Club Touareg Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
My DIY brake controller and power feed to 12 pin Aussie socketinstall

Thanks to the info provided here, I quickly determined that my new-to-me 2014 TDI does not have the brake controller wiring to the dash area, but the wires do exist at the green plug. As well as a brake controller install, I wanted an Australian 12 pin socket wired to suit my Jayco camper trailer. This required a 15A "ignition" circuit to power the 3-way fridge while on the move.

So I needed an additional 3 wires from front to back, and additional 1 out through the body to the socket. Turned out there was a "spare" I could use for the latter.

All my wiring details are documented in the PDF attachment. I could have made a 13 pin to 12 pin adapter, but thought it easier and more reliable to just cut off and replace it. There was ample slack in the loom giving plenty of room to work. I also added a "trailer detected" LED for confirmation. Even though the trailer has LED lighting, it is detected ok. It's supposed to take 5W load minimum for that; perhaps the lights have built-in load resistors or the trailer controller has been adjusted in later models due to the prevalence of LED trailer lights I will do some tests when I get time...

At the back I just cut the 3 wires off at the green plug and joined them with male/female spade lugs to lengths of 4mm wire. Running 3 wires to the front was quite easy; no need to actually remove all the trims, they can be poked through to the back seat area with a bit of stiff wire, then just be tucked under the trim edges a bit at a time. Select a couple of empty fuse slots that are on the "ignition" circuit and use fuse taps with 15A fuses; one for the brake controller and one for the power feed.

Hope my first post on this forum is useful for others :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
After many years of being certain and outspoken that Electric Brake Controller wiring was standard for Touaregs, I am having to "Eat Humble Pie".

Dragline 1570 (Mark) and I have been having a lengthy conversation over the past couple of days as to how he was failing to find the connector under the dashboard for the Electric Brake Controller on an MY06. So being logical fellows we deduced that the other end of the harness, being the Green Socket in the Right Rear Compartment would be a good place to start. I even suggested using an "F-Set" cable tracer as used in IT Networks ( my old field ).

Well, when we looked at the green socket ( see attached pictures) we expected to see; 2 x BROWN earth wires (pins 2 & 3) , 1 x BLUE brake power feed (Pin 6) and 1 x BLACK/RED (Pin 5) brake signal wire, as presented on my vehicle ( MY08 ).

Well …………...we didn’t !!! They were not fitted, however the two Brown Earth Wires were present, All alone in the world. Further investigation found that the Fuse SC19 (right hand side dash) was only provisioned with the “hot” side aand the fused side female was not installed. To irrefutable proof that this vehicle was NEVER fitted with this option in the factory. Mark feels there is a correllation with MY06 vehicles as this is not the first one that he has “failed” to find. This would be interesting to determine.

I does not appear to be a normal factory “option” as it does not appear on the “Vehicle Specific Information” pdf for my vehicle downloaded from Irwin. Had it been a user option, it should be included on this list. Which it is not!

I have owned my Touareg for eight years and it still continues to surprise me.

How to determine that your vehicle is or is not fitted, and how to save time searching for “nothing” is to check the following list;

(a) Check the Green Socket (T6cd) in the rear right quarter. For the presence of the Blue and the Red/Black wires.
(b) Double check that supplied terminal for Fuse SC19 (RH Front) is provided for.

If both are missing, then save the effort and don’t even start to look.

I have attached a “marked up” Current Flow Diagram showing what is or or not missing on your car, as well as some photos showing what I have described above.

I hope this makes life a little simpler for future installations.

Kind Regards
Stuart….

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting. I was drawn to the Gen1 TREG because of the off road features but ended up getting a 2015 TDI LUX with the factory tow hitch and assumed it would be easy to connect a brake controller...now I have something to double check LOL!

·
Registered
2 Posts
MY14.5 7P V6 TDI 180

OK, so the efforts so far:
  • Search for and read all previous posts on finding the thing - CHECK
  • Ignore the ones from left hand drive countries where the thing magically appears in minutes- CHECK
  • Follow hedditch's instructions to find (a) the green socket in the right rear quarter and (b) the fuse sc19* (RH front) - CHECK and CHECK
    • *curiously there was already a fuse (5 amp, I think) in this location
  • Remove the panel under the dash (4 torx screws in RHDrive vehicle, not 2 as per LHDrives), fish around unsuccessfully in contorted positions feeling for the cylindrical foam containing the socket as high up as I can reach under the dash-CHECK
  • Unscrew fuse panel at RH front and unbolt mount for ECM to try to get extra access, again unsuccessfully - CHECK
  • Buy inspection camera to go hunting where no hand will fit, again all to no avail - CHECK
Total time engaged - approx 3 hours.

Many have said "it's there, just persevere", but I'm getting jack of it. And with my surgically restabilized shoulders (yes, both of them), reaching up and twisting into tight spaces, in a manner where I've had dislocations in the past, is making me feel woozy.

So, can anyone from Aus (or NZ, cuz) who has had difficulty finding it, offer any suggestions that might help. Including a referral to someone in Melbourne who knows Touaregs who I can pay to find it for me. Am I right in trying to feel for a cylindrical foam covering? Now that I have the required socket ready to connect to the Tekonsha controller, I have a better idea of the size of the plug I'm feeling for, but I'm still lost trying to navigate for it literally in the dark.

Reward offered!

Mike
@MikeyS , @DesS

Based on what I've found the Australian delivered 7P does not have the wiring installed (the 7L did, as that's what my old man has and he found his plug no problem). Best way to check is to remove the internal panel on the right side of the boot. You'll easily find the green plug and like mine you'll see only earth wires coming out of it, but if you have a factory tow pack installed the side that goes to the trailer plug WILL have the red and blue wires there. The space in the fusebox has the live side, but not the other side. Basically you need the connector to go into the fusebox and to run 2 wires (red and blue) from the dash back to the green plug. I'm in Melbourne, so if you haven't already solved it and want a hand let me know.

Andrew

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes Aussie 7P's do NOT have the pre-wiring. I'm picking up my new CR today and assume it will also NOT have the wiring (given the "blank" look I got from the dealer, and I've opted to go with one of the "portable" wiring harnesses so I can move it between the Touareg, my son's Amarok and so my Sister can use it in her Triton when she borrows my car trailer.
I actually did a complete DIY article for installing a controller in the Aussie forum. It's here.. DIY Brake Controller Install for Oz 7P Tregs without factory tow preparation
I've been using it for the last almost 4 years without a problem. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes Aussie 7P's do NOT have the pre-wiring. I'm picking up my new CR today and assume it will also NOT have the wiring (given the "blank" look I got from the dealer, and I've opted to go with one of the "portable" wiring harnesses so I can move it between the Touareg, my son's Amarok and so my Sister can use it in her Triton when she borrows my car trailer.
I actually did a complete DIY article for installing a controller in the Aussie forum. It's here.. DIY Brake Controller Install for Oz 7P Tregs without factory tow preparation
I've been using it for the last almost 4 years without a problem. Good Luck!
Thank Darrin,

I did see your post when looking at how to do mine (and wasting many, many hours looking for a plug that didn't exist). As mine has the factory tow kit the blue and red wires are already connected from the green plug to the trailer plug.
I bought the VW/Audi/etc spade connectors that fit into the factory plugs so have just plugged into the green plug for blue and red wires and then run them up to the front. Got power from the fuse box by buying the VW/Audi/etc fuse connector that fits into the fuse box so I'm using the correct fuse number and everything is neat and tidy. Mine is a Redarc tow pro elite v3 and I have the remote switch right next to the dimmer switch.

Andrew

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The recommended auto-elec I went to, who has done many Tregs, Cayennes and Q7's said the plug isn't there. I'm happy the job's done. Darrin, I'm surprised I didn't find your excellent write-up in all the forum searching I did. Oh well, too late now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes the forum search is quite hit and miss I find. I even had trouble finding my original post and I knew what I was looking for...

61 - 68 of 68 Posts