Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Offered a "good" deal on an 04 V10 this week, trying to make a good decision here.

I have been reading about the 04 issues, and I'm wondering if I am considering putting myself into a maintenance nightmare. The current owner has done a LOT of maintenance recently, $$$$'s of replacements including ECU issues, EGR's, and a list of other items that I can request later today. My question is, are the 04's just inherently problematic? I'm assuming what he has replaced are the most current revision of said parts, so should this put me in the clear? It seems that every time I speak with him, the car is at the dealer having something fixed up. It still has warranty for another 25k miles and/or 2-3 years, but I don't think VW covers everything.

I'm looking at just around $18k with 75k miles currently. No Nav, but I believe all other options.

Interested in CONSTRUCTIVE feedback ;)

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Have you got a disposable $10K when its out of warranty? if not look at something else.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I'd put that at $20K.

The V10 is the equivalent of the 412 Ferrari - lovely to look at, delightful to hear, enjoyable to drive and cheap to buy, but my God, they can be a money pit if you get a bad one.

These are NOT cars for anyone on a budget.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Low Blow!

That can be just as truthfully said about any V10.

johnt
Oh I meant it for any v10. And hey I owned 2 '04s, my v6 was actually WORSE than my v10 for non stop repairs!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Seriously maintenance on these beasts are expensive and it's not like US has allot of mechanics to work on them. My brother has a V10 and has only 40k miles on it and he has had the turbos replaced which took 4 months and he was not supplied with a loaner. So unless your buying this as a hobby and not a vehicle you want to use everyday I personally would walk away. Good luck in what ever you choose

·
Premium Member
545 Posts

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
This is exactly what i have been saying for a long time.
Everybody is scared about the maintenance on the V10.
And they are right. The V10's will be offered for next to nothing in the future.
It will not matter if they still have some warranty on them or not, because they will go out of warranty. Maintenance is one of the reasons I decided not to buy another touareg. Only one person (besides the dealer) qualified to work on mine, which was an ex VW mechanic and that in a town with about 200k people
By the way if you need big work done and you are not to far from SW Missouri, I will recommend you to go see him if the truck can make the trip still.
It will save you a lot of money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love my '04 v8 'Treg', but, at 40,000 miles I am afraid it is going to start costing big $$$. I don't know if I'd enjoy another Treg w/o the v8. Does anyone know if the newer Tregs have improved? I am so tired of hearing "I have a flat tire"...and NOT! Purchased this Treg demo in '05...have been the only owner. Dealership promised to fix the flat tire warning. It would quit for awhile, only to return. Looking at the 4runner (Toyota), but I am afraid I won't enjoy it as much as my v8 Treg.

·
Super Moderator
9,684 Posts
I love my '04 v8 'Treg', but, at 40,000 miles I am afraid it is going to start costing big $$$. I don't know if I'd enjoy another Treg w/o the v8. Does anyone know if the newer Tregs have improved? I am so tired of hearing "I have a flat tire"...and NOT! Purchased this Treg demo in '05...have been the only owner. Dealership promised to fix the flat tire warning. It would quit for awhile, only to return. Looking at the 4runner (Toyota), but I am afraid I won't enjoy it as much as my v8 Treg.
Get someone with a VAG Com to turn the system off for you if you don't want to spend the money to get it fixed. It is not a mandatory thing for your model year. If the rest of the vehical is doing fine I would just hold on to it and enjoy it. You are going to have to do a timing belt at some point with it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have an 07, and it hasn't had a single issue, other than the t-stat needing replaced, which was a $500 warranty repair. I put roughly 20,000 trouble free miles on it.
It's time to do something with the DPF's though, as I think they are going to be clogged soon, regens are occuring more often I've been noticing.

Bottom line, the newer you can afford, the less you will PROBABLY have to spend on maint. I think they got things pretty much perfected on the 07's and 08's as far as turbos going and other annoyances. My 04 & 05 petrols were maint nightmares...

I love mine and wouldn't trade it for any vehicle currently made, and I would put $10k into it if needed after the warranty expires, just to have such a unique vehicle.

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
Your are kidding right? sensors? rip them out and have it vagged off.
I have done 161000 miles before I thought cost was not justifying to keep it anymore.
Trade it in and find out what you will get for it.($12k probably) You can afford many many repairs if you look at the difference in price to what you will have to plunk down for the toyota.
If you cannot afford maintenance like tire sensors then Oh boy you bought the wrong vehicle (and that has nothing to do with miles)
You need a timing belt too (not miles but age is the factor)
After that you should be good to go for a while.
Mine was pretty much trouble free upto 100k. Only had one repair

1 - 13 of 13 Posts