Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2007 V6
My car has been in and out of the shop (beginning not to trust this mechanic) since July 15, same codes keep showing up. I have spent $$$ and the same codes keep showing up. I refuse to go to the dealer, even more$$$$$$ I want to walk in prepared with information Would like to purchase an OBD reader for a Touareg Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Also, any insight to a good diagnostic reader app for an android?? Thank you for ANY feedback.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I use this......Vgate Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD2 OBDII Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID

I bought it on Amazon and I use the TORQUE app on my phone. I like it for seeing codes, clearing them and it will email you the codes, check the web for explanation of codes, etc. It does a lot more than I even use.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If you understand and are safe to use such a tool, do yourself a big favour and buy VCDS from Ross-Tech.

Ross-Tech: Home

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
X2. VCDS will also read/ display OBDII information. And SO MUCH more. It will make OBD II codes look like Kindergarten reading. LOL!

Like noobytoogy said, it is important to UNDERSTAND what you can and can not (and should not!) do with VCDS. But unless you're a complete moron, it's pretty safe. :- )

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
No, not a good idea: some people really shouldn't be allowed anywhere near that software!

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Generic obd codes only tell you about emissions system issues. Vcds takes advantage of all the electronic diagnostics built into the vehicle with 98% of the codes not related to typical obd emissions issues.

In my experience it pays for itself many times over.

·
Super Moderator
9,562 Posts
VCDS is the only way to go in my opinion. You have a shop quality scan tool at a fraction of the cost of the shop tools.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I own a VCDS and I can vouch that it is the best tool out there for VW/Audi. It has paid for itself ten times over in the 5 years I have owned it. The support is top notch, the software is updated regularly, and their website has a ton of information of how to use it.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Fwiw the vcds can be used as a generic code reader on non VW/Audi vehicles.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
578 Posts
Fwiw the vcds can be used as a generic code reader on non VW/Audi vehicles.
I went ahead and bought the Schwaben pro scanner by foxwell from ECS tuning. For only $211 it is a decent buy. Can do adaptions, activate and test some components like fuel pumps/ relays, egr purge valve. Much better than just a code reader. No need for computer. Besides being loaded with VAG software also has GM. Also does freeze frame and graphing. Maybe not as sophisticated as VCDS but definitely better than the usual code readers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get an ELM327 WiFi or Bluetooth adapter from Amazon. $10+. I use the VeePeak Mini WiFi version for $17.99. Get the OBD Fusion app for iPhone (Wifi $9.99) or Android (Bluetooth $3.99). Does all of the diagnostics but also lets you customize "Dashboards" to show any PIDs you like. i.e.; Fuel Trims, MAF readings, Fuel economy, Intake air temp, etc. It'll basically show you everything your ECM knows. AND... you can use it while you drive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts