Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Treg’s
We have a 2013 model 150 TDI V6 Touareg so basic 4WD mode no air suspension. We will be towing a 17 foot Avan caravan that has off-road suspension with adventure pack. The question I have is we are thinking of doing some more serious off-road travels doing the lap of Australia on sand and more rugged four-wheel-drive trails wanted to know if anyone else has done it with this model as well. We have been on a few 4WD trails car only using the 4WD mode and seems to slow car and work well in 4WD mode which has hill decent holder, anyhow tips and tricks would be great.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,301 Posts
I thought, and someone can correct me if I am wrong, that our Tregs are permanent 4MOTION/AWD/4WD vehicles.
My question to you is... How did you go on 4WD trails using only the 4WD "mode"?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Thanks for your response yes you are correct VW Touareg 4motion is AWD and I believe it automatically selects power to front & rear axle based on traction requirements. here is a better description online "4Motion for the Touareg is a full-time all-wheel-drive system requiring no driver input. The Touareg’s 4Motion uses mechanical torque-sensing (Torsen) center differential to direct power to the axle with most traction. By default, the Touareg’s torque split is set at 40% to the front axle and 60% to the rear axle, but the 4Motion can send up to 60% to the front axle and up to 80% to the rear axle in low-traction conditions. "
However I am mainly chasing information on how the off-road mode operates for 4WD tracks and on sand and as stated my Touareg has no air suspension. So from this website the Touareg in off Road mode does the following "
The Touareg also features an “Off-Road” program that alters the stability control components. It features special programming for the ABS, ASR, and EDL systems, ensuring confident handling off-road. The system also features a Hill Descent Assistant and modified off-road shift programming.
Available on 2011 and later Touareg models". Just chasing some real life examples of Touareg owners driving around Australian in outback 4WD roads and along sand / beaches.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,301 Posts
My only response is...when going in/through sand it is important that the tires be aired down. This allows for full bite of the entire trad pattern. It is helpful also if the tires you're running have sidewall grippers.
I learned this when I had a '99 Tahoe which had Goodyear Durtracs on the wheels. Pic is of my Tahoe with the Goodyears on them before the vehicle was totaled.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My only response is...when going in/through sand it is important that the tires be aired down. This allows for full bite of the entire trad pattern. It is helpful also if the tires you're running have sidewall grippers.
I learned this when I had a '99 Tahoe which had Goodyear Durtracs on the wheels. Pic is of my Tahoe with the Goodyears on them before the vehicle was totaled.

View attachment 244666
Thanks for your tips yes i have heard that before I am newbee to traveling 4WD & sand so will have to do further research

·
Registered
04 V8 T1
1,207 Posts
You need to air down the tires on sand and turn off traction control ( Hold it for 5 seconds to turn off fully) Then you should be great. Now I know it's not Australia but I used to take my Touareg on the beach all the time, the sand was super soft and it drove great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You need to air down the tires on sand and turn off traction control ( Hold it for 5 seconds to turn off fully) Then you should be great. Now I know it's not Australia but I used to take my Touareg on the beach all the time, the sand was super soft and it drove great.
Thx for your reply just reviewing some articles online they say 16psi tyre pressure and depends on how soft the sand is I current run 36psi on road. Also some mention of recommended true as well I have standard kumo road tyre some suggestions here for best AWD tyres would be good from forum as well.

·
Registered
04 V8 T1
1,207 Posts
Thx for your reply just reviewing some articles online they say 16psi tyre pressure and depends on how soft the sand is I current run 36psi on road. Also some mention of recommended true as well I have standard kumo road tyre some suggestions here for best AWD tyres would be good from forum as well.
Yes around 16psi would be good. You don't want to air down much lower then that. Bc if you do get stuck, you will want to leave some room to air down more. The tire creates a bigger foot print with the lower PSI that you do down to.
Tires are a big thing as well, but I have regular tires on mine, and never had an issue once I knew what I was doing. You'll be fine. Go give it a shot! .

·
Registered
2017 Wolfsburg 3.0 TDI
18 Posts
Hi Dondunn, we are about to embark on our own adventure similar to you. Towing a 17'6" single axle offroad van with our treg. I found after destroying a 20" tyre on some sharp rocky tracks that I needed less wheel and more sidewall. This is better for airing down too. Not sure what size rims you have on your car, but I found a good set of Cayenne 18" wheels on ebay with 255/60/18 Scorpion ATR tyres. Pretty close to original diameter and not too noisey yet. When the tyres are done there are a lot of all terrain options to choose from at 18" . Also try to get 5 rims so you have a full size spare which I think you really need to have if heading remote. Where you carry it is another point of consideration that has been covered on this forum in detail. Good luck on your travels we'll keep an eye out!
Pete

·
Registered
261 Posts
@dondunn33, your truck is very capable. Here is a 7P/"T3" (your generation) showing what they are capable of doing (however the Touareg in the video does have air suspension, but you get the point):

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Touareg though aT1, but it seemed to impress everyone on the trail, including myself.
there are a couple of other adventures in my touareg as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Dondunn, we are about to embark on our own adventure similar to you. Towing a 17'6" single axle offroad van with our treg. I found after destroying a 20" tyre on some sharp rocky tracks that I needed less wheel and more sidewall. This is better for airing down too. Not sure what size rims you have on your car, but I found a good set of Cayenne 18" wheels on ebay with 255/60/18 Scorpion ATR tyres. Pretty close to original diameter and not too noisey yet. When the tyres are done there are a lot of all terrain options to choose from at 18" . Also try to get 5 rims so you have a full size spare which I think you really need to have if heading remote. Where you carry it is another point of consideration that has been covered on this forum in detail. Good luck on your travels we'll keep an eye out!
Pete
Hey thanks for those tips on tyres will keep a look out for extra spare

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes around 16psi would be good. You don't want to air down much lower then that. Bc if you do get stuck, you will want to leave some room to air down more. The tire creates a bigger foot print with the lower PSI that you do down to.
Tires are a big thing as well, but I have regular tires on mine, and never had an issue once I knew what I was doing. You'll be fine. Go give it a shot! .
Thanks the tips on air pressure on sand will definitely be trying it out this year

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Don. You'll find your Treg is pretty capable on sand with lowered tyre pressure as others have suggested. You will be limited a bit by clearance without air suspension. I highly recommend you consider buying a couple of recovery tracks and a little spade just in case. With a good set of AT tyres on we've had ours on beaches and river beds and all sorts of outback tracks (all the way to the tip) and not had problems. My advice is start easy and work your up to bigger challenges to find the car's and your own limits.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Don. You'll find your Treg is pretty capable on sand with lowered tyre pressure as others have suggested. You will be limited a bit by clearance without air suspension. I highly recommend you consider buying a couple of recovery tracks and a little spade just in case. With a good set of AT tyres on we've had ours on beaches and river beds and all sorts of outback tracks (all the way to the tip) and not had problems. My advice is start easy and work your up to bigger challenges to find the car's and your own limits.
Great suggestions I am planning to start slow and add recovery track wedges and spade thanks again for the tips.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi dondunn33,
All the advice above is right.
A few other things to think about:
1. Clearance is probably your biggest weakness. Depending on how much you want to do, you might want to look at a lift kit - maybe 50mm. I don’t know if the 150 might need it but heavy duty springs in rear might help. Those two things made a huge difference for our Pajero when we drove around Aus, mostly off the blacktop.
2. The second weakness is Touaregs don’t have dedicated/rated recovery points. You can use your tow hitch at the rear with an adapter or the Reese hitch pin (never the towball😧).
The front is more problematic and I’m reluctant to snatch from there. I did buy an extra eye bolt to have two that fit in the front bumper so I can use both together with another strap (a tree protector actually). I’ve seen reports on this site that these bolts are rated for snatching, but …
3. Watch a few YouTube videos of how to recover, what kit to take, etc.
You must have a compressor and a tyre gauge, and I’d suggest a shovel and snatch strap and maybe tracks.
Also take a puncture repair kit. But they’re not always useable because you can’t fix sidewall punctures.
4. Watch a few YouTube videos of towing weights, loading, etc. It’s more complicated than it looks. Around 2/3 caravan rigs in Australia are overloaded somewhere (GVM, GCM, ATM or towball).
We found our Touareg towed better with weight in it.
BTW I’m not a fan of caravans on heavily corrugated roads. I know they make “off-road” caravans and I know they often break on roads like the Gibb, Tanami and Cape York. So, with your Avan, “Choose wisely” as they say.
5. Lower your tyre pressures on unsealed roads - we used about 30psi or sometimes a bit lower.
I highly recommend tyre pressure monitors. I bought Axis TPMS off eBay and found they worked very well and they work on a caravan. We did 5 tyres in 40,000km but never wrecked one mainly because we knew instantly when we had a puncture or leak.
6. Good VW mechanics are hard to find, but there is a list on this site that people have recommended.
List of Auz wide mechanics for treg nomads

Happy travels and adventures. We’re in Rockhampton, halfway round from Perth, so I hope we’ll see you somewhere.
Cheers, Brett

Reactions: Kbas

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi dondunn33,
All the advice above is right.
A few other things to think about:
1. Clearance is probably your biggest weakness. Depending on how much you want to do, you might want to look at a lift kit - maybe 50mm. I don’t know if the 150 might need it but heavy duty springs in rear might help. Those two things made a huge difference for our Pajero when we drove around Aus, mostly off the blacktop.
2. The second weakness is Touaregs don’t have dedicated/rated recovery points. You can use your tow hitch at the rear with an adapter or the Reese hitch pin (never the towball😧).
The front is more problematic and I’m reluctant to snatch from there. I did buy an extra eye bolt to have two that fit in the front bumper so I can use both together with another strap (a tree protector actually). I’ve seen reports on this site that these bolts are rated for snatching, but …
3. Watch a few YouTube videos of how to recover, what kit to take, etc.
You must have a compressor and a tyre gauge, and I’d suggest a shovel and snatch strap and maybe tracks.
Also take a puncture repair kit. But they’re not always useable because you can’t fix sidewall punctures.
4. Watch a few YouTube videos of towing weights, loading, etc. It’s more complicated than it looks. Around 2/3 caravan rigs in Australia are overloaded somewhere (GVM, GCM, ATM or towball).
We found our Touareg towed better with weight in it.
BTW I’m not a fan of caravans on heavily corrugated roads. I know they make “off-road” caravans and I know they often break on roads like the Gibb, Tanami and Cape York. So, with your Avan, “Choose wisely” as they say.
5. Lower your tyre pressures on unsealed roads - we used about 30psi or sometimes a bit lower.
I highly recommend tyre pressure monitors. I bought Axis TPMS off eBay and found they worked very well and they work on a caravan. We did 5 tyres in 40,000km but never wrecked one mainly because we knew instantly when we had a puncture or leak.
6. Good VW mechanics are hard to find, but there is a list on this site that people have recommended.
List of Auz wide mechanics for treg nomads

Happy travels and adventures. We’re in Rockhampton, halfway round from Perth, so I hope we’ll see you somewhere.
Cheers, Brett
View attachment 244784
Hey Brett, thanks for your post a lot of useful information no doubt gathered from all your experiences. Yes have looked at rear suspension lift but none are recommended by VW, however got a 50mm high rise towball which give a little more clearance. Touareg rig has correct weights
Max GCM 6380
Max GVM 2840
Avan caravan
ATM 1810
Tare 1460 loaded approx 1800
tow ball weight 170 loaded 150 empty
Also will do further research off roading my approach will be gentle gentle and build up our confidence.
BTW nice rig you have and might see you on the lap sometime we are in the Blue Mountains and hope to do take off in next 12 months for longer trips.
cheers Don

1 - 20 of 24 Posts