Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Own a 2010 V10 R50.
Would like to check codes and do maintenance updates and resets. Which code reader would you recommend that will give me the codes and enable me to reset as needed. Even oil change reset.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
670 Posts
I have VCDS and OBDeleven Pro. The latter is nice because it's very portable and I don't believe it has a VIN limit, but I don't think it supplies security codes for modules like VCDS does. At least as of the last time I used it.
I would recommend VCDS with a dedicated laptop/tablet for the program.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Vagcom all day long. He's spent a LOT of years refining it and it's excellent

·
Registered
951 Posts
Vagcom. He's a privately owned shop and has been developing vagcom for years. Hands down the most powerful tool you can buy for a Volkswagen, more so than the dealers.

Yes I use it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankyou for your quick response. It sounds great.
I just bought a 2010 V10 R50 and just want to get all the maintenance done and upto date and check codes and reset oil change etc.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi Redline, I am in West Aus and bought an R50 last November. I soon after bought myself an OBDeleven (on cost based rationale at the time) fully cognisant that VCDS (vagcom) is a better unit with greater capability. For the moment OBDeleven does code checking and service reset and quite a number of other things as well with expanding capability (for iOS users) but broader capability with Android currently. From what you have said above about what you want to do, OBDeleven will do all you ask, but VCDS is much more capable.

Upload some photos of your R50, be interested to see it.

Pete.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info mate.
Were did you buy your OBDEleven from?
I will get some photos done and get them uploaded in the next couple of days.
Love driving the car, great response in the 100 to 140km zone.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just go straight to their website (Obdeleven.com) and ordering there is easy. I got the "professional diagnostic tool".

Please read how it works. When I ordered I read about it and was aware that doing operations (like service reset) on your car uses a credit system. 10 credits for any operation mostly. When I ordered I got 1000 credit points thrown in, so I'm covered for years but I have 3 VW in my house but still well covered. Each time you open the app you get a credit point to you, open it daily for ten days you get ten points back. Or you can buy credits I think fairly cheaply.

Just to be transparent about what you may be getting in for.

It is a nice easy interface and has been stable for me using iOS.

Was reading real time exhaust gas temperatures during recent drive back from shark Bay towing caravan.

Will upload pic if I find it. Channel 33 - Data point 2 (mid of screen) is the EGT.

Pete.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mate I like that what a great idea keeping an eye on things.
My Nissan TD42 runs way hotter than this going up hills I see 500Deg.
I have a check engine light coming on at the moment about every 300km and I don't know why. it resets if I turn the engine off and on again but want to get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes, the screen snap there was an EGT reading at just above idle driving out of the caravan park. When I was towing the caravan it hovered around 400-440C at 95 km/hr.

Pete.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Crispy 3
Pete what features can you monitor whilst driving?
i am interested in transmission temp whilst towing in various gears

thanks Fred K

·
Registered
350 Posts
Crispy 3
Pete what features can you monitor whilst driving?
i am interested in transmission temp whilst towing in various gears

thanks Fred K
Hi Fred, well I was looking for that one too with my OBDeleven and with the iOS interface I can't look into the transmission module yet (having said that I am able to interrogate the DSG of my 2011 Golf TDi to see temp which is necessary when setting fluid level after a DSG oil change). Autoinstruct (the webname behind the development of OBDeleven) is further developing roll out of modules data over the iOS app but it's not all the way there yet. I think that with an Android device with OBDeleven this may be possible. Perhaps others can chip in here.

Certainly with VCDS I believe any of the possible variables across all modules on the car, provided you know the channel for the data point, you will be able to view anything going on.

If you want to see any/all variables data right now, then go for VCDS but you will still need to know how to locate what you're after. The good folks on this forum could provide more specific details I am sure.

Pete.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks Pete

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
564 Posts
I use a Schwaben professional VAG scanner by Foxwell. Has a lot of great features similar to vcds but no computer required. Just plug in. Made specifically for VWs. Can see live data like oxy sensors, reset codes, change functions. Not quite as sophisticated as vcds but can pretty much see as much for example determined extent of timing chain stretch reported as car is running. In my case reading of the cam banks should be between -8kw & +8kw. Was varying between -4kw & -6kw. Scanner has a VAG function and OBD function. Mines a little old and only does up to 2015 models OBD1 & OBD2 vehicles. All vws up to 2015 can be selected. I have mine set for vehicle of record. Displays freeze frame data, live graphing, can test components, adapt components. Provides access to power train, chassis and body systems. Deactivate brakes, etc. The TFT color screen is little small and difficult to see in bright light but still ok. I plug in and just drape over steering wheel. Think I paid $238.

·
Registered
753 Posts
A not too dissimilar price to VCDS but not needing a laptop is a big bonus.

I see there is a 20% discount at the moment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts