/\ Agreed, It seems like half of those tank hoses could have been eliminated if they put the fuel filter and fuel outlet on the same side.
So I got everything swapped over yesterday. What a pain in the butt trying to fish all of those hoses from one tank to another. I tried making marks to keep everything straight, but of course they washed right off haha
This video was a big help:
Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyNOvhwtCdk
I also took pictures of how everything sat in the tank to ensure when I buttoned it up, everything would be where it was before and out of the way.
So after swapping the fuel sending unit, and the passenger pump, along with tossing in some new tank gaskets, I gave her a go.....
NOTHING, same as before... uhg... Tried it a few times, same result.
I unplugged the MAF and held the throttle open for a big, then tried again. It stumbled to life but would die after a few seconds. This kept happening...
Crud, Replugged in the maf, tried again... same thing.
I pulled out two of the spark plugs and they were wet, but had what looked like droplets of condensation on them.
Remembering that the gas I pumped out during the fuel pump flow tests looked odd, I finally decided to try it with fresh gas (keeping in mind all of this happened right after putting ~8 gallons in when the car was on E).
So I disconnected the fuel outlet line (this time there was lots of pressure, where before almost non-would come out, so that a good start) Put my 3/8" I.D. Hose on the fitting, and tried starting just to verify fuel was flowing during starts, it was.
Then hooked my jumper leads up directly to the battery charger and pumped out as much fuel as I could.
The tank guage was now reading between E-1/4. Ran to a brand new gas station, picked up 5 gallons of 92, went home and filled her up with that.
Retried to start her... BINGO. It fired up on the second try, but was running rough.
Hooked up VagCom and went to measuring blocks 15, 15, and 17 to view cylinder misfires. 4 and 8 were climbing rapidly!!! 100+ woah
Swapped coil Packs, still 4 and 8. Swapped spark plugs, still 4 and 8.
The plugs didnt look great anyway, so I swapped in some new NGK Iradium plugs (the old ones smelled a bit funky). Still after a few seconds rapid misfires on 4 and 8, but only at idle, off idle they ran fine.
Being the two rear cylinders I figured they must have something in common, maybe the injectors are to blame and something happened as a result of the crap fuel (moisture or something).
Sooo I decided that the following day i would swap injectors to see if the misfire followed, but before that i figured, well it runs great when not at idle, lets just see if i can burn it off. I went railing around for a bit with Vagcom still displaying measuring blocks 15-17. After a few blocks the misfires decreased at idle, until after about 5 minutes they were gone completely (1 or two would occasionally register but 1-3 is fairly normal as long as its not consistent). Yay!!!
So it appears it was mainly bad gas, the weak fuel pump wasnt helping at all either, but today I am going to fill her up with non-ethanol 92 to dilute the remaining crap gas even further, toss in something like gumout just for good measure, and call it a day. I have NEVER had bad gas from a gas station in my life, and thought it was mainly just a cop out excuse when people couldnt figure out what was really wrong haha now I know better.
Now, that is pending it still starts this morning haha fingers crossed