Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,

Starting a few weeks ago, i'm having problems with the engine coolant not reaching operating temperature. In city driving everything seems fine, needle stay at 90C, but on longer trips outside the city, it fluctuates ~70-80C sometimes 90C. Outside temperatures are around -5C..+5C. Now, i know this symptoms are correlated with thermostats but which one is to blame?! I read there are several thermostats there, some model have them, some dont, one is located on the EGR valve, one near water pump in front of the engine, one located in the oil filter case. I'm lost.
For my engine, 2011 V6 TDI CASA 240hp, i found two part numbers:
059121113N - on the EGR
059121111N - left of water pump (main one?!)
Someone with more knowledge can point me in the right direction? The codes are correct for my engine? I need to change them both?
PS. If it matters, my Eberspacher ain't working so can not help warming the engine.

Thank You!

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I would replace this one first.

059121111N - left of water pump (main one?!)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a log with VCDS and it looks like the thermostat is stuck on open. Ordered new one.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Wow. The engine oil is eventually getting warmer than the coolant. That ain't right! ;)

You can see the spikes in the radiator temp as the thermostat opens and lets warm coolant leave the engine. It appears the thermostat then closes and the temp drops. Then it opens again, closes again. All this time your engine is never warming up, the temp is way too low.

VCDS can be your best friend sometimes! :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My guess is, I think is stuck open. The spikes are "traffic" (down is when i drive and temp goes down and up when i wait on traffic lights and temp rises). I ordered both thermostats, will replace them and redo the test. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts