Club Touareg Forum banner

261 - 271 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have to do it on a Windows PC or a Mac running Windows bootcamp. I did the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It worked under mac... I didn't realize that I had to copy the directories [1] and [2] into the root directory as well as the file [metainfo2.txt] into the root. When I did that and shoved it into the slot it worked perfect. It took almost an hour to complete the firmware update.

to be clear... it did work on mac. I had an old FAT formatted 32GB SD card which i stuck in the SD slot on my mac. copied the zip file onto it. hit extract. and then pulled the extracted files into root rather than [rns850_k0711].

now try the maps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I only have one SD card. I erased all the firmware files and emptied the trash so the entire SD is empty. I also renamed the SD to 7P6051850BF as several people indicated was necessary. How do i set up the maps and then how do I complete the activation part. Is that separate steps? And do I have to erase all the maps data to prepare the SD as an activation SD? I'm a little confused on the procedure post map extraction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I only have one SD card. I erased all the firmware files and emptied the trash so the entire SD is empty. I also renamed the SD to 7P6051850BF as several people indicated was necessary. How do i set up the maps and then how do I complete the activation part. Is that separate steps? And do I have to erase all the maps data to prepare the SD as an activation SD? I'm a little confused on the procedure post map extraction.
I see. Great instructions inside the ZIP.

One final question... does the card actually need to be formatted FAT32? My original card - which worked with MAC to update the firmware - is formatted as FAT and not FAT32. I'm hoping this works without having to find an MS-DOS (Windows based) PC since I don't own one since the card was already formatted as FAT.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
You cannot use a Mac it's been said many times. The world runs on windows.

And yes it MUST be fat32

·
Registered
9 Posts
Firmware update definitely worked using MAC with FAT file system. I was on MU Software 0319 and now I have MU Software 0706.

That said, I don't think the maps updated when I went through the second part of the process because I am never getting the activation screen. How would I know if the maps updated? I ran through the procedure and the unit rebooted several times. But it did not take nearly as long as the firmware upgrade.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Looking at the image you attached, the firmware did not upgrade.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It now shows MU Software 0706 and firmware 711. I think it took. The problem is I can't get the maps to update. The update starts but does not complete.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is VW planning on releasing any more map updates for North America? I don't understand why there are no new releases? What about aftermarket maps? Is this possible? I'm considering an Apple CarPlay kit, but it shouldn't be this hard to get an essential map update from VW.

261 - 271 of 271 Posts