Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I just took delivery of the new-to-me 2014 TDI last week..... I've got my 7pin adapter, crimp connectors, OEM plug and controller all in various stages of "on order, pending delivery, pending pickup".....

The plan is to crawl under the vehicle this weekend to see what exists as "pre-wired" and such.... will keep you guys informed as this happens.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I just took delivery of the new-to-me 2014 TDI last week..... I've got my 7pin adapter, crimp connectors, OEM plug and controller all in various stages of "on order, pending delivery, pending pickup".....

The plan is to crawl under the vehicle this weekend to see what exists as "pre-wired" and such.... will keep you guys informed as this happens.
Well, it has been taking longer than expected, but I finally have all the components.
I've installed my Pollak 7pin adapter, and just finished making the Tekonsha to OEM plug (using Macroconn crimp terminals & OEM style 4 pin housing) harness last night, so hopefully this weekend I'll find my alleged OEM plug under dash the to connect to.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I was thankful, that when I had looked up in my wifes 2015 TDI, that the foam wrapped female connector was up where it is on most Tregs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, much to my chagrin, it appears that my 2013 Touareg TDI Lux does not have the foam wrapped female connector. I have the male harness that I ordered off of ebay (can't post URL because I am new) and a Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller from etrailer.com and now I am not sure what to do next.

The local tow and hitch installer suggested that I take my Touareg to the local dealer and get them to install the harness required. Is that a good idea or should I talk to my regular, independent, mechanic?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Good luck, let us know how this works out. My local dealer would not tackle it and my local VW only shop refused to do it. I have asked a few others, none had done one but the were willing to try. The reason why the VW shop refused is that he had done one on his personal Q7 so he could haul a race car and he claimed that the device was too spooky to use as it was inconsistent. My Airstream only weighs about 3100#s. V10's T's weigh a lot...I'm on the fence

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply but I am not sure I want to tow without a brake controller. My 2013 TDI is a little lighter than yours but we are talking about towing about the same weight. As for your mechanic finding it inconsistent, that may be related to the actual brake controller used. I did a fair bit of research and talking to trailer and hitch shops before deciding on the Redarc.

While I have spent ages looking for the female connector behind the dash/fuse box, I haven't figured out how to check the "Green Socket (T6cd) in the rear right quarter" from the original post on this topic. All I have found on YouTube is how to replace the rear bulbs but those show the assembly coming out, not getting behind them. Can anyone give me instructions on how to check?

I suppose I should also check for "Fuse SC19 (RH Front)" too, but again am not sure exactly what that means.

My wife and I purchased this SUV as a tow vehicle and have fallen for it as a daily driver so this thing is getting done!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Doesn't California law require brakes on any trailer over 1500lb??

·
Registered
4 Posts
roalco is correct that California law does require a brake controller if towing more than 1500lbs so that pretty much settles that.

deepmid, those are excellent options and I will investigate if necessary. Thanks for the heads up.

Talking this over with my VW mechanic and the ross-tech scanner detected the presence of a trailer control unit:

69-Trailer -- Status: OK 0000

Address 69: Trailer (J345) Labels: Redir Fail!
Part No SW: 7P0 907 383 F HW: 7P0 907 383 B
Component: Anhaenger H09 0110
Revision: 5A001001 Serial number: 00000179088840
Coding: 020D000000000000
Shop #: WSC 31414 790 00001
VCID: 3B7EDE8ABA84BE9C32-806E

No fault code found.

Searching around for the Part No "7P0 907 383" and it is an "Electronic Control Module For Trailer Towing". Might this be an electric brake controller that is built in to the Touareg? Searching here didn't give me a definitive answer.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The 7P Touaregs control module for trailer towing is, as we understand, a module that senses when a trailer is connected, and modifies certain of the Touaregs dynamic and operational parameters, notably the stability control, in order to increase vehicle safety by reducing the trailers dynamic effect on the Touareg. This is done in one instance by the use of the ABS system to actuate individual wheel brakes to reduce yaw at speed. It is NOT a trailer brake actuator, that choice is left for the owner to decide which make and model he wishes to install.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Mark

hope the pie didn't leave a bad taste .... and i for one tip my hat for a full on BS full of work that you and Drag have nutted out.

Bloody hell is all i can say ..... they had different cradles ...... did that really save in the end ? suppose so when the vehicles are made by machines

still blows me

Cheers boys ............HNY ))))))

After many years of being certain and outspoken that Electric Brake Controller wiring was standard for Touaregs, I am having to "Eat Humble Pie".

Dragline 1570 (Mark) and I have been having a lengthy conversation over the past couple of days as to how he was failing to find the connector under the dashboard for the Electric Brake Controller on an MY06. So being logical fellows we deduced that the other end of the harness, being the Green Socket in the Right Rear Compartment would be a good place to start. I even suggested using an "F-Set" cable tracer as used in IT Networks ( my old field ).

Well, when we looked at the green socket ( see attached pictures) we expected to see; 2 x BROWN earth wires (pins 2 & 3) , 1 x BLUE brake power feed (Pin 6) and 1 x BLACK/RED (Pin 5) brake signal wire, as presented on my vehicle ( MY08 ).

Well …………...we didn’t !!! They were not fitted, however the two Brown Earth Wires were present, All alone in the world. Further investigation found that the Fuse SC19 (right hand side dash) was only provisioned with the “hot” side aand the fused side female was not installed. To irrefutable proof that this vehicle was NEVER fitted with this option in the factory. Mark feels there is a correllation with MY06 vehicles as this is not the first one that he has “failed” to find. This would be interesting to determine.

I does not appear to be a normal factory “option” as it does not appear on the “Vehicle Specific Information” pdf for my vehicle downloaded from Irwin. Had it been a user option, it should be included on this list. Which it is not!

I have owned my Touareg for eight years and it still continues to surprise me.

How to determine that your vehicle is or is not fitted, and how to save time searching for “nothing” is to check the following list;

(a) Check the Green Socket (T6cd) in the rear right quarter. For the presence of the Blue and the Red/Black wires.
(b) Double check that supplied terminal for Fuse SC19 (RH Front) is provided for.

If both are missing, then save the effort and don’t even start to look.

I have attached a “marked up” Current Flow Diagram showing what is or or not missing on your car, as well as some photos showing what I have described above.

I hope this makes life a little simpler for future installations.

Kind Regards
Stuart….

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Your condition aside though, what plug are you looking for and where? The connector you are showing has way too many wires, so you're digging in the wrong spot..... if you're working on brake controller stuff, you're after one with 4 wires (or 3 depending on equipment)

·
Registered
67 Posts
No, that is the right spot. Its in the right rear compartment. Where their photos show a green plug I have a blue one. Bear in mind I'm from South Africa so specifications might vary.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I gave up and I pushed an Autobrake which mounts on the trailer ( Airstream ) it's a small computer that works off the taillights. I did not have to get into the car wiring as it works off the 7pin. Also it works very very well. Not cheap

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys
I came across this post as I was under the dash of my 2012 Australian delivered touareg for a couple of hours and couldn't locate that dam plug.

I then read the original post on this thread and proceeded to check the green plug at the rear of the car and found that i have the blue and red wires going into the plug but nothing coming out the other side. I have no idea which fuse would be the one mentioned in the first post as there is no fuse panel diagrams any where on the car.
Is someone able to tell me from the fact I only have the wires going into the one side of the green plug but nothing out if I'm wasting my time looking for the elusive factory plug under the dash?

Thanks in advance

21 - 40 of 68 Posts