Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK kids. Love VW. I am about to buy a Toureg to turn into an offroad beast. First time, so taking advice from the experts. Probably divicive but lets hear your arguments.

1. Can a later mode say 2012-2015 with on centre diff compete with pre 2010 in the off road stakes?
Obviously 8 speed etc has advantages but can it compete with pre2010 offload without a rear diff locker or does it have some other tech I am not aware of which makes it just as capable?

2. Adjustable air suspension or lifted on springs?

3. Issues running off road wheels permanently, or best to run 2 sets for on and off road. Frankly I like the way the offroaders look even on the tarmac, so will probably do that unless talked out of it.

4. How is everyone permanently fitting their full size offroad spare?

5. Where does everyone go for their offroad accessories in Aus...?

6. Tips, tricks, fears and concerns....?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'd say a later one can compete. I think the the <2010 are superior in some ways but if the later is lifted, has 4xmotion, it can compete for sure. I prefer using off-road wheels/tires all the time on these. I cannot stand the 19-20" rim selections. I currently have 20", looks great as a fancy mom grocery getter but for me it's boring. I will be lifting my new to me 2012 (no center diff...yet) 2.5" with 275/65/18 wildpeak tires on 18x8 wheels. As far as a permanent spare. Not sure on that. If offroad I'd just throw it in the top basket. Unless you can find someone to make you a hatch carrier. I plan to run these all the time. Similar to my old 2010 TDI.

Tire repair in-case you need it vs carrying a heavy spare

Might want to find some overland information to learn from for tips tricks etc... Overland Journal is great

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The biggest hole I've fixed took 5 tire strings before the pressure held.

The tire was due to be scrapped along with the other three a few days later but the new set of tires was delayed so the fact the fix worked well was very welcome.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If you're buying a Touareg ONLY for its offroading capabilities, there are far better options for far less money. That said, any Touareg is a great Touareg and very capable offroad especially with a little lift and some good tires.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If you're buying a Touareg ONLY for its offroading capabilities, there are far better options for far less money. That said, any Touareg is a great Touareg and very capable offroad especially with a little lift and some good tires.
This is true. We almost went with a GX-470 but MPG sucked and a lot of people have them. I would definitely say that the Touareg would not make the best overland vehicle. I rather have a Toyota product, parts are easy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The (T3) suspension design is overwhelmingly suited for the pavement. It's not even close to being something to consider for actual off roading. Dirt, snow, mud, sand, sure...but once you start lifting wheels off the ground its over. Even the manufacturers know it, which is obviously why they omitted the low range transfer case on the T3. Don't go trying to make it something that it isn't and expect it to hang with a GX470, 4Runner, Taco, Tahoe, etc. It's not made for it. All you'll end up doing is trashing a nice vehicle in the process. This applies to the T3, as the T1 is definitely better suited for actual off road.

And FYI, the air suspended models aren't much better. Sure it will make you feel good crossing water or stepping up into a big 'manly' SUV but lifting with air diminishes what little suspension articulation is present already. You can watch videos of people off roading with the suspension puffed all the way up. It will lift a wheel off the ground going diagonal over a speed bump. Same goes for an air suspended cherokee, too.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
It can hang if you want it to. They offer these same vehicles in the ROW with transfer case (Which is actually mated to the transmission on ours with a cap on it) lockers and all. The touareg is well capable if getting to where most of us want to go. If you are looking to rock crawl, maybe something else for sure. With good wheels/tires and a slight lift, it's well capable. So I say do what you like to it. You won't ruin it with bigger AT tires and even a lift. Do it. Otherwise get a T2. I had one of those too and it was excellent.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
This video is about all I have ever done with my T2 and will do with T3. T3 seems to be doing just fine. Not sure if it has 4xmotion but let's assume it does. Still very capable even without.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Stage 1 complete. Tires and wheels. Disappointed with the size I chose, 265/60/18 Falken Wildpeak AT3/w Might have to change out tires for 275/65/18

2.5" lift and bilstein's next! Maybe some spacers.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
What don't you like about the tires, the height? I think it looks nice

·
Super Moderator
9,562 Posts
Previous gens were just fine off road. I had wheels lifted many times and never got stuck. Traction control works just fine in them. I don't know enough about the '11 and newer to make any comments on them. I have had my '10 as well as my non air '04 through some rough areas in CO. Jeep people would give us snide comments all the time, but we were enjoying the trails as much as them.

Reactions: alfissimo

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Previous gens were just fine off road. I had wheels lifted many times and never got stuck. Traction control works just fine in them. I don't know enough about the '11 and newer to make any comments on them. I have had my '10 as well as my non air '04 through some rough areas in CO. Jeep people would give us snide comments all the time, but we were enjoying the trails as much as them.
Only real difference is weight, 4xmotion is gone and .5" lowered but that seems like a lot more. No worries though, lifted mine 2.5" with that tire and wheel combo about. People state the high strength steel was removed and it was lightened but I think technology changed and they were able to lighten it and strengthen it as much as old versions. As far as I can tell the car is very similar over all but with these changes to mechanics. Suspension arms are aluminum vs steel. The t3 is totally capable of a lot. That said, I'd take my t2 back if I could. ;)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
VERY good looking ride broski

Reactions: alfissimo

·
Registered
2009 R5 2.5 TDI 6-speed manual
7 Posts
I have done offroading only in military so no tyre options there. I have owned my 2009 R5 TDI 6-speed manual few weeks which had only one set of barely legal 245/65/17 winter tires. Allready ordered ATs but I'm thinking about buy a set on Offroad tyres and wondered if 7x17 steel wheals and 235/80/17 are wide enought? My T is quit light as there is no rear seats and has steel suspension.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Nice. I like steelies. On other models with 5x130 PCD, alloys have always been the cheaper alternative for a set of off-road or winter wheels.

On the standard 235/65/17 size then 235 for a winter set is ideal.

Personally I'd prefer 255 (255/60/17 being another OEM size) for off-road/mud, especially if you need to lower pressures to gain grip.

Nominally, with your choice of tyre the width compared to standard remains the same at 9.3 inches whilst the overall diameter increases from the Touareg OEM standard of 29 inches, give or take a fraction, to 31.8 inches.

The generally accepted largest diameter before any rubbing is 31.5 inches so you should test fit your choice of tyre first.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts