Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I’ve scoured through the forum listings and have not quite managed to find the answers I’m after, so hoping I may be able to get some guidance here.
We have a 2017 Touareg that is fitted with 20” wheels, not ideal for an outback trip. Now I was considering finding a set of 17-inch rims for our journey, with some discussions on this forum indicating that would be fine, be it that they would be very close to the brake calipers with minimal clearance. Looking at the tyre placard on the car, the smallest diameter listed is 18”. So that raises concerns. The other aspect is the TPMS. I assume that I would need to source TPM for these wheels to avoid lights flashing and flat tyre alarms popping up?
Appreciate any thoughts and advice.

Cheers;
John

·
Registered
2020 (MY21) V8 TDI Grey
46 Posts
Hi John,

This is a really good site for figuring out equivalent circumferences and converting wheel sizes to metric units (useful for figuring out rotor clearance): Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

Not sure which model you have but the rotor/caliper will be your limiting factor. Mine has 6-pot calipers and 400mm rotors and I'm pretty sure I could go no smaller than 19's... with 5-10mm to spare inside the wheel. Measure the gap between the closest thing to the wheel (which will be the caliper) and the inside of the wheel itself... that'll give you a clue of how much radius you can spare.

Re TPMS, I've read of a few people buying sensors from ebay (check the frequency, I believe VW changed the frequency at some point). If they work the TPMS will pick them up automatically.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
17s should fit (Generation 2 V8 Tdi being the exception as Singh says below) and give you an extra 1.5 inches of sidewall over the 20s if you stick to the same overall diameter of 29 inches, but 18s will still be good with an extra inch of sidewall.

I understand that down-under the police, inspection stations and insurers can give you a hard time if your wheel and tyre's overall diameter is oversize by more than a certain percentage. However it would be worth thinking about increasing the OD to get more tyre wall if you can.

Just remember you need 5x130 PCD so wheels off an R5 Touareg will not fit as they are 5x120 PCD, and wheels from the latest Generation 3 T5 Touareg won't fit either as they are 5x112 PCD.

·
Learner
5,473 Posts
Well, I’ve scoured through the forum listings and have not quite managed to find the answers I’m after, so hoping I may be able to get some guidance here.
We have a 2017 Touareg that is fitted with 20” wheels, not ideal for an outback trip. Now I was considering finding a set of 17-inch rims for our journey, with some discussions on this forum indicating that would be fine, be it that they would be very close to the brake calipers with minimal clearance. Looking at the tyre placard on the car, the smallest diameter listed is 18”. So that raises concerns. The other aspect is the TPMS. I assume that I would need to source TPM for these wheels to avoid lights flashing and flat tyre alarms popping up?

Cheers;
John
If you have a 2017 Touareg, I am assuming a V6 TDI, then lowest is 17s for you, if V8 then 18s would the smallest you could go.
There are plenty of original VW 18 inch wheels available online for a decent price, and plenty of tyre options in that size.

As for tpms, if the vehicle doesn't detect the signal from the wheels then it switches off, you will not get any alarms.
Remove the sensors from your 20s and use them on your smaller rims or buy a set from VW or eBay.
Please list the vehicle you have in your signature so members can help accordingly.
Good luck John!

·
Registered
75 Posts
2017 3.6 V6 here. If you have a gasser, 17s will fit. My winters are on 17s, no clearance issues.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Its going to matter what the exact dimensions of the 17s are - OEM 17s should fit, there are aftermarket that may not fit due to brake clearance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your input all. Just did some measurements b/w the brake calipers and current 20” wheels. I guess 17’s will fit, per the advice given here, but very close. Just need to investigate what is permitted, as although the handbook references wheels from 17” through 21” the car placard only goes down to 18” fitting.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought a stock set of 17s for my winter tires. The shop used a thicker weight and they barely cleared the caliper. Just another thing to keep in mind if you go with 17s. I think there are plenty of tire choices in that size. I have been lightly researching AT tires for my next summer set. I'll ask my shop if they have thinner weights and if not, to use weights I get.

For TPMS, I just bought a set from ebay that were the correct frequency.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The batteries in the TPMS do draw down with age. With ~5 years on yours would replace them with OEM. We purchased OEM Huf Intellisens TPMS Sensor UVC0811VAG - Audi, Bentley, Lamborghini, Porsche, Volkswagen. Ordered from [email protected]. You can get them from ebay and others but risk them not working, then you have the cost of another set and breaking down the tires to replace.
Recommend checking what wheels were available from VW when yours was new. Driving off-road has issues pavement does not. You might have no issues in town but off-road rocks, dirt, etc will be issues.
Our 2013 diesel runs with 255/55/18s and BFG KO2s for the past 8 years and 113k miles, principally off-road. Have been from the hot Chihuahuan desert and twice up to the frozen Arctic Ocean. We purchased two additional sets of 18s from locals who wanted to go larger. This way we have a set of six for three season and another for winter with studded Nokian Hakka's. Off-road we bring two full size spares, the donut is of no use. Also recommend getting a self healing PPF wrap - ours still works well especially for pin-striping!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Nice to see you around here again - see you all over club p but haven't seen you on here in forever

Reactions: 2013 TDI

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice to see you around here again - see you all over club p but haven't seen you on here in forever
Thanks,
We spend most of the time out doing things. Leaving for two weeks to explore off-grid the Owyhee, below photo by Devin Dahlgren. March 2020, just prior to quarantine, we again visited the winter Arctic. This time to walk on the frozen Arctic Ocean at Tuktoyaktuk then went ice racing on the Yukon River at Dawson City as part of a 5,120 mile rally.
Here is the link to our build with info on some of what we do:

dry-creek-owyhee Photo by Devin Dahlgren.jpg

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I'm very familiar w/ your extensive travels but I'm sure many on here would love to have a read.

I have a buddy in Oregon - he takes the most wonderful nature pictures I've ever seen.

Have a blast and keep us posted!

Reactions: 2013 TDI

·
Registered
3 Posts

Cheers;
John
I have a 2016 R-line V8. It came with 21” wheels with Pirellis, and for the last two years we have dragged a 3 ton van around the outback, including the Tanami Track. We have had to be very careful with these tyres in these conditions, and carry a full sized spare. Problem is, it is impossible to replace such damaged tyres if you are far from a major city. So I went to Speedy Wheels and was measured for 18” wheels to suit the R-line. I now have new wheels and Cooper rubber - it is a great change and rides much better. Can’t wait to start our next road challenge - east coast to west coast directly cross country from Noosa to Exmouth via Uluru/ Alice Springs. We’ve been to Cape York and the southern most point of Tasmania, so thought we should try the horizontal route.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2016 R-line V8. It came with 21” wheels with Pirellis, and for the last two years we have dragged a 3 ton van around the outback, including the Tanami Track. We have had to be very careful with these tyres in these conditions, and carry a full sized spare. Problem is, it is impossible to replace such damaged tyres if you are far from a major city. So I went to Speedy Wheels and was measured for 18” wheels to suit the R-line. I now have new wheels and Cooper rubber - it is a great change and rides much better. Can’t wait to start our next road challenge - east coast to west coast directly cross country from Noosa to Exmouth via Uluru/ Alice Springs. We’ve been to Cape York and the southern most point of Tasmania, so thought we should try the horizontal route.
Hi Steve: what model cooper tyres did you get?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm, sounds like 18’s may be the better option. Just a matter of finding a set, at a reasonable price and fit a set of coopers, I think. Always ran Coopers on my previous Landcruiser and they were brilliant.

Your trip sounds great! Enjoy.

·
Registered
2017 Wolfsburg 3.0 TDI
15 Posts
Hmm, sounds like 18’s may be the better option. Just a matter of finding a set, at a reasonable price and fit a set of coopers, I think. Always ran Coopers on my previous Landcruiser and they were brilliant.

Your trip sounds great! Enjoy.
Hi John, I picked up a set of 18' Cayenne wheels for my treg, same offset and stud pattern. Actually lucked out and got 5 rims with 6 Pirelli Scorpion ATR 255/60x18 tires with about 80% left on them from another Treg owner that had gone to the new CR. There are allot around on ebay, I think the 18" rims give you more choice in tires too. Best of luck,
Pete

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had Pirelli Scorpion ATR's and they did well on some mud/ mild trails. Right now, I'm thinking of getting the Continental TerrainContact A/T from 4wheelonline because I only do moderate off-roading.

·
Registered
05 Ford CC 4X4 Powerstroke, 17 VW Touareg Wolfsburg
2 Posts
I've measured up and am looking to use Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 in 275/60R18. They are 31.1" tall, section width of 10.9" and tread width of 8.4", I'm going to use an 18X8 wheel with a 52mm offset.
Is anyone familiar with this size on a newer (17) Tourareg?
Yokohama was a sponsor of a Trophy Truck team I ran so I'm not looking for tire recommendations or oil brands, all of which have started wars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts