Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Post a pic of what you're looking at. If you are looking at the correct connector at the back, you should either have 3 or 4 wires going into it..... you're looking at something with two wires....

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I don't see the RED\BLACK wire in your connector.... according to the diagram in the initial post, that's what goes to your under dash connector "if it's there"

·
Registered
229 Posts
The correct plug should be a black 4 connector plug with black with red (Brake signal), Brown (ground), red with yellow (+12 volt power), and blue (to brake circuit at the rear).
This plug will be well disguised wrapped tightly in gray foam and tucked out of the way up and to the left over or around the stuff over the fuse block looking a lot like other gray and dark things up there.
I had planned to use butt splices to eliminate the plug and the repair wires expense, but it had too little slack in the cable to get to it.
Four wires, RED/Yellow, BLACK/red,Brown, and Blue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The correct plug should be a black 4 connector plug with black with red (Brake signal), Brown (ground), red with yellow (+12 volt power), and blue (to brake circuit at the rear).
This plug will be well disguised wrapped tightly in gray foam and tucked out of the way up and to the left over or around the stuff over the fuse block looking a lot like other gray and dark things up there.
I had planned to use butt splices to eliminate the plug and the repair wires expense, but it had too little slack in the cable to get to it.
Four wires, RED/Yellow, BLACK/red,Brown, and Blue.
I bought the oem 4 pin plug and the oem yellow wires to connect to that plug and I was aware that it was hard to find. I looked pretty well for an hour or so and pulled all the panels off and still could not find it. I'm thinking it's not there. It will take less time to just set it up via the instruction that came with the Primus IQ controller.

·
Registered
30 Posts
MY14.5 7P V6 TDI 180

OK, so the efforts so far:
  • Search for and read all previous posts on finding the thing - CHECK
  • Ignore the ones from left hand drive countries where the thing magically appears in minutes- CHECK
  • Follow hedditch's instructions to find (a) the green socket in the right rear quarter and (b) the fuse sc19* (RH front) - CHECK and CHECK
    • *curiously there was already a fuse (5 amp, I think) in this location
  • Remove the panel under the dash (4 torx screws in RHDrive vehicle, not 2 as per LHDrives), fish around unsuccessfully in contorted positions feeling for the cylindrical foam containing the socket as high up as I can reach under the dash-CHECK
  • Unscrew fuse panel at RH front and unbolt mount for ECM to try to get extra access, again unsuccessfully - CHECK
  • Buy inspection camera to go hunting where no hand will fit, again all to no avail - CHECK
Total time engaged - approx 3 hours.

Many have said "it's there, just persevere", but I'm getting jack of it. And with my surgically restabilized shoulders (yes, both of them), reaching up and twisting into tight spaces, in a manner where I've had dislocations in the past, is making me feel woozy.

So, can anyone from Aus (or NZ, cuz) who has had difficulty finding it, offer any suggestions that might help. Including a referral to someone in Melbourne who knows Touaregs who I can pay to find it for me. Am I right in trying to feel for a cylindrical foam covering? Now that I have the required socket ready to connect to the Tekonsha controller, I have a better idea of the size of the plug I'm feeling for, but I'm still lost trying to navigate for it literally in the dark.

Reward offered!

Mike

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,020 Posts
I searched for days on end for months (7L - 2007/08 Model).

I had no luck whatsover. So, when we finally hooked up the Tekonsha Brake Controller (Prodigy), my sparky son did all the hard yards while my back was turned. Nekminit, I got an SMS - "Job done".

I have no idea what he connected to, but the damn thing works well. He said he followed the Tekonsha instructions and made some minor adaptations in where he connected to because it's a VW.

Volkwek are a very reputable independant workshop in Melbourne. http://volkwerke.com.au/

Also, there are others listed in this thread https://www.clubtouareg.com/threads/list-of-auz-wide-mechanics-for-treg-nomads.225569/unread

I'm going to merge these 2 posts with Hedditchs thread that has all this info in it, in order to try and maintain some continuity ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just started reading about how to put a trailer hitch, a brake controller, and a 7 pole trailer connected on my 2006 Touareg.

I haven't found a brake controller plug under the driver dash. I'll check again.

The green box in the rear compartment has the 2 brown, 1 red and black, and 1 blue wire.

What plugs into the green box in the rear compartment?

Is that where you plug in a brake controller?

I'm pretty confused at this point.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
My suggestion is to buy an Autobrake which only connects to the trailer. It runs off the 7pin connector at the hitch.
Not cheap but it really works well and you don't have to dig into the wiring and mess with bias adjustments. It's a small computer that runs off of the trailer tail lights. I just put 3000 miles towing our Airstream and it's the best!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My suggestion is to buy an Autobrake which only connects to the trailer. It runs off the 7pin connector at the hitch.
Not cheap but it really works well and you don't have to dig into the wiring and mess with bias adjustments. It's a small computer that runs off of the trailer tail lights. I just put 3000 miles towing our Airstream and it's the best!

I looked at the autowbrake and the tekonsha prodigy 90250. They seem pretty similar.

Do you have any pros/cons for the tekonsha prodigy 9250?

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
It's cheaper for one and it appears that you will still have to bust into the wiring in the VW. I think the Auto Brake is a lot more sophisticated but also twice the price and I didn't have to manually adjust the tailer bias.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Well, it was in my 2012 tdi (built in late 2011)(which did come with the factory tow package installed), it was in the same general area, and was wrapped in a black foam sleeve. It took me no more than an hour to find it. They seem to have been just tucked up anywhere they might sit securely, when the harness was installed. There are many threads here on people searching for them, with varying degrees of success.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2011 TDI. Right side trunk panel connector. This is what I found. I already installed a Curt hitch and need trailer wiring and a brake controller!
What are my options?

·
Registered
2 Posts
After many years of being certain and outspoken that Electric Brake Controller wiring was standard for Touaregs, I am having to "Eat Humble Pie".

Dragline 1570 (Mark) and I have been having a lengthy conversation over the past couple of days as to how he was failing to find the connector under the dashboard for the Electric Brake Controller on an MY06. So being logical fellows we deduced that the other end of the harness, being the Green Socket in the Right Rear Compartment would be a good place to start. I even suggested using an "F-Set" cable tracer as used in IT Networks ( my old field ).

Well, when we looked at the green socket ( see attached pictures) we expected to see; 2 x BROWN earth wires (pins 2 & 3) , 1 x BLUE brake power feed (Pin 6) and 1 x BLACK/RED (Pin 5) brake signal wire, as presented on my vehicle ( MY08 ).

Well …………...we didn’t !!! They were not fitted, however the two Brown Earth Wires were present, All alone in the world. Further investigation found that the Fuse SC19 (right hand side dash) was only provisioned with the “hot” side aand the fused side female was not installed. To irrefutable proof that this vehicle was NEVER fitted with this option in the factory. Mark feels there is a correllation with MY06 vehicles as this is not the first one that he has “failed” to find. This would be interesting to determine.

I does not appear to be a normal factory “option” as it does not appear on the “Vehicle Specific Information” pdf for my vehicle downloaded from Irwin. Had it been a user option, it should be included on this list. Which it is not!

I have owned my Touareg for eight years and it still continues to surprise me.

How to determine that your vehicle is or is not fitted, and how to save time searching for “nothing” is to check the following list;

(a) Check the Green Socket (T6cd) in the rear right quarter. For the presence of the Blue and the Red/Black wires.
(b) Double check that supplied terminal for Fuse SC19 (RH Front) is provided for.

If both are missing, then save the effort and don’t even start to look.

I have attached a “marked up” Current Flow Diagram showing what is or or not missing on your car, as well as some photos showing what I have described above.

I hope this makes life a little simpler for future installations.

Kind Regards
Stuart….

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for your post. I was gonna give up until i red it. I finally found the plug and was able to install the controller. I would’ve took it to a rv place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My DIY brake controller and power feed to 12 pin Aussie socketinstall

Thanks to the info provided here, I quickly determined that my new-to-me 2014 TDI does not have the brake controller wiring to the dash area, but the wires do exist at the green plug. As well as a brake controller install, I wanted an Australian 12 pin socket wired to suit my Jayco camper trailer. This required a 15A "ignition" circuit to power the 3-way fridge while on the move.

So I needed an additional 3 wires from front to back, and additional 1 out through the body to the socket. Turned out there was a "spare" I could use for the latter.

All my wiring details are documented in the PDF attachment. I could have made a 13 pin to 12 pin adapter, but thought it easier and more reliable to just cut off and replace it. There was ample slack in the loom giving plenty of room to work. I also added a "trailer detected" LED for confirmation. Even though the trailer has LED lighting, it is detected ok. It's supposed to take 5W load minimum for that; perhaps the lights have built-in load resistors or the trailer controller has been adjusted in later models due to the prevalence of LED trailer lights I will do some tests when I get time...

At the back I just cut the 3 wires off at the green plug and joined them with male/female spade lugs to lengths of 4mm wire. Running 3 wires to the front was quite easy; no need to actually remove all the trims, they can be poked through to the back seat area with a bit of stiff wire, then just be tucked under the trim edges a bit at a time. Select a couple of empty fuse slots that are on the "ignition" circuit and use fuse taps with 15A fuses; one for the brake controller and one for the power feed.

Hope my first post on this forum is useful for others :)
Hi Mike, I've been reading through your article with interest and have saved your pdf thanks. I have a 2013 TDI Australian Right Hand Drive car which we bought new and now want to put in a brake controller. I've looked all over the dash, both sides, even talked with Volkswagen Australia who tell me there should be one but on the left side, which I find a bit illogical since such a device always needs to be with the driver. Anyway, almost given up on the factory socket so your option of getting in at the green socket sounds best. The question is where is the green socket and how much of the car do I need to dismantle to get to it. Any advise would be appreciated. Regards DesS.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts