Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I thought that there are some people here at ClubTouareg that have not seen this).

Slideshow: http://www.avalonsystems.net/g...quito
Stand alone Pics: http://www.avalonsystems.net/g...quito

Today we tackled two Passes with four and three Touaregs, respectively. I met DenverBill and TREGinginCO at 8 am and we drove up to Hapster’s place in Breckenridge. Bill demonstrated his rear fog light that he wired. Very nice looking when it's on. Found out from Bill that this trip was going to be the second time he had ever used low-range, as the previous time he went off-road, it did really require the lower gearing. That sounds like a wager to me! I won’t go off-road if I can’t put it in low range.

We started by leaving Breckenridge and heading up French Gulch and caught a trail that pushed us over to the North Fork of the Swan River. From there, the trail up to Georgia Pass begins. The trail was very dusty, and moderately bumpy and slow going. Not very difficult, but a couple of steep and loose area with minimal trail width. Bill had his 19” Pirelli tires on, but he did pretty good as long as he kept his speed up.

The pass came up pretty quickly at a relatively low 11,585 ft. The east side of Georgia Pass is very easy and only took about 20 minutes to get back to pavement. From there we headed to Fairplay for lunch. DenverBill took the wheel of Hapsters Touareg (and vice versa) to get a second opinion on Hap’s 70 MPH vibration issues.

After lunch, Bill headed back to Denver to attend a few pre-Grand Prix festivities. The rest of us headed up to Mosquito Pass to try and get to the top before the weather soured on us (never did). Again, everything was so dusty.
If you remember, I headed up Mosquito Pass lass year, a mere 10 days after buying my Touareg.
My Mosquito Pass trip last year

The foul weather has taken its toll on the upper parts of the pass. There were several holes, ranging from six inches to over a foot deep. They were usually staggered so you would have two wheels off of the ground as you went through it. Add in the rock factor, and the fact the you were mere inches away from falling off of the edge, it was a little hair raising. It was also DAMN fun! Hap got hung up on a rock that his front wheel didn’t want to go over. He backed up and gave it a little gas and popped out of the hole in a spectacular way (TREGinginCO is right behind him):

(While we were waiting for our turn to head up the pass, it started SNOWING on us. I kid you not.)

There was an area higher up that even a modified jeep was having a little trouble getting though. Slowly, and with MUCH protest from the diff, ABS and traction control (which never really turns off in ANY mode, BTW) we teetered our way up.

We got up to the top easily enough. Stopped along the way to let Abita play in the snow. The altitude at the top is 13,200" and is the highest drivable pass in North America. The faster way back to Denver was to head back the way we came. I’m not sure what was harder, going UP through the holes and rocks, or going back DOWN through them. It was sure more dangerous to go down though them, trying to keeping the Touareg from sliding out of control. I could never get hill decent to work reliably, and the compression braking from the V6 engine SUCKS at 12,800". Using brakes was the only real option, and that tends to induce slides if you are not careful.

Anyway, we made it down though the multiple holes without incident. We stopped at the old mill at the bottom and surveyed the river crossing I did recently. Someone had broken out the dam that was holding the 20” of water that was behind it last year. Still some nasty rim eating rocks on one approach, and a few oil pan and rocker panel eating rocks on the other. The others and myself were amazed that I made it though without major damage last time. :screwy:

All in all, it was a great trip, and we all had a great time! I hope that we can get others out and on the trail with us on future trips, before the deep snow hits soon.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Chris,

Thanks for coming up with this little trip. I had a blast and continue to be amazed by the abilities of the TOUAREG!!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
You guys rock!!! I need some vacation time to make it out to the Rocky Mountain area :drunk:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey Aircooled,
Did any of of the Tregs have steel suspension? It would have been cool to see how Air compared to Steel

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
My TOUAREG (The reed green one) has the steel suspension.

Going up Mosquito Pass I didn't bottom out at all. Coming down the hill, I smacked some rocks on the steel part of the frame at the front... but I think that was because I was going a little too fast at that moment. It only happened twice and there was no damage done.

I was impressed with my steel sprung 'T'

·
Registered
208 Posts
We are planning on taking the trip from Breckenridge over the Tiger road to Georgia Pass and than to Jefferson and route 285 to 9 and back to Breck. All this in December, the question I have do you think this is possible at all? Will I need snow chains or AT tires will do?

Igor

·
Administrator
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry iceman, but the route that you are proposing will only be accessible by snowmobile or snowcat. The trails will not only be closed by forest service gates but will be under several feet of snow.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hmm, bummer. Is there anything open for "back country" driving in winter? I have a friend flying in from Europe to snowboard with me in December and I wanted to take a couple scenic trips around the Breckenridge...Do you by any chance have any advice?

·
Super Moderator
9,689 Posts
That would be the worst time of year to travel anywhere back country in the Treg. If you wanted to do so by way of snowmobile, then you could do it, but not by Treg.

·
Administrator
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, those links aren't going to work anytime soon. :(

·
Super Moderator
9,689 Posts
Even with snow chains on? Bummer... I wanted to show him the wilderness, but I guess we are going to stick to DT Breckenridge for 10 days...
Umm, no on the chains. You are not talking inches of snow, more like feet of snow at that point. Enough footage to bury your Treg until spring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.