Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2205380...URNnEfeamIzfYQk0yq4GrWvBwJA5WKJdusaAk9J8P8HAQ

Anyone know if tow module and harness similar to the link above is available for the T1 &T2? The link above is for a T3. I thought I found my answer with part number 7L0055204 but that seems obsolete. I currently have a Curt hitch and the tow ready harness kit that tees into the rear tail lights. Now I want to tow a travel trailer so I want to keep the curt hitch, remove my old harness, and add the oem style wiring harness and tow module to gain the benefits of shift points etc. The kit above for the T3 runs about $300 so I'd be willing to spend similar for my 07 V8. Seems like the hitch itself is what hikes up the cost of the complete oem setup. Curt's 6000 lbs rating is enough for what I plan to tow with the Treg. Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
My OEM harness plugged into the green connector in the rear quarter panel. There was an existing red connector in the loom forward in the quarter panel that plugged into the controller box, and a group of 3 2-wire connectors that needed a new bridge. Very easy all-in-all, and integrated seamlessly.

The cool thing is that the MFD can indicate "left trailer brake light out" which is very cool indeed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone know if the tow module is the same for the cayenne? I have one that came off of a 2008 cayenne s and it has the part number 7L0907383G. Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anybody want to do the forum all a favor and draw a schematic of the wire harness? Including part numbers on the connectors for the tow module and hitch end? Please pretty please?!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
nice thanks. I guess those "-" actually make a difference!
I don't see the computer module in the linked photo. I do see the the receptacle into which you plug the trailer. I don't believe that is typically included with the factory harness. Try a salvage yard for the computer module. That's where I purchased my factory hitch, computer module and wiring harness.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tow Module

Anyone know if the tow module is the same for the cayenne? I have one that came off of a 2008 cayenne s and it has the part number 7L0907383G. Thanks
That is the correct part number. It is the same number as the module I installed yesterday that is working perfectly. The letter at the end of the number on mine in an "N", but I believe that last letter corresponds to when it was made, and possible upgraded in some way. The later the letter in the alphabet, the later the version of the part.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tow Hitch Wiring

Hi, does that green plug in the link plug into the rear passenger side green plug behind the cover in the trunk next to the cd changer? I'm new to touaregs and I'm looking to tow a small trailer with it. It has a factory hitch but no wiring.
Yes, one of the three plugs on the factory tow wiring harness is green and mates with the green plug in your photo. The other rectangular connector plugs into the computer tow module (7L0 907 383 N), and the larger round third connector mates with the trailer plug receptacle (7L0 055 305N) at the hitch. Yesterday I installed the factory tow hitch, harness and control module that I bought at a salvage yard. You might find what you need at your local salvage yard.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I'm trying to procure a harness from eBay and salvage yards. Been a couple weeks now...easier said than done. I got the G version of the module for the controller and a curt towbar already just need the harness. The harness/controller (N) will run me $280 ish so I'm getting pretty impatient and may just go that route. But that's a lot for a harness! And at $280, I'm getting tempted to just spend 770ish to get the whole kit to get me the full 7700 lb pull rating. What to do what to do?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just as a data point, I recently paid $400 for a full kit (factory hitch, full harness & ECU) from a local wrecker. You should be able to get the harness for less than $280 used (but patience might be needed).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yea I'm trying to procure a harness from eBay and salvage yards. Been a couple weeks now...easier said than done. I got the G version of the module for the controller and a curt towbar already just need the harness. The harness/controller (N) will run me $280 ish so I'm getting pretty impatient and may just go that route. But that's a lot for a harness! And at $280, I'm getting tempted to just spend 770ish to get the whole kit to get me the full 7700 lb pull rating. What to do what to do?
I don't know if it would make a difference, but you might start off asking the salvage yard if they have a Touareg with the factory tow hitch. If they do, then the harness and module will be there, too. The German Car specialty salvage yard I called didn't know about the tow module until I told them about it, nor did they know that the harness is separate from the main chassis harness. I negotiated the price over the phone ($300 cash), then drove there, walked out to the 2010 model they had (the last year with the same module), pointed to the interior quarter panel where the module is hidden, described the harness' run, first to the taillight area and the green plug, and then down to the hitch. I had to keep assuring them that the harness was a separate piece. They put a man on removing those three things, and 20 minutes later I left with them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just as a data point, I recently paid $400 for a full kit (factory hitch, full harness & ECU) from a local wrecker. You should be able to get the harness for less than $280 used (but patience might be needed).
X2 . That's exactly what I did. I paid $300, but the point is that the factory hitch set-ups are out there for the finding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts