Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I honestly don't know what you call this... It's like the sticker that was on the windshield at the time of manufacturing left a relatively permanant mark on the inside of the glass.

It's only noticeable when the window fogs up and apparently there is enough of a difference today for it to be more visible than I've ever seen it before.

I've cleaned the windshield a number of times using Stoner's Automotive Window Glass. I've had it detailed as well.

Again - I don't notice it every day - just a few times a year. Any way to get rid of it that anyone can think of?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Try acetone to clean the glass, the wife's or girlfriend's nail polish remover is just perfumed acetone.

Rgds

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
That's amazing - in some ways - and a bloody nuisance in others!

Hope you can find a fix.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Try scraping a small spot (carefully) with a new single-edge razor blade and see if any residue comes off.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
A little squirt of WD40 on a paper towel --- wipe the area then hit it with a good glass cleaner. BAM..... problem solved!

·
Administrator
4,330 Posts
Maybe hit it with a clay bar like you would for paint. Also rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Clean with toothpaste (paste, not gel). Mild abrasive that will not scratch the glass. Scuba divers use it to clean face mask glass.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Bon Ami cleanser is what the techs used at Trico test lab. No scratch no residue.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try acetone to clean the glass, the wife's or girlfriend's nail polish remover is just perfumed acetone.

Rgds
Not a bad idea... I'm probably going to reach out to Saint-Gobain Sekurit (OEM Glass Manufacturer) to find out if they have any special coatings on the glass before I use acetone. I'm going to keep this as a last resort.

That's amazing - in some ways - and a bloody nuisance in others!

Hope you can find a fix.
Agreed, noobytoogy. I actually wish I could read more of what it says before I figure out how to get rid of it. I can make out "V6" and a barcode along with the fact that it's that continuous paper used in dot-matrix printers (didn't know those were even used anymore but I guess so). As I said, thankfully it only appears a few times a year.

Try scraping a small spot (carefully) with a new single-edge razor blade and see if any residue comes off.
I don't think there is anything to scrape, Oregon FSI. That said, I'll give it a shot assuming there are no glass interior coatings.

A little squirt of WD40 on a paper towel --- wipe the area then hit it with a good glass cleaner. BAM..... problem solved!
Not a bad idea at all. Not sure how abrasive WD40 is - I may add this to my list of solutions after speaking with SGS.

Maybe hit it with a clay bar like you would for paint. Also rubbing alcohol.
Thanks for the ideas, Aircooled.

Clean with toothpaste (paste, not gel). Mild abrasive that will not scratch the glass. Scuba divers use it to clean face mask glass.
Bon Ami cleanser is what the techs used at Trico test lab. No scratch no residue.
BeemerMike - this is probably the one I'm going to try first. Will follow it up with Mike's Panzer's idea of Bon Ami. Didn't think of either of those but they may be the most gentle so far.

If you have full glass coverage, just have insurance get you a new windshield...
Thanks, Grifnsqest. Personally my absolute last resort. I'd rather them not replace it if they don't have to. That said, I'm very much still under factory warranty - If I have to, I'll check with VW first... you never know.

Thanks all for the ideas! I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
That's a pretty comprehensive reply! Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
No acetone on the inside...until you can confirm there isn't a film or plastic backing on the interior side. Some wind screens have a laminate that is used on the back. I am a big fan of acetone, but would be hesitant to apply here for this reason and the fact you want zero dripping or residue to get on your dash.

It appears the product on the wind screen is a base (chemistry) and that other base oriented cleaners (ammonia) are not neutralizing it. Look for citrus based cleaners that would safely work to neutralize a base (like simple green for example...which is citrus based). Whatever you use be sure it is safe to use prior to spraying your interior window down.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I would go back to the dealer and ask them if they know how to remove it.

might also stop them from doing the same to another car?

unless its a poltergeist, then you are in trouble...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts