Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After many years of being certain and outspoken that Electric Brake Controller wiring was standard for Touaregs, I am having to "Eat Humble Pie".

Dragline 1570 (Mark) and I have been having a lengthy conversation over the past couple of days as to how he was failing to find the connector under the dashboard for the Electric Brake Controller on an MY06. So being logical fellows we deduced that the other end of the harness, being the Green Socket in the Right Rear Compartment would be a good place to start. I even suggested using an "F-Set" cable tracer as used in IT Networks ( my old field ).

Well, when we looked at the green socket ( see attached pictures) we expected to see; 2 x BROWN earth wires (pins 2 & 3) , 1 x BLUE brake power feed (Pin 6) and 1 x BLACK/RED (Pin 5) brake signal wire, as presented on my vehicle ( MY08 ).

Well …………...we didn’t !!! They were not fitted, however the two Brown Earth Wires were present, All alone in the world. Further investigation found that the Fuse SC19 (right hand side dash) was only provisioned with the “hot” side aand the fused side female was not installed. To irrefutable proof that this vehicle was NEVER fitted with this option in the factory. Mark feels there is a correllation with MY06 vehicles as this is not the first one that he has “failed” to find. This would be interesting to determine.

I does not appear to be a normal factory “option” as it does not appear on the “Vehicle Specific Information” pdf for my vehicle downloaded from Irwin. Had it been a user option, it should be included on this list. Which it is not!

I have owned my Touareg for eight years and it still continues to surprise me.

How to determine that your vehicle is or is not fitted, and how to save time searching for “nothing” is to check the following list;

(a) Check the Green Socket (T6cd) in the rear right quarter. For the presence of the Blue and the Red/Black wires.
(b) Double check that supplied terminal for Fuse SC19 (RH Front) is provided for.

If both are missing, then save the effort and don’t even start to look.

I have attached a “marked up” Current Flow Diagram showing what is or or not missing on your car, as well as some photos showing what I have described above.

I hope this makes life a little simpler for future installations.

Kind Regards
Stuart….

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for this information. Timely for me, installing brake controller is on my soon to do list for the treg - I sortof assumed there would be no provision at all, so if there is (now I know what to look for) that will make life easier!

·
Registered
136 Posts
So after finding provision as described here on my 2007, i am wondering if, once the controller is installed up front, all i have to do is run the blue wire from the t16 connector in the rear right quarter to the trailer plug on tje hitch and im done... Right?

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct!

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
We tow a 17ft Airstream and I need to know how many amps the car sends into the trailer.

I'm guessing about 15amps as it would be good to fuse it on the trailer side.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We tow a 17ft Airstream and I need to know how many amps the car sends into the trailer.

I'm guessing about 15amps as it would be good to fuse it on the trailer side.
The trailer will draw what it needs strictly for the driving lights and brake controller. Otherwise the trailer has its own battery which your vehicle should charge while under way. No additional circuit protection is needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My DIY brake controller and power feed to 12 pin Aussie socketinstall

Thanks to the info provided here, I quickly determined that my new-to-me 2014 TDI does not have the brake controller wiring to the dash area, but the wires do exist at the green plug. As well as a brake controller install, I wanted an Australian 12 pin socket wired to suit my Jayco camper trailer. This required a 15A "ignition" circuit to power the 3-way fridge while on the move.

So I needed an additional 3 wires from front to back, and additional 1 out through the body to the socket. Turned out there was a "spare" I could use for the latter.

All my wiring details are documented in the PDF attachment. I could have made a 13 pin to 12 pin adapter, but thought it easier and more reliable to just cut off and replace it. There was ample slack in the loom giving plenty of room to work. I also added a "trailer detected" LED for confirmation. Even though the trailer has LED lighting, it is detected ok. It's supposed to take 5W load minimum for that; perhaps the lights have built-in load resistors or the trailer controller has been adjusted in later models due to the prevalence of LED trailer lights I will do some tests when I get time...

At the back I just cut the 3 wires off at the green plug and joined them with male/female spade lugs to lengths of 4mm wire. Running 3 wires to the front was quite easy; no need to actually remove all the trims, they can be poked through to the back seat area with a bit of stiff wire, then just be tucked under the trim edges a bit at a time. Select a couple of empty fuse slots that are on the "ignition" circuit and use fuse taps with 15A fuses; one for the brake controller and one for the power feed.

Hope my first post on this forum is useful for others :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Welcome!

Good work, great useful first post.

Good to see newbies come on board contributing to the wealth of information already on this site.

TonyB

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2013 TDI DOES have the under dash plug for the brake controller. So I've been reading different opinions on here, does the newer vintage Touareg still need the relay wired in for say a P2 or P3 or not? eTrailer today still insists it does. Tekonsha tech on phone today says nope, that was on the 2005-2009's and the Prodigy's are updated to accommodate pulse width modulation on the brake line.

Anyone out there successfully wire up a controller to a newer Treg without messing with relays?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have installed a Tekonsha Priomus IQ on my 2014 TDI without requiring a relay and it works perfectly. The IQ is a couple of years old, transplanted from my previous Tiguan TDI.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I put the Prodigy P3 in my wifes 2015 TDI and it was plug and play. No relay, no nothing other than the male harness that plugs into the P3 and a bracket as we swap the P3 from my 2016 Cayenne Diesel to her T3.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Just spent the last hour looking for the prewire and I'm convinced my car is not pre wired under the dash
What is this tapped off red wire group?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
After the dealer told me that my 07 V10 was not set up for a brake controller I took it to my local VW repair shop that confirmed that I do not have a brake controller wire anywhere.
Also the shop told me that because of the voltage drop the brake controller unit would be spotty at best. Meaning the the braking would be inconsistent, which is spooky.

My big question is do I really need a brake controller? My Airstream weighs about 3400#'s. The gods don't seem to be with me when it comes to brake controllers.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
After the dealer told me that my 07 V10 was not set up for a brake controller I took it to my local VW repair shop that confirmed that I do not have a brake controller wire anywhere.
Also the shop told me that because of the voltage drop the brake controller unit would be spotty at best. Meaning the the braking would be inconsistent, which is spooky.

My big question is do I really need a brake controller? My Airstream weighs about 3400#'s. The gods don't seem to be with me when it comes to brake controllers.
From a practical POV yes you should have one. Legally, it varies from state to state and province to province but generally, if the trailer weighs half the tow vehicle you need trailer brakes.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
From reading the all the post, it does appear that wiring it can be done. I am intent on doing so. If my car is close to 6000# and the AS is 3500 or so loaded I really do want one as I'm planing to go around the country thru Canada and hopefully Baja. I just need to find someone in the Bay Area that is willing to try. I spent an hour under the dash an could not find anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too spent probably an hour searching under the dash, before checking the rear connector which confirmed the wiring did not exist. Running 2 new wires front-to-rear took less than an hour. The rest of the work has to be done either way.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts