sounds like snake oil/upcharge stuff

I probably wouldn't worry about the level either but worth keeping an eye on as you put more miles on it.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,881 Posts
I probably wouldn't worry about the level either
High oil level can cause foaming, which leads to cavitation of the oil pump. Can also lead to more blow-by which will destroy the cats/DPF.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Does your work sheet for the oil change show how many quarts were added? You never know what these guys may do or not . I'm sure a good tech isn't doing the oil change on you car.
It would be strange if they added too much since the oil is expensive.. Can I assume they changed the filter with the change.

·
Registered
2010 TDI
514 Posts
I had to drain the oil out after my first change due to a leaking seal on the drain plug. I can't remember if I even started the engine or not. I drained the fresh (0 miles) oil into a clean bucket and I would have been hard-pressed to tell if it was old or new just by looking at it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had to drain the oil out after my first change due to a leaking seal on the drain plug. I can't remember if I even started the engine or not. I drained the fresh (0 miles) oil into a clean bucket and I would have been hard-pressed to tell if it was old or new just by looking at it.
I know you don't get 100% change but that's surprising. And good to know actually.

·
Registered
2014 TDI Lux
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your comments. It's good to know that oil turns black so quickly in diesel engines. Here's a link to an article by Blauparts.com on the subject. I'm no longer doubting that they did the oil change. Also, I found the work sheet for the oil change in the dealer's paperwork. They said they used 81 units of VW/Audi G-E52-545-S0 oil. Now I'm trying to confirm that this oil meets the 507 spec, just to be sure. Parts.vw.com says its not a suitable oil for a 2014 Touareg TDI:
Font Technology Screenshot Design Wood

I finally extracted a total of about 42 ounces of oil through the dipstick tube, and the MMI electronic gauge now says it's right at the max fill line. I would have taken the Treg to the dealer to handle this issue, but they are 220 miles away. I'm hoping that the long drive with well over a quart over-full did no damage to the cats or DPF. Are there IDE values in VCDS that would address this specifically?

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts
I would ensure that you contact the dealer and at the very least document all of this.
IF you end up with damage down the road as a result of their incompetence, you will end up paying a lot out of pocket to have your baby repaired.

Butchers everywhere!
Stay away from a dealer that can't even do an oil change properly.

I dunno WTF 81 stands for, but it's similar to the 8.1qt that a CNRB oil change should take.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You'll be fine..
That engine is very durable...as long as you have oil, youre fine.
Your dealer changed the oil-+ he will have documentation to that effect , (VW corporate is close-examining ALL dealers with diesel related issues)..
Dont worry...it'll be fine...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I finally extracted a total of about 42 ounces of oil through the dipstick tube, and the MMI electronic gauge now says it's right at the max fill line.
FYI, I had to add some oil when it hit the min level a couple months ahead of the annual service. The min/max are not zero to full. I added a quart (32 oz) and it took it from the min line to almost max. So the difference between the min and max lines is only a little more than a quart. IIRC, once it drops below the min level (not a low oil pressure warning), the car threatens to go into limp mode in x miles unless you add more oil.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,881 Posts
You'll be fine..
That engine is very durable...as long as you have oil, youre fine.
This is terrible advice, for any engine.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts