Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
Just joined up today - based in Wonga Park - an outer east suburb of Melbourne so currently in lockdown :-(

I currently have an imported 1997 Prado which I have owned for 23 years - been a fantastic car with amazing reliability - never let me down once. However it is limited to 2500 kg for towing and I am wanting to upgrade from my 2000 kg off road camper trailer to a small off-raid caravan with around 2750 kg ATM, so have been researching Touaregs as the most likely replacement - potentially 2015/2016 V6TDI. But I have some concerns about setting up the vehicle for off road towing (not rock climbing - but extensive dirt road travelling with corrugations etc) such as:
1. Protection from roo impact;
2. Mounting cb radio and antena;
3. Fitting out behind rear seats with drawers and fridge slides;
4. Second battery installation so that I have a dedicated starter battery and an accessories battery;
5. Changing the standard 20" wheels to preferably 18" wheels with good AT tyres

I would love to communicate with someone who has gone down this road already with a treg and gain from your experience - I am finding this a lot tougher to find the right equipment and suppliers/installers compared to the same work I have done on my Prado. Doing the research first before I take the plunge and buy the Treg! Cheers, Dan

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
plenty on here if you use the search tool / function. What you will most likely find out that there is not much around off the shelf so that leaves custom work.

The demand for this vehicle in Oz and generally around the world for off road use did not give enough command for producers to make anything reasonable for them to make big enough profits

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Odessa - yes I was pretty much aware of the total lack of off the shelf stuff - hence my approach to this forum to tap into some good ideas for custom work as you put it. I will also try more with the search tool function as well. Cheers, Dan
PS: Am I correct in reading you carry a full size spare and also have a light bar and winch fitted?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
check out the thread big bad mud tyres .... old but good

·
Registered
2014 V6 TDI 180kW with Interior Comfort Package and Sunroof
55 Posts
Another option is a guy Aaron Leakey. He is in Sydney but making some custom parts for Toureg/Cayenne. Search him here on the forum. I had a look at aerial mounts and his looked really well made. Also does winch mount/install and other stuff too.

Reactions: Steve_L

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Another option is a guy Aaron Leakey. He is in Sydney but making some custom parts for Toureg/Cayenne. Search him here on the forum. I had a look at aerial mounts and his looked really well made. Also does winch mount/install and other stuff too.
Yeah good point should have mentioned that as i have a postit not on my desk to contact Aaron :rolleyes:

It appears he can also (as a fabricator) analyse and suggest on visual analysis stuff to a certain extent also but have not had a chance to meet and great yet

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks Autodas - will follow that up :)
Dan.
I have just put an extra battery in the back of mine in a separate battery box. I was getting electric brakes put in for a caravan and an Anderson plug for the van fridge. Decided to go whole hog and had a BCDC charger installed in the side of the spare wheel well with an Anderson on a 1 metre lead and a solar input plug to charger for attaching a solar panel outside the car. I bought a cheap battery box(bad move) with merit and cig plug outlets and had an Anderson plug put on that for input charge, The battery can also be used to jump start if I have a flat main battery.
I also plan to get a piece of MDF to replace the removable rear cargo fIoor and bolt a 900mm drawer from Kings to it with my old Engel on top. Battery box will get bolted to this as well. Will look for a full size spare to stand up in the back as well.
It wasn't a cheap exercise but as its my work car I can justify the expense. Will post some photos when I get around to taking some.
Cheers Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan.
I have just put an extra battery in the back of mine in a separate battery box. I was getting electric brakes put in for a caravan and an Anderson plug for the van fridge. Decided to go whole hog and had a BCDC charger installed in the side of the spare wheel well with an Anderson on a 1 metre lead and a solar input plug to charger for attaching a solar panel outside the car. I bought a cheap battery box(bad move) with merit and cig plug outlets and had an Anderson plug put on that for input charge, The battery can also be used to jump start if I have a flat main battery.
I also plan to get a piece of MDF to replace the removable rear cargo fIoor and bolt a 900mm drawer from Kings to it with my old Engel on top. Battery box will get bolted to this as well. Will look for a full size spare to stand up in the back as well.
It wasn't a cheap exercise but as its my work car I can justify the expense. Will post some photos when I get around to taking some.
Cheers Tim
Thanks Tim - very useful info to help me plan any mods should I get a Touareg eventually - this lockdown is driving me up the wall as I can't do anything about selling my current car or exploring Touareg options available. Cheers, Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been investigating off-road options for paint protection. Found this company and they have told me that early next year they will be producing options for the Touareg:

W: www.bushbarrier.com.au P: 1300 60 60 70
E: [email protected]

Look on YouTube for some reviews of the product. Seems like an option to protect paintwork if going off-road.

·
Registered
55 Posts
OK. Got some piccys of rear cargo area.
I got a piece of 16mm MDF and cut to shape and glued marine carpet on. Cut a few bits out the sides for cables to exit and a hand hole to lift it.

Also have some photos of BCDC charger and leads

The solar lead is unregulated as it goes into the BCDC charger and the AUX is both 12V input and output
And one of the battery box connected.

The red and black bits on either side are pos and neg posts to attach leads to. Next to the pos post is the merit plug outlet and next to neg post is cig plug outlet.
Not going to bolt battery down yet until I get a drawer and then work out where each bit will go. Once I have the drawer in, the jack, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, wheel chocks etc will go in there and a full size spare will stand up alongside toolbox so I shouldn't need to go under the floor(hopefully).

·
Registered
248 Posts
OK. Got some piccys of rear cargo area.
I got a piece of 16mm MDF and cut to shape and glued marine carpet on. Cut a few bits out the sides for cables to exit and a hand hole to lift it.
Also have some photos of BCDC charger and leads

Not going to bolt battery down yet until I get a drawer and then work out where each bit will go. Once I have the drawer in, the jack, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, wheel chocks etc will go in there and a full size spare will stand up alongside toolbox so I shouldn't need to go under the floor(hopefully).
Looking good.

For my setup, I removed the space saver and used that space for recovery gear, a proper offroad air compressor and spare parts for outback touring - I did not invest in a drawer system.

I retained original cargo area flooring, but did (sacrilegiously) cut it longitudinally so that RH 2/3 of floor could still be lifted without affecting stand-up spare wheel. Had to fit some underfloor aluminium bracing to stop floor sagging. In hindsight, I should have used marine ply with marine carpet - like your setup.

Likewise have anderson plug for second battery plus external mounted anderson plug for towing. I have DC-DC charger (with anderson plugged leads) velcroed to top of LH wheel arch recess. I left my second battery as removable - placed up against backrest and secured with an occy strap between shopping bag hooks - never had any real problem with battery shifting.

Be alert to tightness of fit for standing up a full-size spare wheel. My original full size spare had 245/65R17 tyre and fitted snugly with rear seat set to maximum rearwards. When I changed tyres to 265/65R17, the extra OD required the lefthand rear seat to be moved forward a couple of cm. Also be alert to the potential for spare wheel tyre to rub against C pillar - I learned that lesson the hard way when my DIY protection between tyre and C pillar came away.

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
276 Posts
Give you guys a hot tip. Invert your space saver spare wheel and stick a trimmed down plastic tub (about $5 from bunnings) in there. I have now stored my straps, sand pegs, locks, few little recovery items in there now, but also provides wet storage should it be needed on a temporary basis. Has been one of the better mods that I have done, and really just cost me a shortened bolt to hold it all down. You can see the original bolt in the tub.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
bloody genius ..... now get rid of the Ford hat and lets figure out something better than these PIA space saver spare wheels

·
Registered
19 Posts
Give you guys a hot tip. Invert your space saver spare wheel and stick a trimmed down plastic tub (about $5 from bunnings) in there. I have now stored my straps, sand pegs, locks, few little recovery items in there now, but also provides wet storage should it be needed on a temporary basis. Has been one of the better mods that I have done, and really just cost me a shortened bolt to hold it all down. You can see the original bolt in the tub.
View attachment 240509
Brilliant idea Snerlo. Just wondered about the bolt, does it really need bolted in?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts