Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a model year 16. Would it already have version 12 or would this be an update for me as well? Couldn't find anything in the manual.

Very kind of you to do this yrktrg.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Awesome, thanks. I am going to try to unzip this on my Mac for the helluvit.
Won't work, as there are no mac file systems included
Hi, @yrktreg. Thanks for doing this for the community!

Will you help me understand this? I'm a programmer by trade (I know enough to be dangerous, hahaha).

Is this regarding files that may be hidden when using a mac? Or can you offer more details about the issue with using a Mac?

I have 4 Macs in the home and 1 Linux machine...and no PC, hahaha. Getting access to a PC for this will be challenging.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,387 Posts
Hi, @yrktreg. Thanks for doing this for the community!

Will you help me understand this? I'm a programmer by trade (I know enough to be dangerous, hahaha).

Is this regarding files that may be hidden when using a mac? Or can you offer more details about the issue with using a Mac?

I have 4 Macs in the home and 1 Linux machine...and no PC, hahaha. Getting access to a PC for this will be challenging.
Having first tried this on my Mac, it won't work. I tried numerous apps with no success. For some reason, unzipping on a Mac alters the file structure, or file size; which must be correct in order for the update to work.

Ultimately I unzipped it on my Mac using VMware and Win7.

Reactions: cqhall

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have a model year 16. Would it already have version 12 or would this be an update for me as well? Couldn't find anything in the manual.

Very kind of you to do this yrktrg.
Your is probably 2-3 outdated, your firmware should be good though...

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Having first tried this on my Mac, it won't work. I tried numerous apps with no success. For some reason, unzipping on a Mac alters the file structure, or file size; which must be correct in order for the update to work.

Ultimately I unzipped it on my Mac using VMware and Win7.
Great idea! Yes i've had a few people try, and your spot on something doesn't unzip correctly so it changes the file size which it caught by the checksum so no bueno

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well I messed something up. I went through the update screens, clicked start, and it only took a few minutes before it was on the screen where you check that NaviPersistence says "OK", which it did. After that I clicked "cancel documentation" and it just rebooted to the normal screen. I keep retrying the update, but now it doesn't seem to want to update NaviPersistence, it says "N" on the screen where you press "Start Download". Any suggestions? I'm making a fresh copy of the files on my SD card in case that is the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You had the map files on the SD card first?

It almost sounds like you installed the activation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Would it work to download it to a portable drive with my Mac, then take it to my friend’s PC to unzip it and move it to a SD card? That way I wouldn’t have to tie up his computer with the download.

·
Registered
50 Posts
robbb that'll work just fine. The issue is likely OSX dropping .DS_STORE files into the mix after extraction.

yrktreg I got it working now. I let it sit overnight and made a fresh copy of the files on my SD card and now it's updating properly. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got a used 2017 Touareg sport tech model. I love it! Displaying the NAV info I see HN+_US_VW_P0739
7P6060 884F NAR 6.14.2. Am I up to date as of 7/17/2019? Yesterday, I got some very strange directions while driving south from Eureka California to Santa Rosa on US101. I’m told by the dealer that an update costs $380. Yikes!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Metadata problem?

Really appreciate the offer. I followed the really clear instructions... but after the "NAR 6.16.2 (VW)" screen i get an error saying that the metadata is not readable. Any idea why that happens?

I formatted the SD card on Win10 PC, FAT32. I copied the extracted 7P6051236BF folder, then tried again without the folder -- just everything that is in that folder. No joy.

Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
Really appreciate the offer. I followed the really clear instructions... but after the "NAR 6.16.2 (VW)" screen i get an error saying that the metadata is not readable. Any idea why that happens?
Windows 10 will only format cards larger than 32 GB using exFAT or NTFS (default is exFAT). The RNS850 can only read cards formatted in FAT32. If your card is formatted in exFAT you will receive that error message. Note: If you want to format a larger SD card using FAT32, you will need a third party format utility.

But since you are seeing the NAR 6.16.2, it seems to be reading the card. Be sure the files and folders are in the root of the card, not in a folder. Also check to be sure you correctly renamed the volume label to 7P6051236BF.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks, @yrktreg. I got it to work using a PC, not a Mac as I considered before.

@Veets is correct. I started by using a 64GB card that I had laying around unused, and even Win8 wouldn't format it to FAT32, only exFAT. I tried exFAT and the RNS850 wouldn't see the card.

When I switched to FAT32 everything went according to instructions.

It did take a very long time. I bought a battery "trickle charger" for $40 locally that worked as expected for the job.

@yrktreg, let us know when the new update is available. I'll be the first in line!

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Veets: Nice hints... but same results. My SD card is an old 8GB one, but just to be sure I formatted it again ensuring that FAT32 was used. I renamed the volume as you indicated, and put everything in root directory.

I opened the text files on my PC (without knowing what SHOULD be there), and found one thing that didn't seem correct: The DBinfo.txt file contains:
#description file for database
PartNumber="7P6060884J " # mandatory 11 characters
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="1602" # mandatory 4 characters
SystemName="NAR 2017/2018" # mandatory 13 characters

Is that the correct PartNumber? I would have guessed it to be 7P6051236BF.

I'm tempted to edit the file... but I really don't know what it SHOULD be. Can you confirm?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
165 Posts
@DBob, You need at least a 32 GB SD card to do the update. An 8 GB card is too small. The files in the 7P6051236BF folder total 19.4 GB. I think what is happening is that only part of the files in the folder are transferring to your 8 GB SD card, which would cause the error message you are seeing. You do not need to edit any of the files.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Veets: Now I'm really scratching my head. My PC shows that the entire thing is 3.81 GB... which only uses half of my 8 GB card. What have I done wrong?

·
Registered
165 Posts
@Veets: Now I'm really scratching my head. My PC shows that the entire thing is 3.81 GB... which only uses half of my 8 GB card. What have I done wrong?
Could be that the zip file did not fully download. How big is your downloaded zip file? The unextracted v12.zip file should be 14.3 GB, and will be 19.4 GB after you extract it. If you do have the full zip file, it may not be extracting properly. Extracting takes about 15 minutes on my Windows PC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank to Veets et. al. for the help. Seems the original extraction didn't work correctly, but now I should be good to go after I find a bigger SD card.
Cheers!

21 - 40 of 374 Posts