Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Ross Tech is proven, and supports most Volkswagen and Audi sites i come across. But i am glad to see something new (new to me) on the market.
I am about to order one, but wanted some feedback from anyone who has tried one. I have an android device, so that is not a concern. The price of it, and any search will show, its a good product. I will update once I pull the trigger.

·
Learner
4,660 Posts
Been tempted to buy one and try it out against vcds but missing info on label files and the process to update them appears slow.
So look ahead to your experience on how its better

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Look at Carista as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is very true.... however, I feel a healthy competition forces prices down for everyone. If this OBD turns out to be as good as Ross Tech, than hopefully they will bring down their prices...but , first I need to see how good it is...lol

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
There's more to this type of device than just producing a reader. Where Ross-Tech score is with their back up and support. If other readers' staff can match that depth of experience then you might see some competition otherwise Ross-Tech will still be out in front.

·
Registered
31 Posts
One of the local guys uses this for is SQ5 and S5, claims it can do everything that VAG-Com can but there's a learning curve since the layouts are different. It also has macro's of sorts that allow you to set specific options or coding changes without needed to know the coding. However those are add-on's that you have to buy credits to access.

I think we're going to see more competitors start to hit the market, especially since the Enthusiast version of Ross-tech is VIN limited. Competition is always a good thing, drives down prices and forces everyone to improve their products to the benefit of the consumer.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used one of these last night, labels were wrong for the car it was being used on (Passat). Checked off comfort windows open and close remotely, and it instead disabled the fuel door opening with the switch on a Passat. So they must use generic labels for bytes and bits, that vary from vehicle to vehicle. In order to actually get comfort windows open and close we had to check a bunch of unlabeled bits in a completely separate byte menu.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought an OBDeleven last year and I thought I'll buy a VAG-COM at a later date. Dumb move, especially since I was new to car diagnostics. I should have bought the VAG-COM first and OBDeleven later. OBDeleven can do everything that VAG-COM can and display all the readings (and change values if needed) but does not tell you what those values are about. It is when you enter a Physics classroom and see numbers like 3.14159 and 9.807 scribbled on the board. Those numbers would be useful to you only if you know what they are! Only if you have taken some classes in Physics would you know that the first number is Pi and the second is Earth's gravity constant. It is the same thing with OBDeleven. It shows you the readings but you have no clue what those are unless you are already well-learnt in VAG-COM or other hi-tech VW scanners.

And that brings us to the practical application of OBDeleven. It is not for newbies. It is a light, mobile, pocket scan tool for those who already are well learned in using VAG-COM or factory scan tools. Newbies would accomplish little with this tool and will spend most of the time scratching their heads.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought an OBDeleven last year and I thought I'll buy a VAG-COM at a later date. Dumb move, especially since I was new to car diagnostics. I should have bought the VAG-COM first and OBDeleven later. OBDeleven can do everything that VAG-COM can and display all the readings (and change values if needed) but does not tell you what those values are about. It is when you enter a Physics classroom and see numbers like 3.14159 and 9.807 scribbled on the board. Those numbers would be useful to you only if you know what they are! Only if you have taken some classes in Physics would you know that the first number is Pi and the second is Earth's gravity constant. It is the same thing with OBDeleven. It shows you the readings but you have no clue what those are unless you are already well-learnt in VAG-COM or other hi-tech VW scanners.

And that brings us to the practical application of OBDeleven. It is not for newbies. It is a light, mobile, pocket scan tool for those who already are well learned in using VAG-COM or factory scan tools. Newbies would accomplish little with this tool and will spend most of the time scratching their heads.
this is by far the most accurate comparison and analogy for the two.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Jesse M's comment is right on point.
Buy the Vag-Com first.Learn your way around w/it. Then if you want a portable option that works with an Android phone, as OBDEleven will only work w/an Android, then get the OBDEleven.

The one advantage of OBDEleven is that (I believe) it doesn't limit you to only 3 vehicles VIN #'s you can use it on like Vag-Com does.
I bought the OBDEleven first, but soon after got Vag-Com. I now use my OBDEleven to help friends I know who have VW's.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Someone mentioned Carista; I'll chime in on that. In my experience, it's very dependent on Model, year, and feature set. I had a 2014 Passat Wolfsburg and it did a fantastic job of listing available options and enabling comfort close and other features. On my first Touareg, a 2015 VR6, it was very much hit and miss- it listed all the common changes you see in the forums, but only a couple had any effect. 2016 TDI was the same way. On my 2018 Passat R-line, I don't think it was accurate at all and as far as I can tell did not effect a single feature.
VCDS did require a little bit of research for my Touareg, but the results were much easier to achieve than I though they'd be, and they are very accurate. If I seek to change something and my feature set supports it, it changes.
On my '18 Passat R-line, I'm not seeing much info for it yet, but I haven't looked in a couple months.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just bought the OBDeleven. I wanted to make simple changes (GUI based) and then work on the long coding later. Supposedly the OBDeleven is coming out with the long coding option. Using the GUI based options requires "tokens". Mine only came with 10 free tokens. I used those tokens to complete three mod's: "Scandinavian DRL's", Mirror Dip, and some other one. They make it easy with a touch of the screen. The OBDeleven App will accumulate more tokens daily if it is opened. You can also purchase more if needed.

·
Registered
508 Posts

Yep, you're describing my experience. I've tweaked a few things and activated the Green Menu but have no idea how to use it beyond the macros. By the way, you don't need to buy credits. You can acquire them by watching ads.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yep, you're describing my experience. I've tweaked a few things and activated the Green Menu but have no idea how to use it beyond the macros. By the way, you don't need to buy credits. You can acquire them by watching ads.
So if you end up doing several mods to your VW car, and then want to do the same mods on you wife's VW car as well, would the cost of purchasing the required credits end up costing close to (or exceed) that of a 3-VIN Ross Tech HEX-V2 cable?

There are a few saying that come to mind:

"You buy cheap, you buy twice"
"You get what you pay for"

·
Registered
508 Posts
So if you end up doing several mods to your VW car, and then want to do the same mods on you wife's VW car as well, would the cost of purchasing the required credits end up costing close to (or exceed) that of a 3-VIN Ross Tech HEX-V2 cable?

Yes, it costs credits to do the same mod on a different car and also costs credits if you want to deactivate a mod you've installed. However bought credits are relatively cheap and it's not hard to accumulate free ones by watching a few ads. You're still well ahead of the cost of a VCDS.

Also, it's the macros that cost credits, not manual entry.

·
Registered
113 Posts

If you want quick and simple than OBDeleven is an "option". With the GUI menu I can make a change in less than a minute. I can make changes sitting anywhere. I pull out my phone, connect to the wireless OBD device, find the GUI button and activate it. Done. I can check and clear error codes on all 26 control units in my '14 Treg at any time.

The credits are inexpensive. Since they are not a sponsor I won't post a link, but there is also a forum on their site for more information and tips.

I highly recommend experiencing one before passing judgement. I will sell you mine for $200 if paying more for something makes you feel better. ;)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yes, it costs credits to do the same mod on a different car and also costs credits if you want to deactivate a mod you've installed. However bought credits are relatively cheap and it's not hard to accumulate free ones by watching a few ads. You're still well ahead of the cost of a VCDS.

Also, it's the macros that cost credits, not manual entry.
Wow. I did not realise that it cost you to deactivate a mod that you may have paid for in the first place. That sucks.

So if you wanted to trial a number of mods (to see if you like the behaviour), you will be burning through your credits. :surprise:

Regarding the accumulating of credits, it sounds like how it works when you are trying to accumulate credits when playing some PC racing games...

You watch 5 ads and get 5 credits (or those keys), ie. Asphalt 8

Eventually, in a month, you have collected enough to perform another car modification/upgrade.

As it is when playing "Asphalt 8", this is very time consuming and I only do this in the background (on my laptop) while watching TV.

This is this reason that so many gamers go and cough up real money to buy enough credits to purchase a car (in this game), up to $120+. Big rort.

Getting VCDS may be more up front, but you are paying for the convenience and don't need to top up credits by paying extra or by spending time to watch a certain number of advertisements.

PS. My newly purchased HEX-V2 (3-vin) cable is going really well. I will do a review shortly of the benefits I have observed over the older HEX-CAN-USB cable.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you want quick and simple than OBDeleven is an "option". With the GUI menu I can make a change in less than a minute. I can make changes sitting anywhere. I pull out my phone, connect to the wireless OBD device, find the GUI button and activate it. Done. I can check and clear error codes on all 26 control units in my '14 Treg at any time.

The credits are inexpensive. Since they are not a sponsor I won't post a link, but there is also a forum on their site for more information and tips.

I highly recommend experiencing one before passing judgement. I will sell you mine for $200 if paying more for something makes you feel better. ;)
You make some good points. For quick mods and as as you said, to check faults (both wirelessly), it is a great tool.

May not have commented hastily if someone had mentioned that it was inexpensive to buy extra credits. An earlier post mentioned they charge extra to remove a modification.

BTW: what is the typical cost of buying enough credits to perform a modification on a Touareg. ie. $5, $10...

It sounds like the experience when you go to consider buying a Porsche. You have to pay extra for things that should be included in the original purchase price.

PS. I don't buy second hand equipment.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You make some good points. For quick mods and as as you said, to check faults (both wirelessly), it is a great tool.

May not have commented hastily if someone had mentioned that it was inexpensive to buy extra credits. An earlier post mentioned they charge extra to remove a modification.

BTW: what is the typical cost of buying enough credits to perform a modification on a Touareg. ie. $5, $10...

It sounds like the experience when you go to consider buying a Porsche. You have to pay extra for things that should be included in the original purchase price.

PS. I don't buy second hand equipment.
Mods vary in price. The DRL mode that I did cost 10 credits which I think is the most expensive. Google Search: OBDeleven

10 credits cost $1.49. 100 credits cost $13.99.

Keep in mind that long coding is free even though I have no experience with that yet.

Your Porsche example is close, but I would use the Apple example. You pay for the name and the fact that people have been brainwashed to think that you "get what you pay for". Most Android, MS, and Chromebook, etc devices can do everything you can on a crApple device and they cost half the price or less.

Note that I did just order a $200 Ross-Tech VCDS HEX-V2 cable also. Now I will have both and will be able to speak from experience. While I love the ease of the GUI, there are just some things that I want to be able to dig deeper.

Most expensive words in history: That's the way we have always done it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts