Club Touareg Forum banner

101 - 120 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can I have the instructions for the firmware upgrade? Or are they bundled into the download file?
You may want to watch this video:
From what I have read this update takes a while and a battery tender or running the car during the entire update is required. If the battery or ignition is turned off during the update you can ruin or brick your unit! I was not able to update my unit due to the above problem in post #99. Good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was able to find these instructions. They should help giving a little more information about the process. These are instructions for a TSB to fix a radio problem but it does outline the firmware process. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
950 Posts
Damn you are awesome, thank you a MILLION. That seems like a piece of cake lol.

·
Registered
950 Posts
My firmware version is 0319

·
Registered
950 Posts
Maybe i'm missing this, but where are the firmware downloads located?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know what would cause this error message. Thanks
I have installed the update, it takes about 45 min. You can shut the motor off with vehicle parked and door closed, leaving the key in the ignition and the update will keep running. Requires no addt'l power source (that must be the Maps update = 3+ hours, 5GB data).

'Path' error I got around by copying all files to root of SD card:
1. Take an SD card and Quick Format it in Windows using Fat32. Name SD card whatever. Does not matter what capacity GB it is.
2. Unzip the RNS850_k0711 folder to the SD card.
3. Name the unzipped folder 'HN+_US_VW_K0711'; delete the zipped folder from SD card (it is saved already on your PC).
4. You should have 1 folder now 'HN+_US_VW_K0711' on SD card root. Open this folder. You should see inside folders 1 and 2; also Metainfo2
5. Copy all (ctrl +a, then ctrl + c) folder 1 and 2 and Metafile2
6. Click 'back' arrow in Windows Explorer to SD card root (you should see folder 'HN+_US_VW_K0711'). Paste here (ctrl + v). Let Windows copy files (5 min.)
7. You should now see 4 items: Metainfo2 file, plus three folders (HN+, Folder1, Folder2)
7. Remove SD card from computer.
8. Place SD card in vehicle glove box media unit.
9. Now follow directions in VW Tech Bulletin TSB_2031434.pdf that was kindly uploaded in post no. 101

·
Registered
950 Posts
I just updated my 2012 touareg firmware
I went from version 0319 to version 0711
I used this link to download it: https://mega.nz/#!oRZh3ISL!VEj6LH3zDZMtQZ4BRQy4C5YOC-YhbKBpN2u4tIB_TEY
I then inserted a 32gb sd card. I formatted it at a mandatory fat32
I then unzipped the downloaded file from above and placed it into the SD card (unzipped version only)
I then followed post 101 to a T (download the PDF, read instructions) and after maybe 20-30 minutes the new firmware was up and operational. I had to resync my cellphone which took seconds. New firmware is fast and fluid. Seems to be a few more options over the old 0319 version. I'll test reverse cam response and connection time to Bluetooth phone tomorrow (this delay was pretty long on original firmware)
I'll also attempt the maps update tomorrow and reply.
yrktrg, thanks a million so far (and everybody else thats helping)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have installed the update, it takes about 45 min. You can shut the motor off with vehicle parked and door closed, leaving the key in the ignition and the update will keep running. Requires no addt'l power source (that must be the Maps update = 3+ hours, 5GB data).

'Path' error I got around by copying all files to root of SD card:
1. Take an SD card and Quick Format it in Windows using Fat32. Name SD card whatever. Does not matter what capacity GB it is.
2. Unzip the RNS850_k0711 folder to the SD card.
3. Name the unzipped folder 'HN+_US_VW_K0711'; delete the zipped folder from SD card (it is saved already on your PC).
4. You should have 1 folder now 'HN+_US_VW_K0711' on SD card root. Open this folder. You should see inside folders 1 and 2; also Metainfo2
5. Copy all (ctrl +a, then ctrl + c) folder 1 and 2 and Metafile2
6. Click 'back' arrow in Windows Explorer to SD card root (you should see folder 'HN+_US_VW_K0711'). Paste here (ctrl + v). Let Windows copy files (5 min.)
7. You should now see 4 items: Metainfo2 file, plus three folders (HN+, Folder1, Folder2)
7. Remove SD card from computer.
8. Place SD card in vehicle glove box media unit.
9. Now follow directions in VW Tech Bulletin TSB_2031434.pdf that was kindly uploaded in post no. 101
Thank you for the detailed instructions! I will try this and post an update. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi everyone!

I read on forum that some guys had version 0170 and then updated to version 711. I'm interested on version 0170. Does anyone have it?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Greetings,
I keep seeing "activation sd" in the PDF. Do I delete the activation folders off of the SD until the map stuff installs? I'm confused on that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just completed the new map update. The instructions are very precise. Thanks again to all who have contributed to this and mostly to the map guru yrktreg. I did notice that after the firmware update the green menu that was activated before no longer seem to work does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
950 Posts
^Did you use the attached PDF??? Why do I keep hearing "don't active first!"? This has me super paranoid.. not sure what activation means or is referring to.

·
Registered
70 Posts
^Did you use the attached PDF??? Why do I keep hearing "don't active first!"? This has me super paranoid.. not sure what activation means or is referring to.
If I recall correctly the PDF file is in folder that says Maps. The instructions are very precise and must be followed to the letter! I used WinRAR to unzip the folders, but I first formatted the sd card Fat32 and named it the appropriate name (which really was a number), that information is in the instructions in each folder of the down loaded files. There is also a jpeg file showing what the contents of what the sd cards contents should look like. Then simply unzip the appropriate folder and move it to the properly formatted and named sd card. I did the maps first following the pdf instructions which I printed out the 7 pages and the update does take forever. Keep your car on a charger or be prepared to let it run with the engine on for 3 hours. After the map update was completed I removed the sd card when the instructions said to and reformatted it to the new file name for the activation following the instructions in the activation folder and everything worked!
My first attempt was done incorrectly, I just sent the entire contents to the sd card and it had both the maps and the activation folders on it and the sd card was not labeled incorrectly. I used a 64 gb card and I formatted it incorrectly, just use a 32 gb card and you should not have this issues formatting Fat32. I realized I did everything wrong after I read the instructions inside the map and activation folders, so I just reformatted a 32 gb card and followed the instructions.
The instructions are in each folder and need to be followed prior to setting up the sd card and transferring them.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hmm Ok I'll check again tonight, I dont remember seeing anything about the activation portion. Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas why I can't install the Maps update. I did follow the directions correctly. Formatted my 32gb SD card fat 32. Named the volume. All files are copied into the root.

I can get through the setup process(setup recognizes the car and it shows the correct NAR version that I'm trying to install from SD1). It seems to start the setup process, but after 1 reboot, after 5 minutes, it seems to just finish the whole process early. I then click through (cancel documentation step), and after another reboot, i check the version, and it's still the old NAR version.

Any ideas on why I seem to be able to get into the setup process ok, but something seems to make it stop short?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas why I can't install the Maps update. I did follow the directions correctly. Formatted my 32gb SD card fat 32. Named the volume. All files are copied into the root.

I can get through the setup process(setup recognizes the car and it shows the correct NAR version that I'm trying to install from SD1). It seems to start the setup process, but after 1 reboot, after 5 minutes, it seems to just finish the whole process early. I then click through (cancel documentation step), and after another reboot, i check the version, and it's still the old NAR version.

Any ideas on why I seem to be able to get into the setup process ok, but something seems to make it stop short?
You may try reaching out to the guru that started this thread he may have some ideas. If I were to make a poke in the dark you may have a corrupt file but I really have no idea! I know these things are frustrating. Keep us posted. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Hmm Ok I'll check again tonight, I dont remember seeing anything about the activation portion. Thank you for the help!
There are two folders that you will download. One is maps, and one is activation.
You can use the exact same SD card, BUT do not put the activation portion on the SD card until AFTER you have already completed the maps updates. When you visit the dealer they use two official SD cards. One is the maps, and one is the activation.
If you run the activation first it will not install the maps.

The instructions are hopefully clear enough where it goes over what the map sd card should be named, and contained as well as the activation folder.

·
Registered
950 Posts
There are two folders that you will download. One is maps, and one is activation.
You can use the exact same SD card, BUT do not put the activation portion on the SD card until AFTER you have already completed the maps updates. When you visit the dealer they use two official SD cards. One is the maps, and one is the activation.
If you run the activation first it will not install the maps.

The instructions are hopefully clear enough where it goes over what the map sd card should be named, and contained as well as the activation folder.
Oh thats excellent! That 100% clears that up for me! Thank you so much. I feel comfortable moving forward with this now

101 - 120 of 234 Posts