Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Mods vary in price. The DRL mode that I did cost 10 credits which I think is the most expensive. Google Search: OBDeleven

10 credits cost $1.49. 100 credits cost $13.99.

Keep in mind that long coding is free even though I have no experience with that yet.

Your Porsche example is close, but I would use the Apple example. You pay for the name and the fact that people have been brainwashed to think that you "get what you pay for". Most Android, MS, and Chromebook, etc devices can do everything you can on a crApple device and they cost half the price or less.

Note that I did just order a $200 Ross-Tech VCDS HEX-V2 cable also. Now I will have both and will be able to speak from experience. While I love the ease of the GUI, there are just some things that I want to be able to dig deeper.

Most expensive words in history: That's the way we have always done it.
Okay, so don't sound too expensive, based on your example. 10 mods for around $14.

Great move to get a HEX-V2. Will be interesting to see what codes ODB Eleven make to the long coding (that you will be able to check before and after each mod).

You will also be able to compare the scan output of the two, and check the detailed information for any errors.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I will add that the OBDeleven team has added new functionality to the original software. There are many new options that were not available when I bought mine last year. There is also a link to submit ideas that they might work to incorporate into the next build. Obviously it will only include tried and true changes and not dreams. ;)

Also, I have saved up 48 free tokens over time just by opening the software on a daily basis. So I have many changes that I can make that cost me nothing but a few seconds a day.

Also (from FAQ page):

Next generation device – more processing power, it works on Android and iOS, and will support more car brands when software will be ready.

First generation works on Android and supports only VAG group vehicles.​

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the OBDeleven hardware, and am running version 0.14.3 of the OBDeleven software.

Being an I.T. person, I quite like the OBDeleven product, and the interface can be self-taught if you are a code-savvy.

And yes, long coding is always zero cost with OBDeleven. Just remember to toggle the bytes in reverse bottom-up order in OBDeleven to match any VCDS left-to-right codes you are translating from the Web.

If you are not friends with binary programming, there are many single-click alternatives that automate binary coding in the software. These 'apps' are a couple dollars each, or outright free if you watch advertisements every couple of days. In the screenshot below, you'll see that I have accumulated 51 free credits just by watching advertisements on the phone while I'm on the treadmill at the gym.

I suggest beyond the price difference, there are three standout benefits that OBDeleven has over VAG COM:

1. OBDeleven is convenient small form factor: an Android or iOS phone or tablet is much more cabin-friendly than a Windows laptop.

2. Car shopping support: if you are shopping for a used Vdub, Audi, Bentley, Lambo, Bentley: this is an excellent diagnostic tool you can bring on your test drive. No clunky laptop needed, just your smartphone in your pocket and the bluetooth dongle under the dash.

3. You can do live data monitoring as graphs/gauges: you can use OBDeleven to watch your DPF buildup, EGR temperature, boost pressure, urea level, and so on, all pushed to your mobile device mounted to your dashboard.

Here are some screenshots of the software on both my Android tablet and smartphone:

Ultimately, I suggest that VCDS and OBDeleven are an apples-to-oranges comparison.

OBDeleven Pro is more affordable, more portable, and in some ways is more beginner-friendly. Alternatively, VCDS will give you access to more coding tweaks and access to a live support person if you need mentoring.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Good writeup iamcanadian783.
Many good points made. If you're an IT tech good at coding maybe you can figure out for the group how to change the ever elusive comfort blinks from three to a higher # for the T3's and up. So far noone has been able to crack that egg.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good writeup iamcanadian783.
Many good points made. If you're an IT tech good at coding maybe you can figure out for the group how to change the ever elusive comfort blinks from three to a higher # for the T3's and up. So far noone has been able to crack that egg.
Is this the issue you refer to?

If so, then I smell 'unicorn hunt', LOL! Best to start a separate thread for that rabbit hole!

·
Registered
484 Posts
That is the exact issue I refer to. There are already plenty of threads here and on others... even Ross Tech. Nobody has ever figured it out. It is the Unicorn of mods.

·
Registered
121 Posts
OBDeleven does have a forum. Someone has made that suggestion. No one seems to have the answer yet.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts