Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi there, over the years I have had many VW's, started with a Caddy(great little van), then a Jetta turbo(tried to kill me with plough understeer in the wet..), then a Passat R36 Sedan(wow!), then a Passat V6 Highline Wagon(nice car but a real family car.), then another Passat R36 - Wagon this time, and then a T5 LWB TDI400 High Roof Van (Still have it) and now.... A TOUAREG!

I am a bit of a VAG tragic, in between the above cars I have also had three Audi's, a 2007 A6 3.0TDI Quattro, a 2008 A6 Allroad and a 2008 Q7 4.2 TDI.
The Audi's were all great cars, the Q7 of which I loved the most(what isn't there to love about 760nm of torque???) I needed something to replace the Q7 that was a bit more modern and met all of my needs of Towing, offroad capability, space and comfort. Another Q7 was way out of my price range.

I hesitantly looked at a Prado Kakadu and came away suitably unimpressed by the drivetrain (seriously toyota, get your act together...5 speed auto? in 2012?and a massey ferguson motor????)

The Touareg was the top of the list every time I went through my options, so off to the closest dealer that had one for sale and went for a test drive - very impressed, drives like a smaller Q7 (Strange that!) perfect! and yes, it doesn't have that same V8 growl that the Q7 had but it uses about 30% less diesel and is so much quieter.

Oops, I have been raving on about the journey and haven't said what Touareg I bought...

2013 V6 180TDI 4XMotion, White with Areaview, has (Had) done 11,000km when I picked it up, was delivered new on 14 January 2014 so still has 9 months of Factory warranty left.

The car was in southport QLD so a road trip was in order to get it back to Victoria, pricing for freighting it down was about $530, pretty much what it cost to drive it down myself, but who would pass up an opportunity for a road trip in the new car? So a mate and I flew up to Qld and drove it back. Great trip, averaged 8.2l/100km travelling with the cruise control set to 115 km/h.

First thing to be fitted was a tow bar and anderson plug so we can tow our camper trailer, next thing was to fit my tekonsha P3 brake controller which doesnt really fit with the car having a knee airbag so I am going to go down the Redarc TowPro Elite path, that should be done this week.

I am so glad I got the 4XMotion version with low range, the biggest problem I had with the Q7 off road was it's lack of engine braking on steep downhill sections, no shortage of grunt to go up the hills but coming down was a bit of a workout of the brakes which is not the optimal way down!

I have a full set of 18 inch Q7 wheels with General grabber AT2 tyres that will go on for any camping trips away (next weekend!!) will take some photos and post them up here!

Meanwhile, here she is.

Really impressed with the forum so far, hope to make some new friends and memories with the new car.

Matthew:)

**Mod edit - amend image orientation

·
Registered
198 Posts
Welcome :)
Is that photo to show we are "down under"? haha

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,606 Posts
sorted :)

Welcome Matthew. The 7P 180 is my next Touareg (as I think the R Line is just a few sheckles beyond my budget)

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's been fixed for you by a mod :)

Snap!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorted :)

Welcome Matthew. The 7P 180 is my next Touareg (as I think the R Line is just a few sheckles beyond my budget)
Hi Steve, thanks for fixing it, can you also delete my second try?

and yes, an R line would have been my choice but the sheckles problem always seemed to rear it's ugly head, I really wanted a Low KM one, and that just put them far out of reach, very happy with the 180 so far, I will take it off road next weekend and see how it goes.

Matthew

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Congratulations.

T3 TDI's are some darned good, no, make that GREAT vehicles.

I've got 30,000 miles and 32,000 miles on mine and I'm still loving it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I hope that someday, there will be a T4 TDI with the same, at least 7,700 lb tow capacity and maybe even better MPG.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I hope that someday, there will be a T4 TDI with the same, at least 7,700 lb tow capacity and maybe even better MPG.
Hoping here, too.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Since the T4 is the current model, I think you mean the T5 [which is actually the T3] which is due next year!

At least you are happy with your 2 T2s [AKA T3s]!!

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I'll settle for a next-gen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts