Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any V10 owner experienced an oil leak in the valley of the engine? Both times I've been in there trying to track it down theres a large pool of oil under where the alternator sits. I've replaced just about every oil orifice I could think of in there. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the seal where the alternator gear meets the engine block could cause this? If so is it even replaceable with the engine in the car. It looks like I could get the gear off im just afraid it may mess up the timing pulling the bolt out. The seal is like 30 bucks at the dealer but he asked the technicians and none of them had any idea about changing it. In the picture its the pully gear that mates with the rubber coupling coming off the alternator. Any advice would be appreciated. I'll also be posting a DIY in the near future of walnut shell blasting these nasty looking intake ports, every single one of them has probably an 1/8" of carbon build up on the ports and valves and its causing me to have misfires and horrendous fuel economy (at least im hoping so).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Is that the BKW engine? What year? Doesn’t look like what I remember from my generator replacement last year. Your oil filter stand is not leaking is it? My drive seal was in great condition at 120k. You would need to buy the installer tool. Even so it is a bear to get all the way in. Be sure to protect the pressure switch on your left from wayward hammer blows!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that the BKW engine? What year? Doesn’t look like what I remember from my generator replacement last year. Your oil filter stand is not leaking is it? My drive seal was in great condition at 120k. You would need to buy the installer tool. Even so it is a bear to get all the way in. Be sure to protect the pressure switch on your left from wayward hammer blows!
Yes sir its the BKW. Im pretty confident the oil filter housing is not the culprit due to the large pool of oil sitting under the alternator. If it was leaking I dont see how it could go over that metal divider. It would just bleed around the side of the oil filter housing and down the front of the block. Here is a excellent drawing of what im 90% sure is happening lol. But I've replaced the banjo bolt and and crush washers to both of those turbo feed lines and a new oil pressure switch so I've all but eliminated those as the source. I suppose the only other culprit could be where the oil cooler is located on the oil filter housing just under where the oil filler neck is. Ive replaced the rubber gasket on the filler neck also. Do you know the part # for that seal installation tool or what it even looks like? I dont have a repair manual readily available to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes sir its the BKW. Im pretty confident the oil filter housing is not the culprit due to the large pool of oil sitting under the alternator. If it was leaking I dont see how it could go over that metal divider. It would just bleed around the side of the oil filter housing and down the front of the block. Here is a excellent drawing of what im 90% sure is happening lol. But I've replaced the banjo bolt and and crush washers to both of those turbo feed lines and a new oil pressure switch so I've all but eliminated those as the source. I suppose the only other culprit could be where the oil cooler is located on the oil filter housing just under where the oil filler neck is. Ive replaced the rubber gasket on the filler neck also. Do you know the part # for that seal installation tool or what it even looks like? I dont have a repair manual readily available to me.
Did changing the seal resolve your issue? I seem to be looking at the same problem. Checked the oil lines and fittings to the turbo charger supply lines and they seem to be ok. The only other possible place for a leak is the seal on the drive shaft for the alternator. Any advice on procedure in changing the seal from your experience?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did changing the seal resolve your issue? I seem to be looking at the same problem. Checked the oil lines and fittings to the turbo charger supply lines and they seem to be ok. The only other possible place for a leak is the seal on the drive shaft for the alternator. Any advice on procedure in changing the seal from your experience?
Yes changing that seal did resolve my issue. Its not hard to do, however im not sure how close you are with your local dealership but you will need a couple special tools to do it. My parts department guy was nice enough to let me borrow them for a couple days he said I dont think we will be changing the drive seal on a V10 TDI anytime soon lol. I just think he feels bad for me for the amount of visits I make there to order parts for this and the W8 im restoring hahah. Although you could probably manage without them it would be difficult to align the new seal properly and hammer it into place. I have a screenshot of the repair manual procedure I'll have to dig through it to find it. Keep me posted if you need any help with excavating the valley of the engine 😂.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes changing that seal did resolve my issue. Its not hard to do, however im not sure how close you are with your local dealership but you will need a couple special tools to do it. My parts department guy was nice enough to let me borrow them for a couple days he said I dont think we will be changing the drive seal on a V10 TDI anytime soon lol. I just think he feels bad for me for the amount of visits I make there to order parts for this and the W8 im restoring hahah. Although you could probably manage without them it would be difficult to align the new seal properly and hammer it into place. I have a screenshot of the repair manual procedure I'll have to dig through it to find it. Keep me posted if you need any help with excavating the valley of the engine 😂.
I am ok in the valley. Its familiar ground. How did you remove the seal? Did you pry it out with a screw driver after removing the drive sprocket?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used the VW special tool puller. You could probably use a screwdriver but my old one was on there pretty good and i would be afriad of marring up the sealing surface.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used the VW special tool puller. You could probably use a screwdriver but my old one was on there pretty good and i would be afriad of marring up the sealing surface.
Ok. Thanks a lot, I appreciate all the info. I found an installer tool, I will look around for the extractor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts