Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know the answer to this one already but I want to check before I go looking for parts. Got a call from my wife, pulled over on the freeway, said "there was a loud noise, I thought I had a flat tire but I don't!" So I run over and sure enough no flat tire but if I get above 30-35mph it starts clunking like the car is trying to rip itself apart and I can feel a lot of vibration through the armrest. I have to slow to 10-15mph for the noise to stop and then once again it's safe up to about 30-35mph.

I'm relatively certain this is the center support bearing failure on the propshaft and that my best plan of action is to get a refurbished shaft from Colorado Driveshaft. This is a 2004 V8 with about 155k on the clock, by the way. I got the car at around 100k so I don't know if this has been replaced in the past.

Is there any other likely problem or solution here?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Do some searching here - tons of info on this. You can probably just replace the support bearing and not the entire drive shaft for a lot less money. Good luck & let us know how you make out!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do some searching here - tons of info on this. You can probably just replace the support bearing and not the entire drive shaft for a lot less money. Good luck & let us know how you make out!
It looks like the refurb shaft is only like $375 by the time I return the core, and the Vertex split bearing support is $400 by itself... I'm sure it's a little quicker to install but it doesn't seem like it would save me much!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
get under the car and inspect the support bearing see if there is excessive play

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
get under the car and inspect the support bearing see if there is excessive play
The shaft seems to move with almost no resistance with one-handed non-herculean strength.

I haven't been actively involved in automotive engineering for a few years now, but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
sounds like you found the problem. If you can view the rubber support while moving (with a torch) then you should see the movement in the rubber which is the problem.

New bearing support needed i would say

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ya, definitely sounds like support. I went with the Vertex Automotive solution found on Amazon. It was very easy. The only thing I'm glad I had was an extra pair of hands and an angle grinder to cut the original bearing support off. Once that was off, we just took the angle grinder to the bearing and gently angled it properly to spin the bearing but also remove the rubber that is adhered to the bearing. Also a razer blade will work nicely, but will take a lot longer.

Everything is running smooth in my Treg! Hope you can find a quick and permanent fix to your problem.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It looks like the refurb shaft is only like $375 by the time I return the core, and the Vertex split bearing support is $400 by itself... I'm sure it's a little quicker to install but it doesn't seem like it would save me much!
Go with the vertex as there is nothing wrong with the shaft. Hardest part is getting the old rubber off the bearing. I used a carpenters blade and cleaned easily to bear metal. Took me less than 15 minutes to install the vertex once prepped. Very well built hefty product and no worries about getting an unbalanced shaft which can happen if you buy a shaft rebuild.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You obviously haven't bothered to use the Search facility on here . . .

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
I am surprised at the pain people put them selves through by not using the Search option..

·
Registered
76 Posts
I thought the purpose of a forum was for one enthusiast to ask other enthusiasts a question they might have,,,, not promote the f&@kn' search button

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
I thought the purpose of a forum was for one enthusiast to ask other enthusiasts a question they might have,,,, not promote the f&@kn' search button
Hold on there! If you understood "my" posting as a complaint, then you have completely missed my point. This forum has a fantastic collection of valuable information already posted and was not directed at your posting. I personally find searching back through old posting a valuable exercise. Each to their own.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts

While I have seen your post and have no issues with helping owners with any info I can, I do get the could not be bothered feeling when I have posted a detailed drive shaft rebuild procedure and it sort of goes to waste when I have to revisit it.
Have a search and if you have anymore questions please ask and I and no doubt others would be only to happy to provide information.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes, and the Search function was EXACTLY the right place to send you.

Now you've had your little tantrum, have you actually taken the trouble to type Colorado Drive Shaft into the Search box and seen just how many helpful threads there are?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just went through this on my 06 V8. I got a complete replacement shaft off ebay for $320. There is extensive repair advice for that job on this board. Dropping the rear exhaust section makes the repair much easier. But it's basically a 6, 6, and 3 job. 6 triple square bolts on the differential. 6 bolts on the carrier bracket, and 3 of the 6 bolts on the front flex joint. You'll have to put the car up on stands. Easily a DIY job. I've still got some issue with mine. Very infrequently, going up hill, my shaft seems to skip a beat. Almost like it slips a notch, but very subtle. I'm not sure if the center carrier bearing bracket needs to be aligned (the bolt holes allow for alignment to some degree) and the bolt torque for the flex disc might be an issue or it might be something else altogether. But in any event, there is an entire section on the repair on this board.

·
Registered
6 Posts
've got the cluncks BUT it is not the rear driveshaft

Help me figure this one out. I have this cluncking that feels like it is under the passenger seat. Only on brisk acceleration, like turning left onto a busy street trying to get up to speed of traffic. If I accelerate easily no clunk, if I go past half throttle Clunks. They do not seem to change with the speed of the car, and there are only 3 or maybe 4 before I ease up on the throttle and then all smooth and good.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts