Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2016 TDI needs new tires at 40k... is this the normal life span of it?
*we are just changing 2 because we had to change a pair around 30k because it had a puncture near the wall*
But the dealer suggested that 2 stock OEM’s needed to be changed when we had the 40k service done...

·
Registered
996 Posts
All 4 tires need to be within 2mm in diameter of each other and the same brand and model. It is surprising that the dealer would change only 2, as this could cause expensive transmission problems.

As for tread life, I'm assuming you are in the USA and are talking about miles. Remember this is a global forum. Therefore, 40,000 miles is not much. But there are a lot of factors affecting tread life, such as driving style and driving conditions.

I suggest you search the forum for other tire tread life posts. I know this has been discussed a ton in the past.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Everyone drives differently and on different makes of tire so there's no "standard" tire life.

I bin tires at 50% worn as the wet weather performance and braking capability falls off a cliff after that so anything over 30K is good in my book.

You MUST ALWAYS have 4 IDENTICAL tires on a Touareg to avoid damaging the transmission due to mis-matched tires causing transmission wind-up.

That's same make, same model, same size, same tread pattern and same tread depths to within 2/32ths or 2mm on the same axle and and within 3/32ths or 3mm between front and rear axles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, so Goodyear LS it is then...

The dealer only suggested 2 because our other 2 LS tires are fairly new because we had a puncture around 30k...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Do double check the tread depths to stay in the limits as above.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you drive the car nicely, they can last a long, long time / miles.

I had to turn in a 2012 Touareg TDI Sport for dieselgate with 49k miles on it. Tread was still at 6/32". I believe that if they were driven the same way, 80k + miles would have been possible and still have more than the legal 2/32 replacement limit. But I rarely drive in snow, or heavy rain. YMMV, but if you drive it nice, long miles, polished concrete on interstates and freeways, and don't accelerate or jam on the brakes hard or aggressively, they can go a lot of miles.

Watch your air pressure, I always ran mine 37 psi in the front and 42 psi in the rear. IMHO, the slightly higher air pressure helps the mpg's and miles on the tire's life, by a good margin.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If you got 40K out of the LS2 you did good.

I got about 26,000 and might have gotten 30K, at the MOST. I thought the tires were ok but for what they wanted for them new, they are the most expensive tires on the market in the 275 45 20.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ours is 255/55/18
The goodyear LS at just tires are cheaper than the Michelin latitudes at costco...

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you got 40K out of the LS2 you did good.

I got about 26,000 and might have gotten 30K, at the MOST. I thought the tires were ok but for what they wanted for them new, they are the most expensive tires on the market in the 275 45 20.

Almost any 20" tire on a T3 Touareg, as found on the Executive, is going to be a 20 to 30k mile tire, at most. Soft rubber, high performance.

The 19" versions on the LUX are a little bit better.

The 18" tires on the Sport in the USA, are the versions that get the most amount of miles per tire. I believe they are 18-255-55 109XL for the specs. That 109XL is an important specification for the Touareg, don't cut corners and buy 105XL tires.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Almost any 20" tire on a T3 Touareg, as found on the Executive, is going to be a 20 to 30k mile tire, at most. Soft rubber, high performance.

The 19" versions on the LUX are a little bit better.

The 18" tires on the Sport in the USA, are the versions that get the most amount of miles per tire. I believe they are 18-255-55 109XL for the specs. That 109XL is an important specification for the Touareg, don't cut corners and buy 105XL tires.
I totally agree with this.

I went through 2 sets of tires in 40,000 miles on my 2012 Touareg Exec with 20". Wife is on her second set of tires after the stock LS2 and we both have Scorpion Verde Plus A/S on our trucks. I have the same tires on my 2016 Cayenne Diesel along with the 20" Pikes Peak wheels that were on my Touareg, I bolted the wheels/tires right up to my Cayenne.

She will need new tires, probably at the end of this winter or sometime in the summer as they are starting to wear.

I don't mind too much having to get new tires every 20,000-30,000 miles. It is part of the game.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I replaced the LS2s on my old '15 Lux at 35K. They were at 3/32, and while they had terrific dry and wet performance, they turned the T-reg into a high-speed barge on standing water- the hydroplaning was very dangerous. I switched to Continental TerrainContact A/T 255/55/19 and have been very happy.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I hope everyone realized that you need to pick the tires you run based on your desired priorities and intended use!
You can't have everything... so if you want the best dry grip because you think your massive SUV needs to overtake everyone else through a curve, that same tire won't give you the longest life span in terms of wear......

That being said, tires are a UTQG rating... the higher this number, the longer they will last.....
I personally run Pirelli Scorpion Verde on my '14 which are rated at 600
The LS-2s you guys are discussing above, are only rated at 400.... hence, assuming the same driving habits and conditions, my tires will outlast yours.

Obviously, it's not that simple, and there are many, many factors, but this gives you a quick idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
I run snows in the winter so put about 60% on my OEMs during the warmer months. I'm at 65,000 miles and they must be replaced before next season. That's about 39,000 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have a 2014 Touareg with Pirelli Scorpion Verde on 20” wheels. I’m at 49,000 miles and have 4/32 tread left. Tires have worn very evenly and have not gotten noisy. Very impressed and will definitely buy again.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I also have a 2014 Touareg with Pirelli Scorpion Verde on 20” wheels. I’m at 49,000 miles and have 4/32 tread left. Tires have worn very evenly and have not gotten noisy. Very impressed and will definitely buy again.
That's good wear for such a heavy vehicle

·
Registered
242 Posts
That's good wear for such a heavy vehicle
How hard you accelerate, decelerate and corner have a much larger effect on miles out of a set of tires, than you'd believe. Most of the members here are care enthusiasts, and, shall we say, drive enthusiastically. All the parts wear, accordingly. Drive nice or gentle, stuff lasts... play hard and thrash, and stuff wears out quickly on all German cars.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Getting Michelin Latitude Tour HP's installed today. The Goodyear LS 2's, though not worn out, don't have a lot of tread left. I probably could have made it to this fall but I got such a great deal on the Michelin's I decided to go ahead and do it now. I don't think I would have gotten much more than 30K miles on them (at 23K right now). Have had good luck with Michelin's over the years (had almost 80K on a set that were on my old Tahoe). Fingers crossed that they last for a while.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Getting Michelin Latitude Tour HP's installed today. The Goodyear LS 2's, though not worn out, don't have a lot of tread left. I probably could have made it to this fall but I got such a great deal on the Michelin's I decided to go ahead and do it now. I don't think I would have gotten much more than 30K miles on them (at 23K right now). Have had good luck with Michelin's over the years (had almost 80K on a set that were on my old Tahoe). Fingers crossed that they last for a while.
Treadwear rating is 10% better on the Michelins vs your old Goodyears, so expect a similar lifespan.
The Scorpions mentioned above have a 50% better rating in caparison.... but you get what you pay for......

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had 19" Goodyear as OEM on my 2013 Treg TDI, horrible tire, got to 45K and they were shot, switched to Michelin Latitude tour HP...... have 40K on the Michelins now and they are only 50% worn......... get rid of Goodyear
on the Michelin

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had 19" Goodyear as OEM on my 2013 Treg TDI, horrible tire, got to 45K and they were shot, switched to Michelin Latitude tour HP...... have 40K on the Michelins now and they are only 50% worn......... get rid of Goodyear
on the Michelin

Have had the Latitude HP's for a week now and I am really pleased with them. A lot more quite than the LS2's, ride smoothly, tracks like it's on rails. I'm not an aggressive driver so I'm hoping that like you I can get a good number of miles from them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts