Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my new 2011 Touareg Sport WITH factory/OEM hitch installed. I'm confused about the wiring, though, so I want to ask this before I go to the dealer and look like a tool... I looked under the bumper and there's a plate with some bolts that looks like it's where the plug for the trailer light SHOULD go, but it's not. Is it normal for the cover to be bolted on, or did they really not install it? It is supposed to be part of the trailer hitch, right?

·
Super Moderator
9,434 Posts
Nope, not there, you need to buy one and install it. Not difficult at all. Pollak makes one that works for about $13. I installed mine on my 2010. You remove the plate which reveals the plug for the light socket receptical.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so it's simply a matter of buying the receptacle and plugging it in... the wiring harness, per se, is already installed?

·
Super Moderator
9,434 Posts
Mitswerdna said:
OK, so it's simply a matter of buying the receptacle and plugging it in... the wiring harness, per se, is already installed?
Yep, just that easy! :) That is for the lights though, brake controller is a whole nother issue.

·
Registered
110 Posts
trailer wiring

So you are all saying the wiring is there but you need a adapter? Any pictures, mine will be here soon and I am planning on towing my boat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, wiring is there. Just take take out four the screws, remove the clip and temporary cover, attach the adapter, put the clip back on, and screw back on using the same screws. Here is somewhat poor picture before attaching the adapter.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,434 Posts
So you are all saying the wiring is there but you need a adapter? Any pictures, mine will be here soon and I am planning on towing my boat.
Wiring for lights is definitely there, but wiring for a brake controller has yet to be determined.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wiring for lights is definitely there, but wiring for a brake controller has yet to be determined.

please keep this up to date as possible. I am 100% in the market for a 2011 unit, but if it is going to be an impossible wiring process, that might cost VW the sale (will use for towing an aluminum enclosed race car trailer).

Many thanks for taking the time to post up your findings.

·
Super Moderator
9,434 Posts
please keep this up to date as possible. I am 100% in the market for a 2011 unit, but if it is going to be an impossible wiring process, that might cost VW the sale (will use for towing an aluminum enclosed race car trailer).

Many thanks for taking the time to post up your findings.
I doubt it is an impossible wiring process, just that they used to include the wiring for brake controller, but have been decontenting such things along the way. I would be surprised if it is included on the 2011, but I honestly don't know. Used to be stuffed up under the dash on the older ones with a piece of foam wrapped around it, but I have heard others say it is not there on some of the newer ones.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes and no, if the wiring is not there, the question will be how difficult it is to ensure the proper signal is making it to the trailer brakes. I am less worried about plugging in a trailer brake controller (as I think that this product is the best to resolve that issue for the Touaregs: Tekonsha Prodigy RF Brake Controller - Proportional - Trailer Mounted Tekonsha Brake Controller 90250) and I am more concerned that the receptical where the trailer plug attaches is providing the trailer with the proper signal (remember that trailer brakes are variable so the signal needs to be so as well, not binary)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Does anyone have a part number for the harness adapter the trailer plugs in to? I did a search for pollack but found a lot of different part numbers.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you live in the vacinity of Delaware I have an extra Pollak unit just taking up space.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I doubt it is an impossible wiring process, just that they used to include the wiring for brake controller, but have been decontenting such things along the way. I would be surprised if it is included on the 2011, but I honestly don't know. Used to be stuffed up under the dash on the older ones with a piece of foam wrapped around it, but I have heard others say it is not there on some of the newer ones.
The 2011 TDI does include the wiring harness for the brake controller, and it is exactly as you've described (stuffed up under the dash with a piece of foam wrapped around it. In my car, it was very difficult to find, plus the wire leads were only a few inches long, making it very difficult to find and to reach). The same VW adapter plus 2 wires, as has been described elsewhere in this forum for earlier models, also works just as has been described earlier.

I bought a Curt electric brake controller ($99 USD), connected it to the VW brake adapter and it works fine for hauling my 18' car hauler. :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 2011 TDI does include the wiring harness for the brake controller, and it is exactly as you've described (stuffed up under the dash with a piece of foam wrapped around it. In my car, it was very difficult to find, plus the wire leads were only a few inches long, making it very difficult to find and to reach). The same VW adapter plus 2 wires, as has been described elsewhere in this forum for earlier models, also works just as has been described earlier.

I bought a Curt electric brake controller ($99 USD), connected it to the VW brake adapter and it works fine for hauling my 18' car hauler. :cool:
For your 18' car hauler, does it also have LED's light? Just so, I understand, please, if I have a 2011 Touareg all I need is a Curt electric brake controller? Not a Prodigy RF?

Trying best understand how to hook up an auxiliary brake control for my Trailex with electric brakes and LED's. Seems what worked for 2010 and prior years are different for 2011 models. I've been back and forth to my dealer and they have no TSB telling them how to install, nor does the trailer company. Lots of finger pointing back to controller companies. Called Prodigy / Cequent and they weren't sure either what controller and plugs to recommend. TIA.

If you, or someone can provide specifics what is needed for installation, that would be great. TIA.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts